[1.3.x] Dual Flame Totems: Solo, Self-Found, Beginner-friendly. AA+EB!

"
KimchiGirlx3 wrote:
What other ways should I be trying to get INT to equip wands, I only have 38 INT at level 34 and that is even with a Turquoise amulet, I can't use any wands above the level 12 wand with that little of INT. What should I be doing?

You need some INT and DEX from gear until later on. For the 2-week race, I went with a slightly different leveling tree (end result is the same). At around your level, I had this tree.

You can also just grab the Ancestral Knowledge node for +30 INT early on and later respec out of it (much later, and you may even decide to keep it):

It's just one point. I used scepters until the early 60s and then switched to wands as I had more INT from nodes by then.
Last edited by Mivo on May 14, 2014, 4:07:30 AM
Love this build, best character I've had so far! Fun, easy, and OP as fuck. Exactly my style, lol.

I just have a few leveling questions. I just got past lvl 60 headed to docks, and I'm wondering which order to go after the remaining nodes. Here's my tree if you could take a quick look:

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgAAAdwCcQSzBS0LYRDMFE0UcRo4HRQkiyftKhMrtiynPC09D0CgQYdKxFW1VcZZ81orXz9gS2EhZp5nvWh0cql07XgNeGl5aHrvfLt99YTvjEaPRpBVlKCboZ65ns2iAKPypzCnhKyqtz6-isAawQTEFcT2xYrGrs9l0NDYTdpi37_i6uoY7m_wH_au9zL4k_jr-ej60g==

So what would you suggest? I could get the remaining Life Regen in the duelist area, the life and resistance in the Marauder area, or the int and resistance in the Templar area. Which would be most important while grinding out these last long levels? I'm tempted to go for resistance (I'm lacking just a little cold) but I'm wondering if the regen would be more important, or even the int for leveling up gems like Elemental Weakness.

Any advice appreciated, thank you. ;)
"
poepoe091 wrote:
Love this build, best character I've had so far! Fun, easy, and OP as fuck. Exactly my style, lol.

It really ruined me for other builds. For the two-week race, I had wanted to try something different, but then I thought, "Why jeopardize certain success!" and made another character using the same build. :p

"
So what would you suggest? I could get the remaining Life Regen in the duelist area, the life and resistance in the Marauder area, or the int and resistance in the Templar area. Which would be most important while grinding out these last long levels?

I'd play it by ear. Your damage should be more than fine for the level, so you can either get more life or fix the resists. Personally, I'd grab Heart of the Warrior in the Marauder area. That's 16% life, 30 HP, and 10 STR for just three points. Then you could get Diamond Skin for +1% resist cap, 10% all, 8% life and the flask stuff, for another three points (and you'd be directly by the resist nodes if you needed more).

An alternative would be getting the Totem Zeal cluster at the bottom of the tree, which would also give you some DEX, which would alllow you to spec out of the 30 DEX Expertise node below the Marauder area, and connect to the Marauder area differently (gaining 10 DEX in the process), which would save you another couple points. You could probably do both, actually.

For reference, here's the skill tree of my level 65 2-week race character. I addressed the INT issue by getting the Templar passives a bit earlier at the expense of delaying the Duelist ones.

Glad you're having fun with the build! :)
Last edited by Mivo on May 14, 2014, 7:54:24 AM
Ha ha, I know what you mean about being spoiled by the build. I have no idea how I'm going to go back to my Groundslam Marauder, even just to finish story mode.

Thanks for the advice, I was thinking the same thing; Marauder area for the cheap life first of all. It's actually a really good thing I asked you, because I wouldn't have considered that Totemic Zeal. I'm looking at it now, though, and it looks pretty good. ;)
Hello! nice build i enjoyed it at my maruder :)

Could u explain me why u dont take any increase fire dmg or burning dmg nodes?
Near Blood Magic passive are nice group of fire dmg + health nodes, why dont take advantage of this?
is it doesnt affect totem dmg? and how burning dmg is important?

Another Question is: how this build works with Soul Mantle?
get 5x flask of Warding then put 3x Flame totem -profit! :D
so why not?

What would be better minions or traps as dmg filler? and why?

I'm looking forward to your reply!
Last edited by Se6a on May 14, 2014, 8:20:45 PM
"
Se6a wrote:
Could u explain me why u dont take any increase fire dmg or burning dmg nodes?
Near Blood Magic passive are nice group of fire dmg + health nodes, why dont take advantage of this? is it doesnt affect totem dmg? and how burning dmg is important?

Burning damage isn't a major source of damage for this build, it is all about fire/elemental/spell direct upfront damage. The fire damage nodes aren't bad, and if you have spare points, you can get these (e.g. after level 85). It's really just a trade-off: If you take them earlier, which passives would you skip? It would either be at the expense of life, resists, regeneration, or the more general damage nodes.

I've also been toying more with The Three Dragons helm and possibly swapping the Added Chaos Damage gem for Added Lightning Damage (with quality), which would add a chill effect (from The Three Dragons). The lightning damage would then be boosted by elemental and spell damage passives, but not by the fire damage nodes.

"
Another Question is: how this build works with Soul Mantle?
get 5x flask of Warding then put 3x Flame totem -profit! :D
so why not?

What makes Soul Mantle special is that it functions like a Spell Totem, which allows you to use an extra support gem vs. a normal 5L or 6L chest. This feature is completely wasted with Flame Totems, so you are left with a bit of extra spell damage and the extra totem. No resists and no life. IF you use Windscream boots and The Three Dragons, you already lose out on some life. If you use Soul Mantle on top of that, you forgo another source of life and resists.

It's also a pure INT armor, so getting two red (FT, FPen) and two green (GMP, Faster Projectiles) into it will be somewhat costly and fairly difficult (four off colors). And finally, I find it incredibly annoying to have to constantly quaff curse immunity potions. The extra totem isn't really needed and I think the increase in clearing speed just isn't worth the hassle. It's a good chest, but not really ideal for this build. The ideal unique chest would be Kaom's Heart, with a 2H +skills, +fireskills staff, but both of those are hard to come by, and very expensive (Searing Bond isn't BiS for this build, it would need to be a crafted one).

"
What would be better minions or traps as dmg filler? and why?

Neither is really needed. I used Fire Trap for a while, but found it didn't make a large enough difference. What does work well is a custom trap with a quality Shock Nova gem, so that is the route I'd be taking (though with The Three Dragons you get the shock stacks from your fire damage). Minions are distracting monsters too much for too little damage. You want monsters to run to the Flame Totems and get fried (the closer they are, the more damage they take). If you dual-curse mobs, everything outside of bosses just melts very quickly.

As always, feel free to experiment! :)
"
poepoe091 wrote:
It's actually a really good thing I asked you, because I wouldn't have considered that Totemic Zeal. I'm looking at it now, though, and it looks pretty good. ;)

Totemic Zeal appears rather underwhelming at first glance, since it says it increases the "placement speed", which I originally disregarded as "makes me cast totems faster". I felt that was not needed. However, in practice this results in a substantial dps increase, both displayed and felt. I don't entirely know why, but suspect that it affects the casting speed of Flame Totem. The dps increase is similar to the effect you get from increasing your casting speed. This may be a bug, I don't really know. It could also be just poorly worded. In any event, it boosts your damage. :)
Last edited by Mivo on May 15, 2014, 5:24:27 AM
Is it worth getting Mortal Conviction and throwing in a Vitality + Reduced Mana for more regen? Surely the reserved life < The added life regen
IGN shdowe
"
Is it worth getting Mortal Conviction and throwing in a Vitality + Reduced Mana for more regen? Surely the reserved life < The added life regen

I considered it (and had been leveling a Reduced Mana gem for that purpose), but after doing the math it came out inferior:

If we assume 4500 HP (which is somewhat realistic with average gear, The Three Dragons and Windscream, and without Kaom's Heart, though the relative results are the same even with a little less or more life), L20 Reduced Mana, and Mortal Conviction, it would reserve 765 HP, leaving 3735 HP.

L20 Vitality gives you 1.65% HP/sec, so with 3735 HP, that would be an extra ~62 HP per second. With 4500 HP, you regenerate ~347 HP/s, with 3735 HP it is ~288 HP/s, so your net gain with Vitality would be 3 HP per second, at the cost of 765 HP and a skill point.

Definitely not worth it! :) That skill point would be more useful in one of the unused .4% life reg nodes (Scions don't take the ones in the Marauder area, and vice versa). Vitality is just too weak currently and probably needs a buff.

Something else I had considered is Clarity. If you have Blood Magic, it regenerates a flat amount of health instead of mana (tested it, was surprised). The result is pretty much the same, though. L20 Clarity regenerates ~25 HP per second. With a L20 Reduced Mana and Mortal Conviction it reserves 218 HP. 218 HP equals ~17 HP/s regeneration, so it's a net gain of 8 HP per second for one skill point and two sockets. Also not worth it.

All numbers above assume 7.7% life regeneration, which is what a character using this build will have. (There is another 1.2% that could be gotten for three points, but that's optional, so I didn't consider it. It would make Vitality and Clarity even less beneficial.)
Last edited by Mivo on May 16, 2014, 3:21:45 AM
Hey, still loving the build, almost about to hit lvl 76 :)

I just wanted to get your thoughts on something quickly. I've been using Three Dragons and Windscream, but I also picked up these two as well:

With these, I can have three different curses, Flammability, Elemental Weakness, AND Temporal Chains on hit. I actually find that Temporal Chains is not only a big boost to surviability (it even helps the totems live longer) but it's a boost to eDPS as well since it keeps mobs in the fire for longer.

The downfall, of course, is that both items have basically no other useful stats. It's not so hard to cap out resistances, but you miss the life and it makes getting IIR much harder.

Just wondering what you think of that set up. I find it very effective, but I'm still relatively low level.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info