No sound driver detected.

Necro! Because still relevant.
[Let me pile on the necro; this remains an annoying issue.]

This has been a very common problem for me with the POE Steam client since the production launch of 2.0.0.

The same problem did occur previous to that release, both on occasion and for a discrete period of time more commonly (if not as stubbornly as it does now). Both now and in this prior case, there were coincidental Valve updates to Steam that may have further exacerbated the problem. The first instance seemed to appear and then disappear with Valve updates.

Symptoms:

When running the POE Steam client for the first time, there is almost never an issue. However, when closing POE correctly and restarting the client, I will often have to restart the POE Steam client as many as twenty times to get my sound back. Waiting between attempts does not appear to help. Restarting Windows will fix the issue.

When running the Standalone POE client, it is much rarer for this to occur, but it still can.

Having used your sound device for multimedia in Firefox before re-launching POE also may exacerbate the problem, but is not required and does not always cause the problem. Closing all Firefox and other media processes does not resolve the issue.

It seems like there is an issue with the POE client (including Standalone) to detect that sound devices are available. The problem has become much more frequent in the POE Steam client for me since release 2.0.0.

Device info:
Spoiler
Realtek ALC898 High Definition Audio (all sound using default device as analog output)
Asus Rampage IV Extreme motherboard (the original release, not the later Black edition).
Windows 7 Professional

Updating Realtek device drivers had no effect on the problem.

...Bump.
"
Chris wrote:
Version 2.2.0b
  • Fixed a bug that caused some users to have no sound.

Still not fixed. orz
Last edited by 三日前 on Mar 9, 2016, 10:05:21 PM
I have the same problem as of 2.2, using onboard Realtek soundcard; reinstalled POE 2 times, on another partition the 2nd time, reinstalled sound drivers, tried to run with -gc2 -softwareaudio , ran as admin, but sometimes I get this no sound device problem, restarting the game 1 or 2 times fixes it, but it is annoying. Using standalone client btw.

I should mention that I run the game in windowed fullscreen mode, mute when in background selected, usually when I load the game I also have Chrome running (or loading) and either twitch or a youtube running, so maybe the problem is a conflict with Chrome ? or flash player ?

I played the game for the first time last year, right when Awakening launched, used steam client back then, had no problems. Maybe the problem appears from residual game files?

here is an error I got once while loading the game, during 2.2, 28 march 2016, I mention the date so u know exactly what gameversion was live then: https://imgur.com/4QILcLF

Last edited by mingreeXD on Mar 31, 2016, 12:42:04 PM
Since Patch 2.2 my sound regularly disappears after a restart of PoE.
I'm using the Soundcard of my Logitech G510. Sometimes this can be fixed by plugging the Headphones out and back in again (which causes the G510 to reboot) and THEN restarting PoE, but today even that didn't work.
Any other programs (MPC, VLC, even Youtube on FireFox) instantly pick up on the soundcard and use it the moment it becomes available. Just PoE remains on "no sound driver detected".

This time, I was able to fix the issue with the above metioned workaround of starting it as an admin, but none of the above programs require admin rights to work properly...
Im using original poe client. And today this trouble appeared for the first time within 3 years of playing poe. Restarted client with admin. properties for 30-40 times. Not fixed. Help pleasee
disable exclusive mode
this is my first time playing since 3.0 (took a break) but all the sudden i am having this issue now and i can't fix it, literally tried everything i have come across as a 'fix' but nothing works, when i fire the game up the gears screen has sound but when i get to the main menu there is no sound and the options shows the same device error message as everybody else then i load a character to confirm there is no sound in game...

P.S. I am using the Steam client as well

P.P.S. Fixed the issue, turns out it was not just PoE but every game except one (Pso2) some how an update came in and disabled my drivers and reverted it back to generic. Now every game has audio
Last edited by heinrich6745 on Jun 2, 2018, 12:30:20 PM
On my ASUS gaming laptop, the resolution to no sound driver being detected ended up being to disable Sonic Suite 3. Task Manager -> Startup

I have a Realtek sound card. Prior to this POE sound was not working although windows sounds were fine and even some other games were ok.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info