WORLD FIRST USE of Vaal orb

IGN: Aqur
Used a vaal orb on one of my daggers and ended up getting this. Since these daggers are easy to get there was really no risk.

most of the time it does nothing at all. i dont like that option.
Last edited by NomadFX on Mar 10, 2014, 10:16:25 AM
"
Futon wrote:
"
Dstry wrote:
Used it on my 6L volt i had in my sale thread. Turned it into a 1S rare bow. Just handed out 150ex+ worth of currency to random people. Game is fucked

Thats just awful. A lot of people are going to quit over this, dumb mistake and idea by GGG. Shame.

The problem is that people dont read and dont think. GGG stated that the gem could do item harm. The item it self is warning you. "Corrupts an item, modifying it unpredictably"...
What is so hard to understand about "unpredictable". It does not say "positive effect" on it.
Unpredictably means "anything can happen".
Why on earth would anyone use this on a expensive item? Unless he is willing to take that chance.
If you mess up your item by using that orb, it is all the players fault.
Why would someone that has used 100+exaulted on an item throw a "random effect" that he does not know what will do onto that item? Especally when it says "unpredictably".

Really. When it says "unpredictably" and you are about to use it on an item, a warning bell should really ring in your head. Is it worth doing it?

It is a chance to take, and it is up to you to decide if you want to take it. You may get lucky, but you also may be screwed totally over.

Think about it as playing lotto with your computer as the stake, you can get a new good computer if you win, but if you lose you will lose the computer you got.

Lost where no man has been lost before.
Last edited by ZtriDer on Mar 10, 2014, 10:47:35 AM
RIP Anvil.

RIP Mooonsorrow.

RIP Goldrim.

RIP Shavronne's Pace

Last edited by Shogen on Mar 10, 2014, 11:07:46 AM
"
Futon wrote:
"
GGprime wrote:
i used it on a 6l marohi, im done with the game, thats just bullshit.

Is this for real? it can change the item completely? wtf is that shit... ?

Yes, you can Vaal Orb a unique and end up with a rare of lesser value. The old RNG "that sucks donkey" (Wayne of Wayne's World said it best) at work here.

GGG is seriously suffering from the misguided delusion that gambling with "our precious" items is fun and exciting. Maybe the few who throw luck to the wind and RNG Vaal Orb their high value unique and get a better corrupted unique are happy with what GGG has coded (wrought). But the vast majority that try this and get a crappy rare from the unique, they are going to say "WTF is that shit?!" and rightfully so.

Ever since I started playing PoE in CB we the players (and financial backers of GGG) have posted our discontent for the way GGG uses RNG as a way to "craft" items in the hope that we end up with a better item. More often than not we end up with either a worse item or have burned through countless orbs and gotten nothing better to show for it. The phrase "RNG is RNG" and "RNG is a bitch" is overused, lame, and a crappy excuse for GGG not having a real crafting system that doesn't involve pure RNG up and running by now. While I cut GGG major slack because they do a fantastic job with a very small dev team it's still a very sore point for me and countless others that the way we attempt to "craft" today is the same as it was in 2012 CB PoE. There have been many posts offering better ways to craft (including my 2¢: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/746096) but to date GGG is not interested in changing the crafting mechanics of PoE to rely less on luck and more on real crafting with ingredients we have acquired from playing their game. It really is sad that after all this time GGG is ignoring the fact that 100s of thousands of fans have been and still are hating the too random luck gambling nature that PoE "crafting" is.

So the new Vaal Orb is just another RNG spin on the old and tired RNG of crafting. I guess we should call it "Crafting 1.1". What "sucked donkey" in 2012 still "sucks donkey" today.
"You've got to grind, grind, grind at that grindstone..."
Necessity may be the mother of invention, but poor QoP in PoE is the father of frustration.

The perfect solution to fix Trade Chat:
www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2247070
"
Arrowneous wrote:

GGG is seriously suffering from the misguided delusion that gambling with "our precious" items is fun and exciting. Maybe the few who throw luck to the wind and RNG Vaal Orb their high value unique and get a better corrupted unique are happy with what GGG has coded (wrought). But the vast majority that try this and get a crappy rare from the unique, they are going to say "WTF is that shit?!" and rightfully so.

I really like the crafting system here. :-/
Like seriously, it's the second best system I've ever played with (to Star Wars Galaxies)
"
ZtriDer wrote:
"
Futon wrote:
"
Dstry wrote:
Used it on my 6L volt i had in my sale thread. Turned it into a 1S rare bow. Just handed out 150ex+ worth of currency to random people. Game is fucked

Thats just awful. A lot of people are going to quit over this, dumb mistake and idea by GGG. Shame.

The problem is that people dont read and dont think. GGG stated that the gem could do item harm. The item it self is warning you. "Corrupts an item, modifying it unpredictably"...
What is so hard to understand about "unpredictable". It does not say "positive effect" on it.
Unpredictably means "anything can happen".
Why on earth would anyone use this on a expensive item? Unless he is willing to take that chance.
If you mess up your item by using that orb, it is all the players fault.
Why would someone that has used 100+exaulted on an item throw a "random effect" that he does not know what will do onto that item? Especally when it says "unpredictably".

Really. When it says "unpredictably" and you are about to use it on an item, a warning bell should really ring in your head. Is it worth doing it?

It is a chance to take, and it is up to you to decide if you want to take it. You may get lucky, but you also may be screwed totally over.

Think about it as playing lotto with your computer as the stake, you can get a new good computer if you win, but if you lose you will lose the computer you got.

Absolutely correct viewpoint. That's why GGG has no right to call this crafting when it is 100% gambling.
Necessity may be the mother of invention, but poor QoP in PoE is the father of frustration.

"
Arrowneous wrote:

Absolutely correct viewpoint. That's why GGG has no right to call this crafting when it is 100% gambling.

You don't feel that you have any control over what you're crafting? I personally feel that we have complete control... Now some of this is gated behind orb drop rates, but you can see from mirrored items that it is certainly possible to create the item you want. It's a good system. Not saying it's perfect, but a lot of people really enjoy it.
"
majesw wrote:
I really like the crafting system here. :-/
Like seriously, it's the second best system I've ever played with (to Star Wars Galaxies)

Ok, but when you take an item and use, let's say a Jewellers Orb, on it and you have 0% control over the number of sockets you get as a result, then this is 100% gambling and is not and should not in any way be viewed upon as "crafting". Crafting implies that we have some control over the result and since jewelling, fusing, alting, etc. does not give us any control on the results we get then GGG is doing a major dis-service to us by calling this "crafting".

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info