[1.3] Sidra's Necromancing Ranger of Chaos (Poison Arrow) Videos/Atziri capable

Hi guys!

Asidra, loved build idea!

Didn't follow the whole thread but, as I just started the new league with a shadow, wanted to know if this build would be viable starting with a Shadow and, if positive, how would it look like? I mean, better starting off by elemental damage nodes or AS ones?

Thanks!
"
HimuraBr wrote:
Hi guys!

Asidra, loved build idea!

Didn't follow the whole thread but, as I just started the new league with a shadow, wanted to know if this build would be viable starting with a Shadow and, if positive, how would it look like? I mean, better starting off by elemental damage nodes or AS ones?

Thanks!

shadow is really not a good starting point.

your first several nodes are almost a complete waste.

ranger is the best start in terms of flexibility. you have fast access to life, life regen, evasion some mana regen, ondar's guile. all very good for survival and easy leveling.

a witch would work too.

i personally think a scion might actually be the best class for this build, but i think it would be slightly more difficult to level with IF you are starting from scratch. Access to leveling uniques would make scion no problem.

Does "projectile damage" just increase the damage of the initial hit or the poison dot too?

"
Charontid wrote:
Does "projectile damage" just increase the damage of the initial hit or the poison dot too?

DoT too, otherwise they would be useless. Same as an explosive arrow build the initial hit is not what's important.

Asidra actually talks in the text about the fact that he just shoots at the ground.

That's one of the non-obvious secrets of this build. You could, starting from scion, get 125% projectile damage increase. The ranger starting point gives you 101%.

Between that, the chaos damage and DoT nodes, you are close to 250% damage increase.

Then you get concentrated effect, which is a "more" damage type, and the damage is 250% x 1.69 = 422%.

That's why the added levels are so important to PA. That base damage is getting a really large multiplier, so you really want to ramp up the starting damage as much as possible and the only way to do that is to ramp the levels (the quality is important for increased aoe).

It also tells you why it's a good idea to add in some increased area modifiers. Since CE is a 30% reduced multiplier you actually need 42% increased area of effect to counteract it and expand the cloud back to it's original size.

Thanks a lot for the fast reply.

In this case my own build misses a lot of dot-dps, but all those "proj-dmg" nodes are close to my current tree.

In this case, i have the option for a good dmg-progression through the final levels :)
"
plasticeyes wrote:
An alternative tree. 103 points.

100% mana regen
163% life
mana+ES total is about 160%.
2.8% life regen

That shaper node is really, really good for this build, and those +%ES nodes are as well.

quick recovery is also a very sneaky bonus too, giving you life, mana regen AND life regen.

scion better than ranger ? i think so...

edit: i left out MoM. haha.

this tree gives up some damage in the long term, but i think it's much tankier because the extra mana is a big win for MoM.

Thanks for the helpful responses to peeps. All of the extra life and mana regen in that tree is nice, but you are giving up a ton of offense to get them - 111% additive bonuses on the right side. I think if I wanted more mana regen I would just re-spec 5 points somewhere and move down to the Witch start. And life regen is less important now given the crazy potion buffs. If I was dying I might be more inclined to go with your change. But the build is still super safe. 6400 effective HP hiding behind a minion wall, with nearly 10k evasion and Ondar's, and 100 phys and fire dmg reduce if it does get hit. Not worth the large DPS loss, IMO. But it's preference, damage in your build would still be solid.

Also - one small correction to something you said about Concentrated Effect. While the damage is multiplicative, the area is "reduced." It's an additive reduction, so it takes +30 to even it out.
My Phys Crit Split Arrow Ranger Guide: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/919885

My Poison Arrow Ranger Guide: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/806913
Last edited by Asidra on Aug 25, 2014, 5:17:08 PM
"
Asidra wrote:

Thanks for the helpful responses to peeps. All of the extra life and mana regen in that tree is nice, but you are giving up a ton of offense to get them - 111% additive bonuses on the right side. I think if I wanted more mana regen I would just re-spec 5 points somewhere and move down to the Witch start. And life regen is less important now given the crazy potion buffs. If I was dying I might be more inclined to go with your change. But the build is still super safe. 6400 effective HP hiding behind a minion wall, with nearly 10k evasion and Ondar's, and 100 phys and fire dmg reduce if it does get hit. Not worth the large DPS loss, IMO. But it's preference, damage in your build would still be solid.

Also - one small correction to something you said about Concentrated Effect. While the damage is multiplicative, the area is "reduced." It's an additive reduction, so it takes +30 to even it out.

you are absolutely right. i give up, in the long term, damage.

but at level 80 or so, i.e. around 100 points i think the difference is quite minor. The reason is that there's no way i would be giving up life or mana/mana regen at level 80, or not very much. I think you would get into a lot more trouble. I mean even if i use your exact tree my last 17 points would be most of the damage nodes anyway. it's an excellent example trading offense for defense, because obviously if you kill stuff faster, you don't need to be as tanky...

i also want to maximize regen to make sure and push arctic armor as far as possible.

essentially you give up about 30% chaos damage and 30% DoT for my changes. tradeoffs... :-)

it's only a 12 point change back to your tree, so I will do it.... FOR SCIENCE!

i'm pretty sure you need +42%.

AOE * (1 - 0.3) * (1 + 0.429) ~ 1.0 AOE

i.e. it's _not_

AOE * (1 - 0.3 + 0.3)

if only +30 were required then that would be a result of the area being "decreased". concentrated effect is a poweful mod, so makes sense to me that it comes with a hefty AOE downside.

more<->reduce
increase<->decrease

or, as is probably the case, i'm wrong. lol.

as you know, rocking rampage with this build !

p.s. after reading what you said here, and looking at the tree, i'm actually fairly convinced the ranger _is_ a better build class than scion. i'm sure i'll change my mind again tomorrow.
"
Charontid wrote:
Thanks a lot for the fast reply.

In this case my own build misses a lot of dot-dps, but all those "proj-dmg" nodes are close to my current tree.

In this case, i have the option for a good dmg-progression through the final levels :)

Don't forget that the DoT nodes also buff your firetrap damage, if you use that as a support skill, so very good synergy there.

I'm hoping that Asidra might say a few words as to why his damage table prioritizes chaos damage/DoT over projectile.

it seems to me that they are interchangeable since they buff the cloud damage equally, don't they ?

Perhaps, as I just said, it's because the DoT buffs also help with fire trap damage. Also if you use added chaos then the added chaos nodes in the tree buff that too, so nice damage adder there.

it's truly awesome to be killing stuff with ES. It's so much fun to watch their life go to 0 when the ES hasn't even moved :-)

i wonder when there will be an exile with Shavronne's Wrappings ?
Hmm, is it just me or did you accidentally remove the skill tree link? I see a reply about it being updated to a 1.2 tree but I can't find a link anywhere in the OP. If I'm derping, sorry in advance..
It's in the Main Post - "Level 95" above the gear and links section.

I will add "Tree" in there to make it more clear.
My Phys Crit Split Arrow Ranger Guide: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/919885

My Poison Arrow Ranger Guide: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/806913

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info