What do you look for/like in video games?

I like difficulty

I like subtlety

I like cleverness and intelligent design

I like elegance

I like darkness

I like cruelty

Path of Exile succeeded in giving me numbers and some of the things on the list, Grim Dawnis giving me a couple more a lot better and Dark Souls is right up my alley.

What about you guys?

u casual or wot m8
"You can't bash someone else's shitty taste in music when you listen to 'grindcore'" -TheWretch̢
Last edited by Fire_Kid on Feb 4, 2014, 12:46:09 AM
Fun. This can come in many forms, too many to list here. Im having fun with POE as i have fun with frozen throne or NOLF or 1503 AD.
gameplay - how interesting it is, how engaging it is, design, thought process, image, quality, control.... everything actually.
To be honest - mostly story/setting/general feeling. I also like freedom so I'm a sucker for sandbox games etc.
Be ready. You're not paranoid, you're PREPARED.

I quit this game every few months and so should you to continue playing it in the future.

The device is believed to have been dropped
Genre = I mostly only like ARPG,RPG,RTS,TBS,JRPG,limited sims/builders and limited action/FPS.Well shite,that's a bit of everything 'cept MMOs ain't it ?

Depth of content = Dosn't have to have a whole lot of content,but what it does have has to tickle the grey matter somewhat.

Fun = Subjective word at best.I enjoy progression,achievements (personal achievements not game achievments).The ability to achieve goals in a variety of different ways and not being hearded into *the way* to do something.

Options = Lots of options for making the game difficulty harder/easier to suit my challenge mood,sometimes I want to kick ass and sometimes I want my ass kicked,lol.Options for removing/adding UI and effects (my old eyes).

Rewarding = This can be as simple as having had fun,which I would think was the whole point of games in the first place.

Replayability & longevity = Having all of the above

That's all I can think of ... I'm a simple person with simple needs.
Last edited by Temper on Feb 4, 2014, 5:54:53 AM
It's easier to tell you what I don't like (as in, don't touch with a barge pole):

Any game in the First Person perspective where you have to move around a lot in your environment.

Any game that requires more than a mouse and a monitor to play (excluding such things as the escape key to get to the main/options menu, typing in a save-game name, character name etc etc).

Any game where the puzzles are bat-shit crazy - such as needing to pick three leaves off a tree outside the house to feed to a cat in the basement that will then run to the kitchen and run inside a locked cupboard from a hole in the back of it and retrieve you a key - that then doesn't fit in any locks you're currently still unable to open.

Any game that thinks time is such an important game-objective that it doesn't let you turn the timer off - any timed quests/puzzles - any game that has further content prevented until one passes a timed problem - you failed to kill 43 enemies in one minute 25 seconds, therefore you failed to progress, you cannot progress until you've killed 247 enemies in one minute 25 seconds - oh, fuck off you retarded failed mechanic, if you're going to do that shit to me all game I'd rather not play.

Any game where I get the feeling the AI is playing me more than just letting me play the game - like minesweeper where the last 4 blocks are always a 50/50 unless you get a 'you're allowed to win this time' 'lucky' board. Tons of games are like this nowadays :(

Edit: Any game which has one-shot kill mechanics that aren't a result of detectable traps or savable spells.

Edit 2: Any game with completely retarded AI. I remember buying Monopoly for the Playstation, really over the moon and couldn't wait to try it. The AI was so spastic every single game was a roll-over joke. I didn't play more than 1 or 2 short games. One of the biggest gaming disappointments ever.

Can't think of any more at the moment, but there are lots more.
I like a challenge, but there should also be meaningful and appropriate rewards for said challenge.

I almost always turn down sandbox games like GTA V these days. With that said, I almost always hype interesting RPG's. I am a huge RPG fan and always have been. One of my favorite childhood gaming experiences came from Final Fantasy.

I always look for variety of choices. Playing a game that feels too linear will eventually bore me.

I look for a medieval photo-realistic art style.

I am always on the hunt for a druid class.

I look to more ARPG experiences more than anything lately.

I do rate multiplayer at the very bottom line of my preferences because good single player experiences can still be obtained but in today's age I need more to get my gaming fix.

I look for subtlety and mystery in all aspects of the games I try.

I look for a compelling story with ambiguous narratives.

I think that's it?

PoE has some of these obviously but Demon's Souls has so far been the most recent best match just barely beating Skyrim. Dark Souls was a bit of a let down for me.
There is grief in wisdom, there is sorrow in truth
Yet, the heart of the wise is in the house of mourning
And by sad countenance the heart is made stonger in time
So, I embrace this burden and weep for the fools that chase the wind
Dark souls II
Dark souls II
Dark souls II
Dark souls II
Dark souls II
Dark souls II
Dark souls II
Dark souls II
Dark souls II
Dark souls II
Dark souls II
Dark souls II
Dark souls II
Dark souls II
Dark souls II
Dark souls II
Dark souls II
Dark souls II
Dark souls II
Dark souls II
Dark souls II
Dark souls II
Dark souls II
Dark souls II
Dark souls II
Dark souls II
Dark souls II
Dys an sohm
Rohs an kyn
Sahl djahs afah
Mah morn narr
Depth to game mechanics
Originality
Games that give a good sense of freedom
Closed servers
Some creative outlet (I consider POE having this)
Nice art style
Good combat feedback
Challenging (but not overly so)
PvP
Death should always cost something whether it's gold,time or experience.

I cant really describe what I look for, but once I find it, it is magical.

The games for me that were pure magic:

Civ 2
Baldurs Gate 1 & 2
Warlords 3
Morrowind
Guild Wars
Sacred 1 & 2
Path of Exile.

All of those were like crystal meth to my brain.
(b) Personal abuse, foul language, inappropriate subject matter, obscene, harassing, threatening, hateful, or discriminatory or defamatory remarks of any nature ... are not permitted.

- PoE TOS.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info