Please take your account security seriously.

"
So my account was compromised today.

Microsoft Security Essentials as well as Malwarebytes tell me I was infected by a few things, so I'm guessing that's how the guy got my details.

My problem was that I used the same password for my email as well as my PoE account. Very, very stupid.

Luckily, since I am Australian, Google decided not to allow the guy from South Carolina to log into my email, or I'm certain all my gear and currency would be gone.

However, he somehow managed to change my password. He then logged into my account via the Pathofexile.com website and was able to trade away ALL of my store Points. Over 1800 if memory serves. (I had a ton left over from my Champion Supporter purchase).

I'm currently waiting to hear back from GGG Management department on whether they're able to reverse any gifting/transactions and restore my points to me, and I just wanted to urge all of you to please be careful with your account security. Use different passwords and stay up to date with your virus scanners.

would not be hard for ggg to find to which guild he gave your points...
Forum pvp
hide yo kids hide yo wife
IGN:LeoNemaeus/ GroundSlamHero
"
However, he somehow managed to change my password. He then logged into my account via the Pathofexile.com website and was able to trade away ALL of my store Points. Over 1800 if memory serves. (I had a ton left over from my Champion Supporter purchase).

Meaning he bought stuff for your account? Neither the points nor the MTX items can be traded, unless I missed something?

The issue here isn't account security per se, but having malware on your system. Surf more sensibly, tighten your browser security, don't download shadowy stuff. And yes, use different passwords for different services and places.

Anyway, sorry this happened. Can't have been a pleasant experience.
I certainly wouldnt go installing all these various programs people are recommending. The root of the problem is simple, and easily fixable.

Dont use the same username/password combination twice.

That being said, the best thing you can do for your security overall is to actually keep your software updated and patched.

Firewalls are restrained by their rulesets and simple natures. Scanners are restrained by the fact that any new virus or malware that isnt a variant of an existing one slips right on by unnoticed.

There are other more intrusive and complex ways to mitigate security threats, but the simple act of keeping your software up to date and not reusing passwords solves the vast majority of problems.
HAIL SATAN!
Last edited by tramshed on Jan 24, 2014, 7:50:23 PM
My password is ChrisJayWilson.
Crafting doesn't exist in POE. Gambling does...and the house always wins.

Velocireptile - I LOL'ed. Which made me fart. I wish the office were empty right now :(

Hardlicker - I had to push the dog out of the way so I could get to the sexy quilt.
Yes, the compromise was due to my computer being infected.

However, GGG has restored all my points after it was discovered that he transferred them all to my guild.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info