Please take your account security seriously.

So my account was compromised today.

Microsoft Security Essentials as well as Malwarebytes tell me I was infected by a few things, so I'm guessing that's how the guy got my details.

My problem was that I used the same password for my email as well as my PoE account. Very, very stupid.

Luckily, since I am Australian, Google decided not to allow the guy from South Carolina to log into my email, or I'm certain all my gear and currency would be gone.

However, he somehow managed to change my password. He then logged into my account via the Pathofexile.com website and was able to trade away ALL of my store Points. Over 1800 if memory serves. (I had a ton left over from my Champion Supporter purchase).

I'm currently waiting to hear back from GGG Management department on whether they're able to reverse any gifting/transactions and restore my points to me, and I just wanted to urge all of you to please be careful with your account security. Use different passwords and stay up to date with your virus scanners.
Ah, PSA

Remember to lock all doors and windows when leaving your house or car.
Its wise to hide any valuables from view when leaving your car unattended.
One of the reasons why staying quiet about when you do quit playing (should you not use the account for purposes such as forums and it would stay completely inactive) and have plans coming back is also a relative safety precaution. Unless you are absolutely sure your accounts can not have been compromised or have friends who can alert you if your account appears online when it's not supposed to be online (saved a friends account once) for a longer period of time.

Not related to the OP, but atleast in other games, many of the accounts of my friends that have gotten compromised have been during inactive account periods.
Good rule of thumb is to keep in mind that even if nobody else is using your account right now, it doesn't mean they don't already have access to them.
Sharing account details with friends is a bigger culprit then many people imagine, account sharing is usually prohibited in games, reason I don't share my account details with friends is that I trust my system, but I don't trust my friends when it comes to their systems.

I remember back in the days when I realized 2 years after a clean install that I hadn't installed any firewall or antivirus. Scans came out clean, my scans still come out clean, but I've always tried being pre-emptively cautious over my system security so I wouldn't end up in a situation where there would be something for the scans to pick up in the first place.
<^..^> - meow!
I keep all of my good stuff on an alternate account with a gigantic password i reset daily because im paranoid like that :P lol

Also, if you dont have it already, get AVG, its the best.
Harvest sucks! But look at my decked out gear two weeks in!

Labyrinth salt farm miner.

"But my build diversity" , "Game is too hard!" - Meta drone playing the same 1-3 builds for years.
Playing MMO's since 1999, never took account security seriously. All my games, emails, bank accounts everything has the same combination of account/password with slight variations.

I gave out my accounts in many games to friends, guildies or just random people cause it was a high level account not worth wasting.

Ive been hacked: 0 times.

99% of hackings will be user error. A dodgy download or phishing site etc
adania/93 --- ElementalNecro/91 --- GwanSauceMan/90
ScionFakeWitch/88 --- WikiWikiWitch/87 --- LArrowToTheKnee/83
Lethal_Injection/80
[b color="#FE2EC8"][b color="#FFAC12"][/b]
"
adania wrote:
Playing MMO's since 1999, never took account security seriously. All my games, emails, bank accounts everything has the same combination of account/password with slight variations.

I gave out my accounts in many games to friends, guildies or just random people cause it was a high level account not worth wasting.

I have the same feeling.

I broke up with antivirus programs like a couple of year`s ago . My only friend is some hardcore firewall that`s not made out of fire like it says but rather like a net that catches all the programs that i`m bombarded with ... and in about 6 years I have almost 18 MB of amazing sneaky intelligent brilliant programs that some of them can worth a lot of $$$ .

Times I`ve been hacked : 1 times
How ?
Logged in from a "friends" pc , he had a trojan that was sending webpages and keystrokes to a server ...
"
oldirtybomber wrote:
Ah, PSA

Remember to lock all doors and windows when leaving your house or car.
Its wise to hide any valuables from view when leaving your car unattended.

Obviously we have a rapist here in lincoln park. He's climbing in your windows snatching your people up. Tryin' to rape 'em so you need to hide your kids, hide your wife, and hide your husband because they rapin' everybody out here.
Install SpySheler - be safe.

Only thing that gives you protection is HIPS. And SpyShelter rocks it. Plus it has keystroke encryption, much better than keyscrambler ones, and sandbox feature.

Anyways I recommend it for all the mmo players.
"
adania wrote:

This. Only time I have ever been hacked was a keylogger from me using an unofficial torrent for a game. Most hackings are user error.
my poe password was literally poop1 for about 2 years on poe and i never got hacked
I am the world's best path of exile player, I strong I kill all monster with amazing power

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info