Are mods being overly strict now?

Good job, Simon. Thanks for putting up with us. Is there anyway we could get you all to suppress the GGG tag on posts that are just warnings like this? The GGG logo would mean so much more if we could click on it and expect to get something useful.
This thread offends me, and it is still up.

Guess rules only apply sometimes.
"
Sinnesteuer wrote:
This thread is really more about acceptance of responsibility for one's actions than it is about what is and is not "acceptable" language on these forums.

OP used language that, for whatever reason, was edited by the moderators. Rather than accepting that the language was objectionable and moving on, OP felt the need to come and plead his case that he holds no accountability for the use of the language, and it is the fault of the moderators that the post was changed.

I don't feel I am pleading my case. I specifically said that I'm not mad and don't feel the need to e-mail support. I was just surprised and wanted to see what other players thought about it.

I have no problem being held accountable. I just never imagined that the word retarded would be outlawed when it wasn't even being used in reference to another person. Just a part of the game. The thing is you can look at this very thread and see that the word retarded has not been outlawed. The mod removed my post simply because he felt at the time that my post wasn't being constructive. But if I had used the word stupid I guess he would have left it alone? It just doesn't make sense to me.

"
All of this could have been a non-issue has the poster simply made a better decision in posting. As I have no context of the post to which the OP refers, all I can assume is that the "not intended, that would be retarded" comment was a single line response to another poster in a thread about a game mechanic. I would posit that anyone actually interested in having a legitimate discussion about said mechanic would have, instead, made a comment more along the lines of "That mechanic is not working as intended, and if the current working is 'as intended' then we might need to question intent..." and continue to present an intelligent argument, devoid of potentially inflammatory speech.

I consider that as well. Again I am just surprised that its apparently wrong to post a couple sentences in a thread. If someone had responded to my post then I would have been glad to elaborate. All I really did was disagree with another poster and say that a certain game play mechanic would be retarded if it was intended. I honestly don't see that as very bad. Especially if you look at my post history.

"
My own personal opinion is that far too many humans are incapable of being accountable for themselves and taking full responsibility for all occurrences in their lives. It is my belief that this reality is due, in part, to some of the trappings of Modernity.

I honestly don't have a problem with A) Always elaborating my posts or B) Not using the word retarded. I'm just surprised that I have to do that in the first place. Doesn't mean I refuse to be held accountable just because I made this thread.

"

In my own opinion, this thread is nothing more than a thin defense by the OP generated to deflect accountability and responsibility for the fact that he choose poor language in the first place.

Thats fine if you want to think that. I'll never agree though that the word retarded when not used in reference to another person should be straight up outlawed. IMO that's censorship going too far. I know far more people who are offended by swear words. I guess we should outlaw those next.
Standard Forever
Last edited by iamstryker on Jan 24, 2014, 10:02:12 AM
People will get 'offended' by anything nowadays.
"
iamstryker wrote:
Does everyone think this is cool now or is this being far too strict? I'm not even sure how to feel about it.

The level of moderation I've been seeing in the forums seems fine to me.

I understand why your comment was changed but can also imagine it being overlooked on a different occasion.

The original intent of your post was still comprehensible, all that was lost was the added emphasis.
"Let those with infinite free time pave the road with their corpses." - reboticon
"
iamstryker wrote:
Thats fine if you want to think that. I'll never agree though that the word retarded when not used in reference to another person should be straight up outlawed. IMO that's censorship going too far. I know far more people who are offended by swear words. I guess we should outlaw those next.

And, to further support my argument that you are deflecting responsibility, you do so again.

You fail to understand so much that seems to be so clear to so many others.
"
Sinnesteuer wrote:

And, to further support my argument that you are deflecting responsibility, you do so again.

You fail to understand so much that seems to be so clear to so many others.

Your saying that I can't take responsibility for something if I don't agree with it? Sometimes I don't agree with speed limits but I'm still responsible for following it.

I had no idea at the time that what I wrote would be a problem with mods.
Standard Forever
I think they ought to crackdown on all these necro-threads.

-_-
Words like stupid and retarded and the like have no place here .
This is a computer game and its about having fun. Nothing about it
can be so serious that one would need to call another player or developer
or anyone connected to this anything like that. My opinion-- everyone has one.
"
dkwtax wrote:
Words like stupid and retarded and the like have no place here .
This is a computer game and its about having fun. Nothing about it
can be so serious that one would need to call another player or developer
or anyone connected to this anything like that. My opinion-- everyone has one.

I appreciate your opinion but you could have responded to my story in the OP which involves using the word on something besides another human being. I've never defended using the word on another player or dev. Just like I wouldn't support calling someone else stupid or dumb.
Standard Forever
Last edited by iamstryker on Jan 24, 2014, 1:17:49 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info