1.3 [Newbie Friendly] GROUNDSLAMMER BUILD

Hi guys,

thank you for this guide, it got me started well in PoE.

I am struggling a bit with toughness atm. I am L68 and can do most content, but some bosses/elites just do more damage than I am able to heal. Can someone check my gear to tell me what is the best way to move forward?

Passives:

Passive skill tree build

Last edited by grandfatha on Mar 13, 2015, 12:50:13 PM
Hi, we spoke in IRC. Gear doesn't look too bad. A 5 link will help, buy a chest via poe.trade. You might have to compromise a bit on life/armour to find a cheap one that covers your resists. Possibly reconsider the Carnage Heart: the -25% max life is significant. Your 3100 life will be closer to 4100 if you take it off. Of course then you'll have to find another source of life leech, which you can get on gloves, amulet or rings (I was wrong). Your belt isn't great - while it has resists both the implcit and explicit stun recovery mods are useless as Unwavering Stance makes you immune to stun.. A good cheap upgrade is likely to be the physical version of Doryani's Invitation. It drops from Atziri but it's so common that they're becoming very cheap for what they are.

A common (almost too common, 90% of my chars have it in some form or another) defensive mechanism which you lack is Immortal Call and Enduring Cry linked with Cast when Damage Taken, a rare gem but you can pick one up for a chaos or less. It's mentioned in the build guide on first page. Beware though, you don't necessarily want to level CwDT (and consequently the gems it supports). An optional extra with that is Molten Shell and/or Increased Duration to extend the duration of IC/MS.

Consider Enfeeble curse over Warlord's for bosses. The reduction in their damage output is not to be sniffed at (curses have a slightly reduced effect on bosses, but even so it's worth doing).

Also, flasks: I recommend a granite flask (ideally with 20% quality, then transmuted/alterationed to have the iron skin suffix); life flasks with the Sapping prefix and when you get to 70 a Seething (instant) Eternal flask. Another good flask (for just about any build) is Atziri's Promise. It functions as a DPS and defensive boost - you do more damage in the form of chaos and leech back a lot more life. Again an Atziri drop so common that it has become very cheap.

Also, don't be ashamed to skip some bosses or rogue exiles until you have improved in gear/levels.
Last edited by Norky on Mar 16, 2015, 6:04:22 PM
Hi guys,

first of all, this guide is fantastic, it worked really well for my first charachter in PoE.

Now i'm level 80, i do 66-72 maps without problem (apart some bosses and physical reflect mod).

I've respec blood magic (i've put the skill gem linked with groundslam instead of life leech).

I gladly take some advice from player with more experience than me for upgrades.

my skill tree

equipment
Spoiler

thank you
"
Norky wrote:
Hi, we spoke in IRC. Gear doesn't look too bad. A 5 link will help, buy a chest via poe.trade. You might have to compromise a bit on life/armour to find a cheap one that covers your resists. Possibly reconsider the Carnage Heart: the -25% max life is significant. Your 3100 life will be closer to 4100 if you take it off. Of course then you'll have to find another source of life leech, which you can get on gloves, amulet or rings (I was wrong). Your belt isn't great - while it has resists both the implcit and explicit stun recovery mods are useless as Unwavering Stance makes you immune to stun.. A good cheap upgrade is likely to be the physical version of Doryani's Invitation. It drops from Atziri but it's so common that they're becoming very cheap for what they are.

A common (almost too common, 90% of my chars have it in some form or another) defensive mechanism which you lack is Immortal Call and Enduring Cry linked with Cast when Damage Taken, a rare gem but you can pick one up for a chaos or less. It's mentioned in the build guide on first page. Beware though, you don't necessarily want to level CwDT (and consequently the gems it supports). An optional extra with that is Molten Shell and/or Increased Duration to extend the duration of IC/MS.

Consider Enfeeble curse over Warlord's for bosses. The reduction in their damage output is not to be sniffed at (curses have a slightly reduced effect on bosses, but even so it's worth doing).

Also, flasks: I recommend a granite flask (ideally with 20% quality, then transmuted/alterationed to have the iron skin suffix); life flasks with the Sapping prefix and when you get to 70 a Seething (instant) Eternal flask. Another good flask (for just about any build) is Atziri's Promise. It functions as a DPS and defensive boost - you do more damage in the form of chaos and leech back a lot more life. Again an Atziri drop so common that it has become very cheap.

Also, don't be ashamed to skip some bosses or rogue exiles until you have improved in gear/levels.

Hi,

thanks for the input and the support so far. I have changed some of the stuff you mentioned already, but not quite finished yet. The belt looks interesting, that is a definitive buy if I can get one for a few chaos orbs. I am trying to move away from blood magic first, so I can finally use some auras. I will have to test how much mana leech will be enough and so on, but overall it is very nice to progress my character like this.

Cheers
Hey!

Just started playing Path of Exile and was wondering why Mortal Conviction is picked in the build since we don't need the mana and you mention that we don't use any auras. Sorry if I'm missing an obvious reason, but it's a real head scratcher for me as a new player :)

Other than that, loving the build and thank you for taking care of us noobs <3
"
Chickenbone wrote:
Hey!

Just started playing Path of Exile and was wondering why Mortal Conviction is picked in the build since we don't need the mana and you mention that we don't use any auras. Sorry if I'm missing an obvious reason, but it's a real head scratcher for me as a new player :)

Yeah I'm new too and I've been wondering about that as well.. The only thing I could think of is that since the skills cost is calculated as mana before being converted into health I think that node helps reduce the initial cost of mana which then gets converted into less health being taken away.

For instance: Groundslam costs 15 mp. Converted into 15 hp.

**With Mortal Conviction node**: Groundslam now costs 7.5 mp. Converted into 7.5 hp.

This is my guess... but I'm not entirely sure either lol..
"
mjaeyi wrote:
"
Chickenbone wrote:
Hey!

Yeah I'm new too and I've been wondering about that as well.. The only thing I could think of is that since the skills cost is calculated as mana before being converted into health I think that node helps reduce the initial cost of mana which then gets converted into less health being taken away.

**With Mortal Conviction node**: Groundslam now costs 7.5 mp. Converted into 7.5 hp.

Have you been able to confirm this? What I've read about Mortal Conviction so far seems to indicate that it's mana savings effect only works on aura skills. If it works on any skill at all, that'd be a nice to know.
"
Droogen wrote:
"
mjaeyi wrote:
"
Chickenbone wrote:
Hey!

Have you been able to confirm this? What I've read about Mortal Conviction so far seems to indicate that it's mana savings effect only works on aura skills. If it works on any skill at all, that'd be a nice to know.

Mortal conviction only works with reservations from things such as auras or heralds. I dunno why he took it, maybe he decided to use auras/heralds and forgot to add it in?
Great guide does what it sets out to do. I have solo played mine to 77 now.
I have a couple of very small changes based on what i had my boots give me an extra curse so i use curse on hit +warlords+punishment+firestorm this lets me curse accurately and easy

You are right about Multistrike it makes your Dps on the skill read higher but lessens the damage i still use it on gs though because when surrounded by dying mobs it auto targets and stops you wasting time attacking nothing

I am about to change from cwdt+end+immort+increased dur and put in moltern shell with enduring cry so these will self trigger and i can level up immortal call to use when i get in trouble.

But all in all fantastic guide the only part of the game that gave me trouble was Dominus but thats my own fault for just plunging in not even knowing what damage he dealt. I am now soloing maps and my gears not flash 1 5l rest 4l

Thanks

I'll probably use this guide for my alt, hopefully it's still viable for high maps?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info