Bino's Kitchen Knife regeneration mechanics tested

Finally got my hands on the new unique, and went to test out its special ability with my Reave ranger (who has Adder's Touch, of course):

Method:

1) Unequip gear that adds lightning damage (so I don't shock stuff)
2) Leave Reave with just Melee Physical Damage support for cleaner numbers and clearer hits/crits.
3) Take note of my base life regen.
4) Run out to Merciless Wraeclast and kill everything while staring very intently at this line on my char screen.
5) Change support gems and/or auras and repeat step 4.

Results:

numbers

Reave + Melee Phys:
Max crit damage = 1675 x 4.23; Max observed regen = 700.5 (9.9% of damage dealt)
Reave + Melee Phys + Hatred:
Max crit damage = 2261 x 4.23; Max observed regen = 909.4 (9.5% of damage dealt)
Reave + Melee Phys + Increased Critical Damage:
Max crit damage = 1675 x 6.44; Max observed regen = 1077.1 (10.0% of damage dealt)
Reave + Melee Phys + Hatred + Increased Critical Damage:
Max crit damage = 2261 x 6.44; Max observed regen = 1396.2 (9.6% of damage dealt)

With Adder's Touch, Bino's Knife heals for 1/10 of your total critical damage per second for two seconds. This is the same as the Adder's Touch poison damage, actually.

The healing aoe feels about the same as a lvl 1 aura.

Additional killing procs within two seconds refresh the duration, and only changes your regen rate if the new kill confers more regen than the old kill. Since daggers have a fairly wide damage range, this is very useful because your regen after multiple kills will always be closer to 1/10th of the top end of your possible crit damage.

The special ability doesn't work with Viper Strike. I unspecced Adder's Touch to test Viper Strike, and nothing I killed ever gave me the regeneration buff. Viper Strike with Adder's Touch just gave you regen when you crit (from Adder's Touch poison), the same as if you were using a standard attack.

Thoughts:
Bino's consistently gives my ranger 800-1000 life/second regen during and for 2 seconds after fights. I ran a bunch of alched 73-75 maps with Crest of Perandus off (no life leech) and found that I could rely on this regen to stay healthy most of the time. The exceptions are bosses and allies-cannot-die packs, which Bino's doesn't help against.

Except... I thought of the one boss that this weapon is absolutely perfect for.
Man, for a second there, those pictures looked like you were playing Diablo 2. That knife from that perspective looks like the Butcher's weapon.
Sometimes you can take the game out of the garage but you can't take the garage out of the game.
- raics, 06.08.2016

that's actually better than i hoped.

can you test out if regen is based on the actual adder's touch damage (affected p.e. by chaos nodes +dot passives +etc) or if it is fixed 10% of critical strike?

also what about the spread part? does it spreads the same damage value that killed the monster or is it a fixed number?
The magnitude of the new poison effect and the regeneration effect are both the same as the magnitude of the poison effect that was on the monster you killed. Viper Strike charges aren't poison.
"
The magnitude of the new poison effect and the regeneration effect are both the same as the magnitude of the poison effect that was on the monster you killed. Viper Strike charges aren't poison.

wow thnx for the answer, it sounds... awesome^^
"
shroudb wrote:
that's actually better than i hoped.

can you test out if regen is based on the actual adder's touch damage (affected p.e. by chaos nodes +dot passives +etc) or if it is fixed 10% of critical strike?

also what about the spread part? does it spreads the same damage value that killed the monster or is it a fixed number?

regarding the possible spread, i get anywhere between ~400 and ~1000 regen from killing a single mob due to damage spread on my attack, but since the game takes the best regen from multiple instances, it's very rare for me to have less than 800 regen while fighting a pack.
So in other words, get your DPS high enough that you can kill most rares in less than two seconds and the only thing that poses a threat to you would be high-damage single hits (and reflect but when is reflect not a risk).

Seems like a good unique.
IGN: Ikimashouka, Tsukiyattekudasai, DontCallMeMrFroyo
Who cares really? It's just another BiS unique item to make up for the shit rares that drop.
"
Peenk wrote:
Who cares really? It's just another BiS unique item to make up for the shit rares that drop.

BiS compared to
???
I hardly doubt that.

And dont forget - players with DPS so high that they kill stuff less than in a second will take Vaal Pact to leech instantly. Both ES and life based (ES - because VP has no drawbacks for them, and life - because they dont need to waste nodes to get it, usually. And what is the drawback of Vaal Pact? Right, you CANT regenerate life (though you will still heal teammates, probably). And you actually dont need that regenerating either, when your recover full HP wwith a single hit.

So, my verdict:
This dagger is a good endgame item for physical dagger build (200+ DPS, 9.5+ crit chance - such daggers were worth 10-15 exalteds before this patch). But it isnt BiS, because rares can have MUCH higher DPS, and it matters really there.
IGN: MortalKombat
Molten Strike build guide: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1346504

There is no knowledge
That is not power
"
Peenk wrote:

Not really.
This, my man, is a build enabler, and it enables DoT builds and finally makes adder's touch more than an added flavor. If you're a straight crit dagger build or some variation, you're better off with a good rare.
Wish the armchair developers would go back to developing armchairs.

◄[www.moddb.com/mods/balancedux]►
◄[www.moddb.com/mods/one-vision1]►

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info