Thoughts on new CI

So there's been a lot of whining about the change to CI.

The thing is, most people didn't like that it was basically required for ES builds. The defensive option was CI or life, not really ES or life. Now they've reduced ES on gear, but increased ES on the passive tree, so basically if you want ES as your main defense, you need to invest in the passive tree, just as you would with life nodes.

Maybe we should disassociate CI with ES. I mean, yeah, you obviously have to have an ES build to use CI, but it's not the basis for the build, it's just an option you can use on top of an ES build, like GR or vaal pact or whatever. With the chaos changes, CI gives you the choice between losing your life stat, or having to invest, either with passives or gear, in chaos resist. So is there no point to getting CI? That seems ridiculous. Do you have to get CI with ES now? No. And I think that's the point.

Just my two cents.
Actually, it was the basis for the build. It's CI, HP/ES, or HP. There's no such thing as "ES" only builds. If you are referring to HP/ES, that has always had a certain viability many never bothered to consider (I didn't because I'm more interested in the power, not the life. I've never wanted life.) Even now, it's just making Ghost Reaver all the more required for ES builds. I wish the Zealot's Oath node made HP/ES more appealing, but it hasn't.
Taking out the ES is one thing, but by adding alternative ways to get Chaos Resistance, I feel it just makes it more a niche build if you feel like using Blood Rage and don't want to worry about the degen.
"
Porkeh wrote:
Taking out the ES is one thing, but by adding alternative ways to get Chaos Resistance, I feel it just makes it more a niche build if you feel like using Blood Rage and don't want to worry about the degen.

Aren't all of the Keystones for 'niche builds'? I mean, sure, some are better more often, but come on. Why should CI be different?
"
jonts26 wrote:
"
Porkeh wrote:

Aren't all of the Keystones for 'niche builds'? I mean, sure, some are better more often, but come on. Why should CI be different?

1. The downside to CI now is much larger than most other Keystones. Resolute Technique's downside is that you can't crit with the very little crit that you can get from passives. Iron Reflexes makes it so you can't dodge, but you get physical reduction to make up for it.

With CI, you lose all but 1 of your life, to gain immunity to Chaos. If this was the only way to reduce Chaos damage, it may not be that big of a deal. But because you can get Chaos Resist eslewhere, it seems like a high price to be paid.

2. The past expectations of the keystone. CI used to be a way to change how you would build your character, and play the game. Now, it's just 25% Max resistance vs Chaos damage.

I don't normally play CI characters, and didn't plan on making one in OB, I just feel like they may have nerfed it a little to much, directly and indirectly.
Last edited by Porkeh on Jan 22, 2013, 10:41:46 PM
Love the change is was way to powerfull so really good change.

Watching 25k ES characters on default was abit to much
Watching 12k life characters on anywhere is too much. I think we should take away BM and make Kaom's Heart required for all builds by lowering the base health by 50%.
"
Xikorut wrote:
Watching 12k life characters on anywhere is too much. I think we should take away BM and make Kaom's Heart required for all builds by lowering the base health by 50%.

lol in what game you playing? only way to get that ias having Kaoms heart and max life nodes. normal life builds is around 3-6k hp. So explain to me how in gods name you cant see the logic to not have builds that provides 25k HP?

Stop whining CI got fixed hell ES might need to get even more toned down if we still see build with 20K ES
Last edited by Burmeister99 on Jan 22, 2013, 10:46:23 PM
double post 4TL
Last edited by Burmeister99 on Jan 22, 2013, 10:45:41 PM
What game are you playing? I've never even heard of 18k ES since CI got lowered to 50%. Slurms had basically the best ES gear anyone could have found last league and he would have had less than 18k with a buttload of ES nodes (all of them).

Oh, and 12k life? I saw a dude with 7k life and 700 life regen in a pvp match. I couldn't hurt him with a high level penetration gem. He didn't have Kaom's and he apparently had plenty more viable life to gain. 12k life? I think you can reach 14k actually. It would just be boring as hell.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info