[Nemesis] Nyx's Incinerate Tank

Oh wow, looks like this thread exploded since I took a break from the game last month. I'll try to address everything so far.

Tooltip DPS: My damage went up in patch 1.0.4. 5-linked level 18 Incinerate: 1419 DPS. All numbers should be multiplied by 12 for max charge, shotgun DPS.

@Kraiwen: I have no idea what you're talking about. I made this build myself. I'm well aware that others have made similar builds, but at least get your facts straight before you call someone out on something.

Bandits: I killed Oak in norm, and killed all 3 in Cruel and Merciless. You can take the cast speed instead if you want, but the build is pretty point heavy already.

About Armour: Armour isn't too important with Arctic Armour. The damage you take is mitigated by a lot, so armour matters less in the damage calculations. On the note of near death experiences, never run a Promenade map. Ever.

Corrupting Blood: This debuff only becomes a problem once you run out of enemies to kill. Cybil's will usually keep you up through the worst of it, but I run a Staunching flask, and pop it immediately after the mob dies. If it's in a particularly scary map, I also run a 4-linked fireball to slowly kill them (if I don't just skip them entirely). You can also charge up Incinerate in the opposite direction of the mob, then swing the flames around to them to reduce the amount of time you're taking damage.

Lightning thorns: I don't even notice this, Cybil's Paw seems out to almost entirely outheal the damage (unless it's the boss of Promenade)

Cloak of Defiance: It could be good, but gearing is already difficult due to the high number of uniques you need, coupled with the oddly specific ring stats. If you can make the other gear work, by all means go for it. Just know that gearing will be hell.
I hate people who ignore consent.
Last edited by Lilysol on Jan 30, 2014, 2:19:10 AM
"
Lilysol wrote:
Oh wow, looks like this thread exploded since I took a break from the game last month. I'll try to address everything so far.

Tooltip DPS: My damage went up in patch 1.0.4. 5-linked level 18 Incinerate: 1419 DPS. All numbers should be multiplied by 12 for max charge, shotgun DPS.

@Kraiwen: I have no idea what you're talking about. I made this build myself. I'm well aware that others have made similar builds, but at least get your facts straight before you call someone out on something.

Bandits: I killed Oak in norm, and killed all 3 in Cruel and Merciless. You can take the cast speed instead if you want, but the build is pretty point heavy already.

About Armour: Armour isn't too important with Arctic Armour. The damage you take is mitigated by a lot, so armour matters less in the damage calculations. On the note of near death experiences, never run a Promenade map. Ever.

Corrupting Blood: This debuff only becomes a problem once you run out of enemies to kill. Cybil's will usually keep you up through the worst of it, but I run a Staunching flask, and pop it immediately after the mob dies. If it's in a particularly scary map, I also run a 4-linked fireball to slowly kill them (if I don't just skip them entirely). You can also charge up Incinerate in the opposite direction of the mob, then swing the flames around to them to reduce the amount of time you're taking damage.

Lightning thorns: I don't even notice this, Cybil's Paw seems out to almost entirely outheal the damage (unless it's the boss of Promenade)

Cloak of Defiance: It could be good, but gearing is already difficult due to the high number of uniques you need, coupled with the oddly specific ring stats. If you can make the other gear work, by all means go for it. Just know that gearing will be hell.

Interestingly enough, I have done Promenade many times without issue. I just didn't "spray and pray" it, and threw a topaz flask in to pop if needed. I've killed that boss pair at least eight times now with zero deaths, between levels 73 and 84. Since you mentioned it under armor, perhaps meant Collonade (the one with the Kole clone)?

Also, welcome back. Now I can stop trying to answer questions in a thread belonging to someone else. :D

On another note, I decided to reroll this build using a Templar instead of a Scion, for the sole reason that the 6% melee phys node that you must invest in to open up the block nodes at the Scion start was driving me insane. So I ended up tweaking the tree just a hair and taking the 4%/20% defense node and 2% block node next to it that's near Unwavering Stance. This does make the build slightly tighter in points while leveling, but after 85+, and assuming using Iron Will, the Templar should start coming out ahead by a little bit, since the four points I had to spend to reach those block nodes were invested in +10 str nodes. Not a huge difference either way, but dammit, there's 3k+ Scions on the Dom ladder, and only 600 or so Templars. ;)

Edit: Another thing that I have found to be incredibly awesome with this build (though by no means mandatory) is
Fortunately, they are rather inexpensive, and it's saved my ass more than once when I ended up taking a bit of heavy fire past my block and noticed that due to MoM, my Incinerate was about to start sputtering like a car with carburetor problems, which is no good when it needs to be casting well for Cybil's to do what it does best.
Last edited by Gallowmere1984 on Jan 30, 2014, 11:44:28 PM
Aye, I run the unique flask too, I never take it off, actually, though that's mainly because I'm lazy.
Hello, sorry to bother! I'm trying to look at all the builds to decide which one i want to run since i'm planning to get a new char and build up an incenerator! This is the one that i liked most but i have a question regarding MoM: I saw in the video that you run haste wich a understand why but i saw that you end up with 600 mana. If you run MoM isn't that value i little bit too low? I know that block works great and you should not be taking dmg but if you do so could be possible that the hit get you to 0 mana?

Anyway you could provide me some tips on leveling? Should i rush US and EB taking what i can on the way to that? At what level should i look to get near max block?

Thanks for the build :)
Your mana pool isn't that important for Mind over Matter, assuming your mana regeneration is adequate. If you're worried, I recommend running the aforementioned Lavianga's Spirit, which lets you run half regen maps, and is a nice panic button if you take a hit and need to quickly get your mana back up for another hit while also still casting.

Edit: I should also mention that you don't need to get 100% efficiency out of Mind over Matter, because Arctic Armour already neutralizes most of the damage you take. MoM is there to make you even more tanky, it's not meant to be the source of your tankiness.
Last edited by Lilysol on Feb 2, 2014, 2:24:55 PM
"
Lilysol wrote:
Your mana pool isn't that important for Mind over Matter, assuming your mana regeneration is adequate. If you're worried, I recommend running the aforementioned Lavianga's Spirit, which lets you run half regen maps, and is a nice panic button if you take a hit and need to quickly get your mana back up for another hit while also still casting.

Edit: I should also mention that you don't need to get 100% efficiency out of Mind over Matter, because Arctic Armour already neutralizes most of the damage you take. MoM is there to make you even more tanky, it's not meant to be the source of your tankiness.

I would definitely agree with this, especially the last part. Honestly, I didn't even take MoM until I was almost in my mid-70s on my Scion and early 80s on my Templar, just because it took me that long to find rings with mana regen that made me comfortable with having it. To be quite frank, it's complete overkill in my experience (up to 73 map bosses, and facetanked all so far), but it does give you that bit of extra comfort that comes with never dropping below 75% health, even with fairly bad runs of block...well, except on Shock and Horror...seriously, screw that boss since it was buffed.

As for the leveling, I did exactly what you mentioned when leveling with this. Rushed for US and EB. As for block capping, keep in mind, if you level using Perandus' shield, you'll actually need far fewer nodes to cap while leveling, since it's a 40% shield versus the 30% on Rathpith. That being said, just make sure you're able to hit that extra 10% around the time you hit 68.
Last edited by Gallowmere1984 on Feb 3, 2014, 8:22:54 PM
The best part of the build is that, as long as you have the important parts, the order you get everything else doesn't matter as much. I ended up hovering around 71% block until my late level 80's just grabbing everything else I wanted, and honestly never noticed noticed a difference.

Everything synergizes so well that if you end up missing one or two nodes here and there, you don't really notice it. EB and Unwavering are really the only two crucial things here, other than general concepts like "Have lots of block" and "Have enough life to take a big hit or two".
"
Lilysol wrote:
The best part of the build is that, as long as you have the important parts, the order you get everything else doesn't matter as much. I ended up hovering around 71% block until my late level 80's just grabbing everything else I wanted, and honestly never noticed noticed a difference.

Everything synergizes so well that if you end up missing one or two nodes here and there, you don't really notice it. EB and Unwavering are really the only two crucial things here, other than general concepts like "Have lots of block" and "Have enough life to take a big hit or two".

I can attest to this. The 2 most important nodes, EB being the most important because it lets you run Incinerate with TS with EP and still be able to support incinerate. The second is Unwaivering which i waited until lvl 75 or so when i started noticing that i was getting stunned a lot more than i wanted to. MoM i didn't get till around 78 because i just didn't really need it and honestly still dont, but it has saved my ass a couple of times which is nice.

I still want to recommend the Anvil. Sure you cast speed goes down and so does the perfect spell block, but it's just amazing when it comes to surviveability. not only does it feed you HP and Mana when you block it also reflects. And with EP and TS it just synergizes so well.
Last edited by warlick on Feb 14, 2014, 11:06:29 AM
very excited to try this out, thanks for posting!
░░░░░░░░▄▄▄▀▀▀▄▄███▄░░░░░
░░░░░▄▀▀░░░░░░░▐░▀██▌░░░░
░░░▄▀░░░░▄▄███░▌▀▀░▀█░░░░
░░▄█░░▄▀▀▒▒▒▒▒▄▐░░░░█▌░░░
░▐█▀▄▀▄▄▄▄▀▀▀▀▌░░░░░▐█▄░░
Having run a very similar build before i think there are 2 big Cons everyone should be aware of:
1) Lightning thorns absolutely wrecks incinerate. The speed at which it is cast is such that you can kill yourself near instantly. In softcore this isnt such a huge issue( as its just a little loss of xp), but in hardcore all it takes is one slip up and your character is toast.
2) MoM is inherently unreliable. When you need leech most, is when you suddenly dont have the mana to cast your leeching spell. This might not come up often, but all it takes is one instance and your hardcore character will be toast.
For years i searched for deep truths. A thousand revelations. At the very edge...the ability to think itself dissolves away.Thinking in human language is the problem. Any separation from 'the whole truth' is incomplete.My incomplete concepts may add to your 'whole truth', accept it or think about it

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info