The Ultimate End-Game Solution? A Fresh Take on the Endless Dungeon Idea

This is a great idea.

The only issue I see is that progressing though the early part of the dungeon would quickly become pretty stale. If it starts at 66 and scales up once every 3 floors (just making up numbers), it wouldn't be a challenge for many characters until floor 12 (level 70). Those first 12 floors could be pretty boring.

Maybe some way to choose a starting point? Maybe you spend a map to set your starting floor? So if you want to start at level 70 you need a level 70 map.

That made me think of something:

How about a vendor recipe that takes any map (plus a chaos or some other cost) and creates a unique map that has the features you outlined, starting at the level of the map you used in the recipe.

That way it sorta fits into the current map system - you access this new endless dungeon through the Eternal Laboratory just like any other map. I think it'd have to have unlimited portals though.
I really like the idea, and I'd most definitely like to see something like this implemented.

However, there's a really crucial thing that I think you did not take into consideration: the passive point advantage from levels. Since PoE isn't like, let's say, World of WarCraft, where it's pretty much "get to the max level and start the real game", and people have different amount of passive points spent on the tree, this could create a huge gap between veterans (95+) and fairly new players (~85). Level 85 is a fairly high level, but there're many 90+ players around, and those 10 points can make a significant difference (~2k DPS in my case, for example, but ~2k per GMP missile, and without a 6th link).

I personally would like to have a way to get to at least level 90 or 95 without as much trouble as now, before implementing something like this.

But as I said, I really like the idea!
Last edited by luorax on Dec 3, 2013, 12:06:25 PM
I really like this idea
I like the idea, even being a huge fan of the map system, its really hard to get a group with currency going.

I have the currency and gear to map in a 6 player party till the end of the league, but everyone i start mapping with just vanishes from the game 1-2 weeks after or start a new character, people lack the interest and determination (and a lot of people dont have the currency)and i find really hard to find a permanent party like streamers do.

For me, its path of alts again in this league, i was almost in 75+maps(i was doing good in position 250 in domination ladder @ level 87 like a week ago even with a job and a band) when all my friends just vanished from the game cause lack of currency and interest in playing,
just like all the people i add in my friend list from ramdom map parties, people stop playing really fast. And after soloing 12 70 maps, spending 40 chaos, and getting 1 69 out of it, i dont feel like mapping again.

So +1 cause it would be great to have another place to farm with my high end characters.
IGN: Ziggro
Last edited by ziggro on Dec 3, 2013, 1:15:50 PM
This a really awesome idea. Would definitely keep me playing this game for much longer. Right now when I play, once I get to a high level, I don't feel like there is much else to do except roll another alt. This gives so much play time for leveled characters, and more of a reason to keep playing your end game characters except for just loot and leveling up.
Nice ideas in this thread! As a roguelike fan I completely support the endless dungeon concept wherever I see it crop up.
<Tyrfalger> Exactly, the next act is going outside Sarn and into those wheat fields (see the map) to become a farmer. Then we can spend our days endlessly farming. Wait a minute...
I really like this idea. Have some support from me.
Thanks for the great ideas, everyone! I've updated the OP with some details about what's been happening on the Reddit thread.
Hideout of the Week S01E04 thread: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1088847
Last edited by Vultighjime on Dec 3, 2013, 7:53:40 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info