Blood Magic still weak

You can easily go for blood magic-supported auras with a 50-50 (low life) build to ensure you're always on low life. With shavronne's and blood magic auras you can easily maintain low life at little to no risk, and have your whole mana pool free, likely for Mind over Matter. I agree that the keystone passive is shit for running auras. They're gonna have to increase the node behind BM by at least 10 or 20% more for it to be a decent idea.
Alright, gonna be harsh.

Currently Blood Magic sucks because of the aura changes. Mortal Conviction doesn't change anything.

Every inventive way I've thought about changing Blood Magic just allows for an exploit so I've just sat here for the last 5 minutes trying to think of stuff, and it would no longer really be Blood Magic... like change it so mana isn't removed but you have no mana regeneration, you take life from the percentage of mana from a given skill and if you have no mana takes life instead. Eg. you have 1000 hp and 100 mana skill is 15 mana, so takes 15 mana and 150 hp. If you have no mana takes 15hp. When you reserve mana you take that percentage from life as damage and reserves mana. I don't particularly like it, but it's probably the most crazy thing I'm going to post anyways as a fleeting idea.
7 auras requires heavy gear investment as well
merp merp
"
twiztedmind wrote:
"

as i said, i dont run BM as a passive, like ever.
my main is using atm 6 auras +BM gems

and if he wouldn't mind i could give you the name of my friend that tried to copy my build using BM and ended up using the 2*60%+1*40% with 30% total reserved life, but he does mind afaik (as i said it isnt really viable to do so)

btw, i frequently run lvl 72 maps with my lvl 77, facerolling them too even solo despite being build as a party character (6 auras at +78% each)

And you shouldn't :) .. I am not using it either :) ... I stopped using it in the older version, in the new one, its absurd :) Btw your math in your previous post even prove it further that it is even worse. I tough at least the passive nodes all stack. At least mortal conviction to stack with the other reduced passive nodes. With your math it is even worthless to even try using BM with aura running. The only twisted build that i can think of using this stuff is something like this (in link below), with shavrones, and Alpha only while casting the auras.

supporter

Using your Math of Exile :) .... with Alpha and passives - 54% reduction, reduced mana gem lvl 20, and Mortal conviction, the 60% auras will go 12% life reserved each and the 40% should go 7% (life reserved). That should let you use 8 - 60% auras, or some 40%s... since you don't regen life - drop vitality aura, also dont needing clarity since you dont have mana anymore....

Maybe the 3 new ele resist auras for a total of 3x7%=21% reserved life
All 3 damage auras for another 3x12%=36% reserver life
OF course Discipline for another 12%

for a total of 69% reserved life... so 31% left, for another aura, maybe determination and/or grance for even more survivability... using wand and a shield... this should go well, but only in theory, again... oh forgot to mention all auras are 99% buffed with the passives, so everything is x2 effect, Resolute Tehnique is also required since you have live 50% chance of hitting stuff...

But then again without BM with the same build, without Mortal Conviction, a 60% aura will be dropped to exactly 20% reserved mana for the 60%-ish ones, and 15% for the 40-ish ones... so...

you can still put the 3 damage auras with the discipline for 80% of you mana, and the 3 ele linked to lvl 20 BM gem into life for 90% reduced life... these 2 passive nodes from BM could go for some mana pool near the witch. Both builds should be further improved with 10% if using reduced mana quality gems, And/or using Prism Guardian

At the end there should be about 100% increase of Armor if using Determination, 600 ES from clarity, maxed resistances 4% x 100 effect... like 8% plus the elemental Adaptation node for 2% more so you should end up with 85% to all ele resistances, which is quite impressive.... Since you are running 3 damage auras with 100% Effect added, I wont even bother about that slot lost for mana leech or life leech :)

more or less my build (but with life instead of ES and IR for defence):
me at next lvl:
Spoiler
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgABAnEDlgSzDjwRlhUgFy8ZhhmKGjgajxzcHaoksCcLJ-0ppSpNLOkvbzIJMok1kjboNuk6UjsoPC0_J0KjRnFKfUrITipV1lfiWK9Z81uvYENk52aeZ6BsRm49bqpvnnC7cmxyw3YId-V4DX_GgKSDCYbRh3aI8ZBVkn2SzZLzkyeYb5u1ogCnhKluqwusR6xZrKq0DLXytz7AGsM6xPbGrspKzAbZE90N4YjjauXP52PrLOw48B_xdvPd9tr60vsJ_MX-Cg==

with lvl 18 reduced mana gem atm i use 4 60% and 1 40% aura of my mana and clarity on my life through BM gem and i am left with 25mana.
my auras are +81% for me
with grace+det i have 26k armor, and with the mana regen from clarity i use a lvl 18 arctic armor

i use BM gem with my attack as well as my curse.

main source of damage is insane attack speed + anger+wrath. loh on 2 claws +double strike+multistrike+melee splash +weapon elemental, change splash for a loh on orange bosses.
16% crit chance and ~9attacks/second mean that i am almost always hitting double shocked things (due to how double strike crits work)

the 40% aura is usually purity because the +47%resist all allows me to go crazy with IIR gear, when using my normal resist gear i either use purity of lighning for dominus runs, or vitality just because i can.

the problem is that my setup allows for 0 gem space for cwdt/cws and etc, so manual cast on enduring cry and manual cast on enfeeble (instead of elem weakness which i usually cast) on heavy hitters.

for fast IIR runs, grace+wrath+anger+haste+purity+clarity+arctic annihilate everything without running any serious risk.

as i said ago, a friend of mine tried to run something similar with BM passive, he resorted to now only use wrath+anger+purity and he reserves 30% of his life, his build isn't faring terribly, but i think he is faring a little bit worse.

I don't have a lot of life in my build, after clarity maybe 2.8k, and him not going out of his way for some of the nodes i needed allow him to have ~2.5k after reserve, i am melee though and he is ranged (ST) so that gives him a lot of survivability.

As i said, going BM and using 2-3 auras isn't impossible, optimal? i dont know, but certainly not something to reroll if you plan well.

edit:
as far as accuracy goes, you don't really need resolute, having 88% accuracy with just 3 points into accuracy (which also grant me 9%ms, could gain higher accu but i love the ms...).
now that 88% is for lvl 77mobs, i'm not running lvl 77 maps, higher i've run is 72 so far and i have np hitting things there

edit2:
quality on the reduced gems will do you nothing, only affect costs not reservation
Last edited by shroudb on Dec 2, 2013, 1:57:48 PM
Never used a quality Reduced mana gem for auras, so thank you for clarifying that for me, again, helpful ! Build seems nice, but I wouldn't walk around on 3k hp (2.8):) ... not as Range, leave melee aside, actually I am not running any character with less than 200% increased HP from nodes. But hey, thats just me :) ... Even if I decide to go SC, still don't want a 1 hit from a boss that will take me back to town :)
Me, personally, i will drop both the 3 Accuracy, and the 3 crit nodes, take Resolute Tehnique for 2 more nodes... and the rest 4 i will put in 8% life which will bring me another 32% life. The reason ? Well, you dont have any Crit multiplier nodes, nor you have any other crit chance nodes. Another reason.. as a melee char, not specialized in high accuracy dex nodes etc... i prefer hitting 100% of the time rather than with 12% miss (also neglect accuracy mods on items), I assume you too don't want to miss while hitting 'cause u leech life :) ... even if you crit like 20% of the time these 20% crits are only with x1.5 multiplier of your damage, so its kinda useless. Also as HP, without 50% chance to avoid stun (as CI) AND melee i will definitely get Unwavering stance nearby! ... and i would take the path on the left upstairs of the scion, instead the one on the left... to get that 1% life regen which is equal to lvl 7 vitality aura, move upstairs through that path go directly for the Purity of Flesh for further increase HP and chaos res.... and if I leveled the toon enough... later spent 3 nodes on Inner force .... Well if you like so much the 9% move speed you can always spent these 4 nodes left from crit an accuracy to to nearby Leather and Steel node near IR, for another 32% Increase Eva/armor and some move speed bonus :)
Just started playing at release and to me the bloodmagic passive looks like a leveling ability that you respec out of once you have more sockets/mana/leech/bloodmagic gems or whatever so you can sustain your abilities, anyone trying to run bloodmagic passive at high level is just seriously gimping themselves by losing the ability to mix and match auras around encounters while keeping all of their hp, dropping 20% of your hp seems like a really bad idea and i dont think i can be convinced otherwise.

If there was no blood magic gem i can see how the passive may have a place for high cost skills, but right now i just plug a blood magic gem into my main attack while cwdt casts my curse and defensive spells for me at no cost and get to run around with 2 to 3 auras and not use mana anyway. If someone is saying they would trade 3 auras for an extra damage gem they need to get their head or their build checked. Before cwdt i can see how blood magic might work for a high life character using a 6 link damage ability and lots of other smaller skills, but cwdt makes all of those other little defensive buffs automatic.

I dont know how auras used to work since i didnt play then but they are pretty powerful and your handicapping yourself by not using them. And if you are using them with blood magic passive then you are handicapping your health pool, seems like lose lose to me.

I can look around the skill tree and see passives that seem weak at first but after playing with them can see how they could be potentially powerful, blood magic however looks like a noobtrap skill no matter what unless your super geared and super lazy and have a 5 man group of aura bots to carry your laziness.
Last edited by Rimez on Dec 2, 2013, 3:37:54 PM
Buff infused shield back up to 20% and just make Mortal conviction give 20% MORE life, as like a parallel to infused shield. Drop the notion of BM ever running auras all together, but make it worth it.
IGN: Smegmazoid
Long live the new Flesh
"
Peenk wrote:
I want to know why he said they were stronger than ever, when in fact nobody fucking uses the BM passive anymore :) GGG don't have a clue about there own game.

I use BM passive, but i use facebreaker, and i can t use auras.
ALso i am lvl 93 and not having auras is not really a problem at all because party.

I think the Bm node is ok, the problem is most auras sux in general because of their cost (and it was allready too high in past, the only reason auras where OP was because of uniqs exploits).
Forum pvp
Last edited by lolozori on Dec 2, 2013, 4:14:54 PM
"
twiztedmind wrote:
Never used a quality Reduced mana gem for auras, so thank you for clarifying that for me, again, helpful ! Build seems nice, but I wouldn't walk around on 3k hp (2.8):) ... not as Range, leave melee aside, actually I am not running any character with less than 200% increased HP from nodes. But hey, thats just me :) ... Even if I decide to go SC, still don't want a 1 hit from a boss that will take me back to town :)
Me, personally, i will drop both the 3 Accuracy, and the 3 crit nodes, take Resolute Tehnique for 2 more nodes... and the rest 4 i will put in 8% life which will bring me another 32% life. The reason ? Well, you dont have any Crit multiplier nodes, nor you have any other crit chance nodes. Another reason.. as a melee char, not specialized in high accuracy dex nodes etc... i prefer hitting 100% of the time rather than with 12% miss (also neglect accuracy mods on items), I assume you too don't want to miss while hitting 'cause u leech life :) ... even if you crit like 20% of the time these 20% crits are only with x1.5 multiplier of your damage, so its kinda useless. Also as HP, without 50% chance to avoid stun (as CI) AND melee i will definitely get Unwavering stance nearby! ... and i would take the path on the left upstairs of the scion, instead the one on the left... to get that 1% life regen which is equal to lvl 7 vitality aura, move upstairs through that path go directly for the Purity of Flesh for further increase HP and chaos res.... and if I leveled the toon enough... later spent 3 nodes on Inner force .... Well if you like so much the 9% move speed you can always spent these 4 nodes left from crit an accuracy to to nearby Leather and Steel node near IR, for another 32% Increase Eva/armor and some move speed bonus :)

crit chance is important because it more than doubles my crit to 16%.
i don't care for the 150% damage, i care for the double shock stack that comes from it giving me 60% more damage from then on from a single crit.

88% to hit lvl 77 mobs translates to like 90-92% chance to hit lvl 72 mobs, i'm fine with it since crits provide me with 60% more damage as i said above.

taking life nodes is what i will do from now on, the way i run my auras i run around with -140damage/hit and 27k armor-> 49k armor when flasked +3end charges. i also run lvl18 enfeeble as a second aura. Not much can one shot me, same thing goes for US, sure i don't lose anything getting it, but i rarely get stunned, and if i get stunned it's for a brief second, never caused me problems so far, so for the moment i prefer to put those 2 extra points into life first and then US.

the later on paths you are talking are for really high lvl, like lvl 100+, i dont plan to play a single toon that far, i get bored way too easily, 1% regen is worthless for me, 30hp/sec is nothing compared to 12 attacks/sec each giving me 36hp/mob hit or 76hp for bosses (close to 900hp/sec from loh which is instantand bypasses armor/blocks/immunities/etc)

the only reason i run vitality is that i need 2 more lvls on my reduced mana gems to actually run 5 60% auras ^^ it is just a filler.

most of my armor comes from grace (i have 7k armor without auras, 27k with) and ms while nice isn't the most important stat for me due to moving around with whirling blades (with my attack speed it is way faster even though i already have 155% ms), so taking the 2 nodes that would give me +40% evasion will effectivly give me far more armor for far less investment.

atm, the ONLY problem i face is HP, but from the way i see it, from now on the next 5 lvls will give me +40% hp, and a little bit afterwards another 24% hp and another 30% fire damage from going towards marauder from the bottom up.

at least this is my plan so far
Last edited by shroudb on Dec 2, 2013, 4:27:02 PM
The issue was because of the way auras were changed.

If I may make a suggestion, here is a way to reduce aura spam, but still have blood magic be viable.

1. Restore auras back to their old state, where they reserve flat mana (rather than %).

2. Make auras like curses in the sense that you can only have one aura up at a time (to stop people from using every aura).

3. Have passive nodes and/or items available that allow using an additional aura (same as with curses), so people that want to run 2 or 3 auras need to make an investment in terms of passives or items.

This way, not everyone can run all auras, but people that want to build around multiple auras can do so, and blood magic is not penalized (thanks to flat cost).

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info