To GGG: Why I think your OBT intentions are detrimental to the game's future

Hackers and cheaters ruin games, period. Unless you're on a closed alpha and beta and actually report loopholes to developers, if you do it, you're an idiot.

As far as giving increased zoom, and minimap esp like locations to everyone because of cheaters, it's a piss-on-the-wind argument.

Hackers can generate loot! We have to give everyone the ability to generate loot!
And why will you play then? Right.

There are pretty good ways to get rid of most of the hackers. Things like server side checking can make it pretty difficult to hack. Not impossible, that much but much more difficult.
Games like League of Legends and DOTA2 do it. It worked pretty well.

The game is free? People can create new accounts? Simple. Hardware Bans.
The concept is simple. When you are banned, the game attributes a "hash" (alphanumeric number) to your current pc components. Usually hard drive, and MAC adress.

Whenever you try to log in with the same components, the alarm is triggered, and you're still banned. Your account and IP don't matter. You can reformat, it wont matter. The only thing that will work is changing 50 to 75% of the registered components, which isn't a viable solution at all given the price.

Hackers generally will tell you these bans are easy to get around, for obvious reasons, but the truth is they're very darn effective.

This coupled with some 'shadow' updates every now and then, would thin out the horde of hackers pretty quickly. Also, it would discourage hacking.

There could still be a few hackers in the game, but I doubt the number would be high at all.
Last edited by Syde on Jan 10, 2013, 12:22:16 PM
tl;dr.

However, I thought I would do a word count. 3,661 words in the OP.

If the average reading speed is 200wpm, it will take about 18 minutes to read that post.
In Wraeclast, if someone tries to kill you... you just kill them right back.
Last edited by Trapperkeeper on Jan 10, 2013, 5:30:46 PM
"
Syde wrote:
Hackers and cheaters ruin games, period. Unless you're on a closed alpha and beta and actually report loopholes to developers, if you do it, you're an idiot.

As far as giving increased zoom, and minimap esp like locations to everyone because of cheaters, it's a piss-on-the-wind argument.

Hackers can generate loot! We have to give everyone the ability to generate loot!
And why will you play then? Right.

There are pretty good ways to get rid of most of the hackers. Things like server side checking can make it pretty difficult to hack. Not impossible, that much but much more difficult.
Games like League of Legends and DOTA2 do it. It worked pretty well.

The game is free? People can create new accounts? Simple. Hardware Bans.
The concept is simple. When you are banned, the game attributes a "hash" (alphanumeric number) to your current pc components. Usually hard drive, and MAC adress.

Whenever you try to log in with the same components, the alarm is triggered, and you're still banned. Your account and IP don't matter. You can reformat, it wont matter. The only thing that will work is changing 50 to 75% of the registered components, which isn't a viable solution at all given the price.

Hackers generally will tell you these bans are easy to get around, for obvious reasons, but the truth is they're very darn effective.

This coupled with some 'shadow' updates every now and then, would thin out the horde of hackers pretty quickly. Also, it would discourage hacking.

There could still be a few hackers in the game, but I doubt the number would be high at all.

Thats sadly not going to work, because *pro botting people* that earn 10 000 $ /24h from botting uses ways to circumvent this easily.
Cloud computing, Virtual Enviroments, IP changing and so on.
The only Botters your ideas would prevent is simple bots run by people just having downloaded a generic bot from a forum or such.
"
Trapperkeeper wrote:
tl;dr.

If the average reading speed is 200wpm, it will take about 18 minutes to read that post.

I got about a third of the way before I realized the entire thing is just a thinly veiled attempt for him to get his way and make his hacks legitimate heh.

Basically threatening the developers to do what he wants. That's how I read it anyway.
"
twincannon wrote:
"
Trapperkeeper wrote:
tl;dr.

I got about a third of the way before I realized the entire thing is just a thinly veiled attempt for him to get his way and make his hacks legitimate heh.

Basically threatening the developers to do what he wants. That's how I read it anyway.

What you read is suggestions.
You dont have to take everything by the letter.
The OP may have suggestions i dont agree with but i really think its worth thinking about if i were a game dev.
Instead of posting "Hah lol hacker" posts, post something constructive.
Help GGG make this game succeed.
Last edited by Planetsurvival on Jan 11, 2013, 1:25:56 AM
"
Trapperkeeper wrote:
tl;dr.

thanks
"
Trapperkeeper wrote:
tl;dr.

Updated main post in exchange for those stats. :p Hopefully, I didn't under/mis-represent anything included in the original reply. If I did, it wasn't my intention.
"
f3rret wrote:
There are plenty of F2P games around on the PC by now, none of them have died out due to a plague of cheaters.

Make of that what you will.

Also, you do not have some kind of special insight that the rest of us do not have. Get over yourself please.

They are all being put into a strangle hold by bots. runescape for example.
Every time an update occurs the player base drops from I think it was 60k to 30k
That is half the community as robots... Not to mention a robot is always grinding and regular people take breaks. So 70% maybe more of the items are being produced by bots.

What does that mean for you? Well instead of grinding for an hour and making 200k you now make 50k and have robots competing for the ores, trees and lowering the price of your fish.

This is the same reason I am concerned with bots running wild on PoE.
Unlike Runescape PoE is completely free to play. on runescape there is members and quests to complete before being able to grind "good spots."

Essentially every spot is a good spot to grind in PoE. Today I made a new character to play around on and found 8 chances and 2 alchs before i hit level 12. It was awesome, but if bots are doing this then it will be really hard to obtain great items since the botters will want mass currency for them. Even worse what if people sell every single 6l for real money?

I am seeing every other game fail to stop bots. I mean honestly it is a 24/7 job to fight botters alone. They are going to need a whole nother team to deal with them...

Obviously the fact we are in beta is deterring people from trying to profit, but if open beta draws the amount of players I am expecting there will be a market.

Currently if you like killing monsters PoE is your only option Imo.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info