"Prominent forum users"

I am confused about why it is preferable to "make it easier for prominent forum users to get in" to a closed beta.

If they are "prominent forum users" who do not already have beta access, what are they going to talk about on the forums?

I can see why you would want to reward someone who is interested in your game. But, it seems like you would just end up rewarding people for spamming your site with useless posts.

Lol
I am the greatest
"
coolguy wrote:
I am confused about why it is preferable to "make it easier for prominent forum users to get in" to a closed beta.

If they are "prominent forum users" who do not already have beta access, what are they going to talk about on the forums?

I can see why you would want to reward someone who is interested in your game. But, it seems like you would just end up rewarding people for spamming your site with useless posts.

If you're referring to the 10x chance, I think it's for the exact reason you mentioned. If someone posted atleast one post on the forum they 'could' possibly be more interested than someone with 0 posts. I do not have a beta key but am very active on the forums regardless, whether it be asking questions or answering questions I'm capable of, or just providing a little insight.

From what I have read I believe the 10x chance was only offered due to a backlash of community members who didn't feel it was fair for someone with 0 posts to get a key over someone who posts all the time. Even though I am pretty active I don't personally agree with this. Beta is for testing and nothing about posting on the forums makes you a better candidate to do QA on a game. But to defend GGG, you have to keep your community happy otherwise you have no audience. Regardless, I look forward to the day when they game is in production so all the griping can go away, and the true gaming can begin. :D
As a community member I think it is hard not to get excited about something you are pretty sure you are going to love. It canbe hard to see people with a "mild interest" pass you by on the beta bandwagon. However, as Pyro rightly stated and others have noted, beta is a good chance to drum up interest from various sections of the gaming world, to grow the hype and scope of reach to other gamers. Of course, it is about testing the game, but doing so with a diverse audience is usually preferred and wise. We would want gamers who say" hey I'm not really sure this is a good game" to check it out and submit some bugs etc, as they have different eye.

On the flip side, but not enrolling your most avid supporters who do their best to build your community, you risk leaving them out in the cold of the experience of beta, which is a great community and friend building experience that lasts well into production. It makes new ties and strengthens the community core.

It is hard to balance, and not a job I envy. I hope we all get to play soon, myself included. In the meantime, I think it's time to throw on some BBQ and grab a beer.

Peace.
Cheers 0/

Sibcoe
-------------
"
Sibcoe wrote:
As a community member I think it is hard not to get excited about something you are pretty sure you are going to love. It canbe hard to see people with a "mild interest" pass you by on the beta bandwagon. However, as Pyro rightly stated and others have noted, beta is a good chance to drum up interest from various sections of the gaming world, to grow the hype and scope of reach to other gamers. Of course, it is about testing the game, but doing so with a diverse audience is usually preferred and wise. We would want gamers who say" hey I'm not really sure this is a good game" to check it out and submit some bugs etc, as they have different eye.

On the flip side, but not enrolling your most avid supporters who do their best to build your community, you risk leaving them out in the cold of the experience of beta, which is a great community and friend building experience that lasts well into production. It makes new ties and strengthens the community core.

It is hard to balance, and not a job I envy. I hope we all get to play soon, myself included. In the meantime, I think it's time to throw on some BBQ and grab a beer.

Peace.

Very well said!

PS: I just finished my BBQ ribs.. yummmm... :]
1 post for interest ahahh
MMmm barbecue and Diablo 2 with it's antiquated graphics to tide me over.
I want BBQ ribs too :-P
Aww I want BBQ ribs...

I'll just have to settle for this blackberry pie while I wait to play this game.
Watch out for stairs.
Haha nice Pyrox - ribs rock, my Sat night party ribs, slow cooked 4 hours, mesquite hardwood - oh man - yum!
Cheers 0/

Sibcoe
-------------

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info