That time when the Doctor rerolled his character as a Templar

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1lAHEaOg6w&t=3m05s

Any Doctor Who fans here looking forward to the 50th anniversary special?

I'm going to be seeing it in the cinema in 3D :)
3D at the cinema? I wish... All I can do is wait impatiently and probably break the F5 button until one of the streaming sites updates... *shakes fist at national tv channel that holds the rights but refuses to actually show Doctor Who over here* :-D
The only cinema screening here is over 4 hours away. :(

Spoiler
Oh, look...OK... OMG... Wait, wHAt? WTF. AhahaHAHAHa... ReALLy? No WAY! ToM BaKer!!111! :-D
Gonna rewatch it later, and then again. First impression: bloody brilliant but still violating Rule No. 1. We'll see :-)
Spoiler
Well, at least now we have to shift everybody's numbers up by one, after the 8th. Btw, loved the "Night of the Doctor" short, and how it showed a young William Hurt after 8th's regeneration. Shows just how long the new 9th had been battling the Time War.

I liked it a lot, though it also causes some inconsistencies with "The End of Time" and the time-locked. Also, where the hell was Rassilon?!

Also, loved the little tidbits tossed in "Hold on, did you just say 'Bad Wolf'?" and Billie Piper's "no more" parroting was hilarious.

Definitely felt like a Russell T Davies episode, going for that big huge "Warm-happy feeling" emotional pay-off.
"
Spoiler
No shifting required. John Hurt's doctor is officially out of the numbering, simply called 'War' or the 'The War Doctor'.

Probably one of the most rewarding parts of this is it actually acknowledged 'The End of Time', since the High Council is off busy messing with The Master and the sound of drums to deal with the actual defence of Arcadia, according the War Council.

As for it feeling like an RTD? No, entirely too much cleverness as usual, and too much change. RTD's biggest change was off-screen -- the Time War itself -- and he wasn't up to the task of resolving it. Moffat inherited that and had to do something, so he did: he said 'no more' to the grieving and the regret, and most importantly he gave Matt Smith's doctor, the man-child who runs away, who 'forgets', an out. It's clear he's not the right Doctor for the task of finding and redeeming Gallifrey.

If you haven't seen them yet, 'An Adventure in Time and Space' (a BBC movie about the origins of Doctor Who) and 'The Five(ish) Doctors' (a parody wherein the 'other' doctors try to get onto the 50th Special) are both absolutely brilliant and essential to the overall '50th Anniversary' experience.

Spoiler
Regarding the numbering, there's a moment when the swarm of T.A.R.D.I.S. descend upon Gallifrey that the General mentions having twelve Doctors, and someone else says something like "No, all thirteen of them!" (I'm at work so can't check it for exact quote at this moment) and that's when we see the next Doctor's eyes. This indicates, to me at least, that the "War Doctor" is canon and considered part of the 13 regenerations.

Now, as to what this means for the future, I haven't got a clue. But, I'm reasonably certain that they'll use the fact that River gave all of her remaining regenerations to him in "Let's Kill Hitler."

I do agree that there was too much change to be considered a RTD script, but the big warm fuzzy feeling that I see people talking about (from the time the Curator shows up to the end) is definitely the similar big feeling that was evoked when the gang hauled Earth back from the Medusa Cascade (but before he had to wipe Doctor-Donna's memories).

I did watch the 'An Adventure in Time and Space' and really really liked it. As I was too young initially, and too ignorant, I only saw the occasional re-run of classic Who on PBS during the 70s and 80s while growing up. Seeing how it all began, and with so much of the in-fighting amongst the TV Brass, I'm kind of impressed at how it survived to get a second chance. I loved some of the backstory on both William Hartnell and Verity Lambert, too.

I haven't seen 'The Five(ish) Doctors' yet, so I'll go hunting that down next. Thanks! :)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info