Backbeards groundslam build

I constantly have people asking me about my spec on my stream so I figured I would make this thread. If you want to see this spec in action I stream US times in the day to early morning.

twitch.tv/depimpe

Here is a picture of me doing some leveling tonight
http://imgur.com/L00KOly

The idea of this build overall was to scale up groundslam with alot of increased physical damage and attack speed. When I was leveling up and it felt like I could spare some points I would get some mace damage or just flat melee physical damage nodes.

Right now on my build I am able to go through maps with ease ranging from 66-75 (those are the ones I have solo'd so far). Solo seems to be the best option for this spec, but you can easily group with other people.

Here is a link to my spec currently at 84

Keep in mind that I have tailored it really specific to my gear that I have.

http://tinyurl.com/LADDLEgravyonme

I recently ripped on this build to minus max GMP temple piety (we were pulling the adds around her and I logged out and logged in in standard). So this is where my character is now.

When I leveled this up I rushed for RT than went to the templar nodes first, which lead me to being dex starved. That is one thing you will have to struggle with throughout the game which is trying to make sure you have enough dex to get all the gems you need to 20 (ideally haste and blood rage)

I did groundslamming up to level 10 than I leap slammed to 17 and got a hrimnors, which I used until I was at 27 and bought a geoffris. After that I used that geoffris until I was in merci ledge thats when I finally got a replacement for a new maul.

But overall this may be a groundslam build but if you are leveling and dont have really good movespeed boots all the time then you should be doing leapslam instead. You need to be cautious on what you leap on as well

Gear setup:
I just ripped recently so heres my new set of gear so far I actually found a better weapon and my gear isnt half bad I am able to progress really easily.

I use the offhands for leveling gems.

I use a level 4 Cast on damage taken since that is right when the gem starts to scale 80 hp per level. 620 damage is really easy to take so it is still going off frequently. It gives you the benefit of molten shell at rank 9, temp chains at 7, and enduring cry at 7.
Last edited by backbeard on Nov 26, 2013, 9:09:00 PM
Nice build! I'm gonna try jammin.

With the CODT nerf, would you consider getting grace at lower levels?
With CODT nerf I am going to use enduring cry at level 5 and molten shell at level 7, and I will see what level temp chains once I get my temp chains 20Q and reset its level.
Good stuff!
Been watching your streams! Very solid & reliable build! At level 27 nemesis; and just had enough refund points to get Resolute technique like you said. Where do you plan to stick determination as you are leveling it up??
Winning Is Right, Losing is Wrong, Evolve or Die!
"
Testbuild wrote:
Been watching your streams! Very solid & reliable build! At level 27 nemesis; and just had enough refund points to get Resolute technique like you said. Where do you plan to stick determination as you are leveling it up??

Generally try and get your leap slam 4L'd best case scenario. But prioritize leap slam (if you use it to level if not then ground slam) as your top gem to gem up. Heavy strike after that once your getting some good sockets. But I didn't use determination at all really while leveling. I just got my 5L finally which allows me to run a 2nd aura easily so I am running haste and hatred.

Remember that you can have two weapons in your offhand and get 6 sockets from that easily. I chose axes since its generally easy to get the colors I need (red with maybe a few offcolors).
If I have extra currency when I start this char, what quality gems should I pick up?

Do you think qual ground slam and leap slam are useless since char is attacking very fast, or do you think it helps even a little?

Oh and another question, does multistrike + heavy strike work? Or is it unusable because of the knockback?
Last edited by spiritcrusher1385 on Nov 13, 2013, 3:08:10 PM
u picked US without IR isnt that suicide?
IGN Crakk
I remember that you said on stream that you can't use multistrike with a slow weapon. Why is that? Or can you and it is just not as good?
"
If I have extra currency when I start this char, what quality gems should I pick up?

Do you think qual ground slam and leap slam are useless since char is attacking very fast, or do you think it helps even a little?

Oh and another question, does multistrike + heavy strike work? Or is it unusable because of the knockback?

The most important quality gems are faster attacks + added fire + melee phys (you will need 2 at least). Besides that the only other really important quality would be increased duration.

Basically on all my gems atm you see im almost near 20 once I get them to 20 I can use 1 GCP and sell the gem to the vendor and get 20% qual level 1 gems. That is my plan since I have started to get near level 20 gem level requirement.

You CAN use multistrike + heavystrike but remember you probably wont need to swing that much on rares to require multistrike. Killing a boss is really good with multistrike though. The only reason I use it on ground slam is the animation is really fast. With haste on now I get .15 per attack, which is .45 seconds stuck in animation which isnt so bad.

"
woolly_wizard wrote:
I remember that you said on stream that you can't use multistrike with a slow weapon. Why is that? Or can you and it is just not as good?

Basically what I just said up here "The only reason I use it on ground slam is the animation is really fast. With haste on now I get .15 per attack, which is .45 seconds stuck in animation which isnt so bad."

"
maryn wrote:
u picked US without IR isnt that suicide?

It is a bit more YOLO some could say, but you do get armor from determination. Its hard to argue about getting more hp in my build or trying to put grace on instead of determination for safety. In the end determination will outscale the flat amount of grace but it will take really sick gear. With the gear I am starting to get it isn't that big of a deal trying to scale with it.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info