AoE Gem for Claws

"
Korruption16 wrote:
But how are they not long enough? Seems like the Katar-type claws of end-game appear to be at least a foot in length. I feel like that's long enough to scratch past a couple of guys, given they're sharp enough.
To "cleave" something means to cut it into two - Cleave is an attack which is, at least theoretically, able to slice the enemies in twain.
The vast majority of the claws in the game are clearly not long enough to accomplish this on a human-sized monster - they could open their guts, but not slice all the way through them, whereas longer weapons like swords could would be capable of such.
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
"
Korruption16 wrote:
But how are they not long enough? Seems like the Katar-type claws of end-game appear to be at least a foot in length. I feel like that's long enough to scratch past a couple of guys, given they're sharp enough.
To "cleave" something means to cut it into two - Cleave is an attack which is, at least theoretically, able to slice the enemies in twain.
The vast majority of the claws in the game are clearly not long enough to accomplish this on a human-sized monster - they could open their guts, but not slice all the way through them, whereas longer weapons like swords could would be capable of such.

It would be cooler anyways to get an AOE for claws that works differently than Cleave because it allows more diverse builds.

Imagine if every build uses the same AOE just because it works with the weapon, that would make characters all the same.
The best thing about this game is in fact the great customization, having more skills especially specific ones for specific weapons makes it even more diverse and more fun to play.

More choices = what this game does best and what players will enjoy the most.

So I'm all for more skill gems, uniques, weapons and passives nodes. There is still a lot of room for more cool things, so I hope you and the rest of GGG are all for making new awesome content!
I think whirling blades would be fine aoe if it didnt have such a huge base damage penalty (desync issues aside).
IGN: KoTao
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
"
Korruption16 wrote:
You heard it here first, everyone! Cleave is to become a one-hit-kill on everything except maybe those water monsters :)
My claw shadow is please with this news. Might make huge mobs more manageable, as right now I have to use whirling blades to cull the numbers down a bit before hacking away.
"Minions of your minions are your minion's minions, not your minions." - Mark
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
"
Korruption16 wrote:

I suppose I understand. I'm just worried about the solidity of my claw build at end-game with the fact that there isn't a viable AoE for the weapon type yet, and that I'll have to work hard to get 64 again in Open Beta and get all this gear without the ability to properly test the build before Open Beta with some sort of AoE gem.

"
KenshiD wrote:

It would be cooler anyways to get an AOE for claws that works differently than Cleave because it allows more diverse builds.

Imagine if every build uses the same AOE just because it works with the weapon, that would make characters all the same.
The best thing about this game is in fact the great customization, having more skills especially specific ones for specific weapons makes it even more diverse and more fun to play.

So I'm all for more skill gems, uniques, weapons and passives nodes. There is still a lot of room for more cool things, so I hope you and the rest of GGG are all for making new awesome content!

I understand your thoughts completely, I'd like a unique AoE skill for claws too. Mainly just trying to ask for something to hold me over, I suppose, as Whirling Blades truly doesn't cut it.
Last edited by Korruption16 on Dec 11, 2012, 12:57:15 AM
"

"
KenshiD wrote:

I understand your thoughts completely, I'd like a unique AoE skill for claws too. Mainly just trying to ask for something to hold me over, I suppose, as Whirling Blades truly doesn't cut it.

Yeah but I guess you can just wait another month, since I guess there will be new skills with open beta.

And you can use lightning strike which is kinda aoe. But I had the same problem with claw shadow. But patching in a new skill takes a while. It has to be a meaningful skill and should be balanced.
Yeah Lightning Strike is pretty much the goto AoE for melee Dagger/Claw builds at the moment. It is definitely not a lackluster AoE but it is also a weapon generic AoE at the same time.

I would like to see some bleed/poison AoE for the claws and daggers personally or a support for viper/puncture dot effects like Elemental Equilibrium support.

Thinking my next shadow is going to be Viper/Puncture with Poison Arrow on swap or something of that nature using claws or daggers as main weapon. Might make it a duelist instead to get some of the more prominent DW skill points and not have 8 shadows on my account.
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/36608
FAQ made through many hours of enduring global chat in Normal

I don't have much experience with the game as I've only recently supported it, but this is a clear issue from my perspective.

The weapons that drop, and the skills you're given, for melee are often at odds. It's extremely limiting early game and annoying at best for a new player. At times, you have to let realism go to the way side of fun game play.
"
Dark0mens wrote:
Yeah Lightning Strike is pretty much the goto AoE for melee Dagger/Claw builds at the moment. It is definitely not a lackluster AoE but it is also a weapon generic AoE at the same time.

I would like to see some bleed/poison AoE for the claws and daggers personally or a support for viper/puncture dot effects like Elemental Equilibrium support.

Thinking my next shadow is going to be Viper/Puncture with Poison Arrow on swap or something of that nature using claws or daggers as main weapon. Might make it a duelist instead to get some of the more prominent DW skill points and not have 8 shadows on my account.

With a physical life leech build (what my claw shadow is built around) Lightning Strike isn't that great of an option. Converts too much of my physical damage into lightning damage, plus the mana cost would be too steep with the supports necessary to make it a better AoE.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info