AoE Gem for Claws

I feel that one needs to exist, as Whirling Blades isn't enough, or even an option really. The damage is low compared to any other AoE attack, and throw in the unreliability of it hitting and the skill becomes impractical.

A decent option would be to add claws to the weapon types able to Cleave (seeing as how I could just...claw sideways, I don't see why claws can't Cleave already). This would give a decent AoE ability that could be used to clear up mobs a bit easier, as most groups of enemies tend to kill me before I can wipe most of them out.
"
Korruption16 wrote:
seeing as how I could just...claw sideways, I don't see why claws can't Cleave already
Claws are clearly not long enough to actually cleave a roughly human-sized enemy.

More AoE skills for Cleave and Daggers are planned.
Last edited by Mark_GGG on Dec 10, 2012, 1:03:47 AM
Mark please more AOEs for melee in general. So much love for ranged/casters and each patch that adds new skills I just see more reason to abandon melee for range/caster, which I've recently done.
Finished 17th in Rampage - Peaked at 11th
Finished 18th in Torment/Bloodline 1mo Race - peaked at 9th
Null's Inclination Build 2.1.0 - https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1559063
Summon Skeleton 1.3 - https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1219856
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
"
Korruption16 wrote:
seeing as how I could just...claw sideways, I don't see why claws can't Cleave already
Claws are clearly not long enough to actually cleave a roughly human-sized enemy.

More AoE skills for Cleave and Daggers are planned.

Estimate on how soon?

But how are they not long enough? Seems like the Katar-type claws of end-game appear to be at least a foot in length. I feel like that's long enough to scratch past a couple of guys, given they're sharp enough.

"
Moosifer wrote:
Mark please more AOEs for melee in general. So much love for ranged/casters and each patch that adds new skills I just see more reason to abandon melee for range/caster, which I've recently done.

I have to agree. There aren't that many options for melee, which I seem to prefer. I don't like the thought of having to use Ice Nova or something of that ilk on my melee guy just for some AoE damage capabilities.
If there were not desync or lag issues Whirlwind Strike would be good enough as AoE. It is a much more fun and exciting skill then Cleave, Sweep or GS. And much more skill needed.

I would argue that other melee AoE skills need to get inline with Whirlwind Strike.

Also skills like Infernal Blow, these would be much better as support skills for single target melee skills.

I tried a couple of melee builds and by far the most exciting is claws+viper strike and whirlwind strike for AoE. Too bad others melee builds are not as exciting.

Last edited by Torin on Dec 10, 2012, 5:41:05 AM
"
Moosifer wrote:

A high physical damage burst single target attack for shadows would also be cool.

Something like heavy strike for assassins. since the shadow kinda is that.

Could work with charges or so.

Besides that, on a related topic, another skill for powercharges would be cool, something that isn't as restrictive as the current one which forces you to use wands if you want powercharges.

That's just my 2 cents
"
KenshiD wrote:
"
Moosifer wrote:

A high physical damage burst single target attack for shadows would also be cool.

Double Strike acts as something like this. If you're going to focus on single target dmg, you'll probably want a large amount of crit. From my understanding if you crit with double strike once, it crits for both strikes which is a fair amount of dmg, and it's completely spammable.

The lack of AoE, and skills in general, for claws is the reason I never sought playing it after like level 30. It looks cool as hell, but I find it would be pretty hard to sustain any long term build around.
Last edited by Elynole on Dec 10, 2012, 9:41:31 AM
This is great news, because clearly there has been a lack of melee AoE skills especially for weapons such as claws and daggers, this will be a great addition.
Thank you for the response Mark. I had always assumed there would be some better choices for melee aoe regarding claws and daggers other then Lightning Strike and Whirling Blades(don't get me wrong, I love Whirling Blades and actually had a build using it as my main AoE with daggers).

Here's hoping we get something like "Rake"(AoE bleed) or an AoE Viper Strike style ability for claws/daggers. Next build for me to play around with is going to be a puncture/Viper Strike based build and an AoE with one of those would be awesome.
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/36608
FAQ made through many hours of enduring global chat in Normal

Last edited by Dark0mens on Dec 10, 2012, 12:16:12 PM
"
Elynole wrote:
"
KenshiD wrote:
"
Moosifer wrote:

Double Strike acts as something like this. If you're going to focus on single target dmg, you'll probably want a large amount of crit. From my understanding if you crit with double strike once, it crits for both strikes which is a fair amount of dmg, and it's completely spammable.

The lack of AoE, and skills in general, for claws is the reason I never sought playing it after like level 30. It looks cool as hell, but I find it would be pretty hard to sustain any long term build around.

It isn't really my Idea. It's from devmoon, but I agree. There should be some kind of assassination skill, slit throat something like that.

Doublestrike is very reliant on crits and is not really an assassination skill. It should be something like "uses all your frenzy charges, per frenzy charge it deals 75% more physical damage on hit"
Or Powercharges I don't care, but then powercharges would need another source to be generated from.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info