[1.0.1]theWombo's Crit Lightning Arrow with Pierce; FROST WALL ABUSE(semi noob-friendly)

killed Brutus in 2 seconds :O
Could you explain more exactly what you mean by "shotgunning" with frost wall? I don't quite understand XD.
"
andinuad wrote:
Could you explain more exactly what you mean by "shotgunning" with frost wall? I don't quite understand XD.

I added an image in the build that I helps explain the mechanic/idea(hopefully). Tell me if this is still unclear.
Not sure what map I should run or what mods to roll to demonstrate the build.. Do I just run any high level map? They are similar to lower level maps when I run solo since they still die quickly. Videos take 3 hours to upload on my connection so my next video should be decisive.
Hope somebody can help me out!

Also, does anybody have tips to help improve my guide? Not sure what should be changed or added. How are the pictures I created?
the pictures look nice
I still don't understand how the frostwall interacts with lightning arrow?

either the lightning arrow effect can shotgun and all three projectiles can hit the same enemy... or it can't?

what does frost wall have to do with it? does frost wall's knockback effect cause the same enemy to be pierced and then knocked back into the same arrow that just hit it? or something? is the frost wall just for crowd control? i don't see how frost wall raises DPS... and if it DOES, what other projectiles would this combination work with? or is unique to lightning arrow? or is lightning arrow just what this build makes use of in the combo?

What also doesn't make sense is.... if frost wall somehow vastly raises DPS, wouldn't you want to manually cast it on anything you wanted increased dps for? If frost wall does not raise dps, and is just being used defensively to hold monsters in place, then it does indeed make sense to use with cast on damage taken, but in that case I wouldn't call it "abuse".

Also in the video having the map open makes it quite hard to see... also there seems to be quite some low framerate making it hard to tell what's actually happening as well.
Last edited by namad on Nov 9, 2013, 10:31:53 AM
When Lightning Arrow / Frost Arrow hit ANY Target they proc their AoE/Cone-effect.
In case of Lighnting Arrow it hits 3 nearby targets.
Now it pierces and procs of another Frostwall for 3 more AoE hits.
I think that is what he meant.
http://i.imgur.com/TF8Auam.jpg
How would this build perform on nemesis/hardcore? It looks really fun!
lightning arrow isn't triggering frost wall though is it? are you saying the lightning arrow can hit the frost wall itself? and then the lightning arrow hits the frost wall and that triggers the aoe? then it pierces the frost wall? then it hits the real enemies and re-triggers area effect spells?

I've not used frost wall much ever so I really don't understand what it does, but if you can attack your own frost wall and trigger things based on that, that sounds awesome!

did I finally get it? if this is true maybe update the OP with some info about frost wall itself, it's very under used rarely used skill... everyone knows what LA does, but hardly anyone understands frost wall.
Thank you for the responses and feedback! I appreciate it and will attempt to incorporate and clarify these matters in my build tomorrow when I have time.

"
Almornik wrote:
When Lightning Arrow / Frost Arrow hit ANY Target they proc their AoE/Cone-effect.
In case of Lighnting Arrow it hits 3 nearby targets.
Now it pierces and procs of another Frostwall for 3 more AoE hits.
I think that is what he meant.

This is what I mean. Thank you for helping answer namad's questions. :)

"
namad wrote:
lightning arrow isn't triggering frost wall though is it? are you saying the lightning arrow can hit the frost wall itself? and then the lightning arrow hits the frost wall and that triggers the aoe? then it pierces the frost wall? then it hits the real enemies and re-triggers area effect spells?

I've not used frost wall much ever so I really don't understand what it does, but if you can attack your own frost wall and trigger things based on that, that sounds awesome!

did I finally get it? if this is true maybe update the OP with some info about frost wall itself, it's very under used rarely used skill... everyone knows what LA does, but hardly anyone understands frost wall.

Lightning arrow's aoe does proc once it pierces through the frost wall the same way it procs when it hits an enemy, I guess you can say it does "hit the frost wall itself" in that manner. Yes to everything you said in the first paragraph.

And yes, it is awesome. Thats why this build is so cool. I searched around for other builds that were similar but this seems to be the first, with Kirielis' ice shot crit pierce being the next closest example(http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/445674)

Yes you got it, I would expect that one can search up the skill info rather feasibly, but I can include skill descriptions and a detailed subject in the build detailing the importance of this mechanic, since there are many questioning this matter.

"
namad wrote:
i don't see how frost wall raises DPS... and if it DOES, what other projectiles would this combination work with? or is unique to lightning arrow? or is lightning arrow just what this build makes use of in the combo?

What also doesn't make sense is.... if frost wall somehow vastly raises DPS, wouldn't you want to manually cast it on anything you wanted increased dps for? If frost wall does not raise dps, and is just being used defensively to hold monsters in place, then it does indeed make sense to use with cast on damage taken, but in that case I wouldn't call it "abuse".

Also in the video having the map open makes it quite hard to see... also there seems to be quite some low framerate making it hard to tell what's actually happening as well.

Now that you understand the mechanics between pierce LA and frost wall, you can see how it does raise dps. This may work with Ice Shot's AOE, but I am unsure of other projectiles this way work with to raise dps; however defensively this may work with ground slam and Freezing pulse as they are not blocked by frost walls. Lightning arrow with pierce seems best damage wise though. Note that this NOT work with LA+Chain, as one overrides the other and you cannot have both together.

Manually casting it means not attacking; by not attacking and casting frost wall I believe this may decrease my dps, not mentioning the microing involved that would make this slightly impractical. However, you can use a spell totem+Frostwall+faster casting+increased duration for bosses. I usually play with a party so the spell totem is slightly distracting in a party so I use my last 4L to build power charges instead.

Abuse may be a slight exaggeration in an attempt to make my build sound better than it is, but lets say I meant abuse in terms of using frost wall in an unconventional way. Rather than using it for defense or the spell damage it takes, I use it to proc another skill. haha :)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info