Dual Physical Wand Ranger (6/14/13)

Maybe something is messed up on my end or I just don't understand it. When I look at the 1.1 passive tree I see Dervish and Leather and Steel are taken without the connecting nodes. How are you doing this or am I seeing this wrong?
Maybe my favorite game ever
Is it a good idea to Grab Eldrutcg Battery. Or am i just gonna be getting gear with armor and hp
Hey guys, sorry for the lack of an update! I didn't think this would ever be responded to again. =p

The build is now better as a Duelist with this tree. You'll want to focus on evasion, but don't take Acrobatics-- this is so you can still use Granite Flasks effectively. Okay, maybe you can get Acrobatics, but it depends on what you want to sacrifice for it.

Eldritch Battery is not needed, as grabbing the two Mana Flows and Mind Drinker is sufficient.

At the moment I'd go with the following gem setup (supports ordered by importance):

• Frenzy + Lesser/Greater Multiple Projectiles + Power Charge on Critical + Life Gain on Hit + Increased Critical Damage + Pierce or Added Fire Damage or Blind
  • Frenzy + Power Charge on Critical + Increased Critical Damage + Added Fire Damage
  • Grace + Purity + Hatred + Reduced Mana
  • Projectile Weakness + Critical Weakness + Temporal Chains + Enfeeble
  • Bear Trap + Added Fire Damage + Culling Strike
  • Vitality + Reduced Mana

Well I'm not sure about that last one, but it might be viable. Without mana on gear, and considering how much mana you'd have at level 90 with Intelligence requirements met, you'll have at least 912 mana. Oh and of course, get the highest quality Frenzy gems you can because the bonus is massive.

Notable gear choices:
  • Darkray Vectors helped this build out a good amount. The extra maximum Frenzy Charge is great, and at 8 of them you get 16% chance to dodge attacks (probably a great reason to get Acrobatics, hmmm...).
  • Alpha's Howl is awesome. Put your linked up auras in this for, well, obvious reasons. Good thing it's pure evasion! Starkonja's Head is a competent alternative.
  • Mana leech on gear is imperative, as Frenzy has quite the ridiculous mana cost.
  • Accuracy Rating is very helpful. You want to hit your enemies, don't you? I mean sure, you have a ton of Dexterity and 16% increased accuracy rating, but it's likely not enough.
  • Added physical damage from gear is extremely helpful, as wands have such little base physical damage in the first place. Glass cannons should consider Abyssus. =)
  • Obviously you'll want a ton of evasion, life, resistances, and etc. Having unique items puts a lot of stress on what chest armor you have.

Bandit Rewards:
  • Normal: Oak for +40 base maximum life.
  • Cruel: Oak for +18% increased physical damage or kill all to get another life node on the tree.
  • Merciless: Kraityn for +1 maximum Frenzy Charges.
same name in-game
"
iao wrote:
Hey guys, sorry for the lack of an update! I didn't think this would ever be responded to again. =p

The build is now better as a Duelist with this tree. You'll want to focus on evasion, but don't take Acrobatics-- this is so you can still use Granite Flasks effectively. Okay, maybe you can get Acrobatics, but it depends on what you want to sacrifice for it.

Eldritch Battery is not needed, as grabbing the two Mana Flows and Mind Drinker is sufficient.

At the moment I'd go with the following gem setup (supports ordered by importance):

• Frenzy + Lesser/Greater Multiple Projectiles + Power Charge on Critical + Life Gain on Hit + Increased Critical Damage + Pierce or Added Fire Damage or Blind
  • Frenzy + Power Charge on Critical + Increased Critical Damage + Added Fire Damage
  • Grace + Purity + Hatred + Reduced Mana
  • Projectile Weakness + Critical Weakness + Temporal Chains + Enfeeble
  • Bear Trap + Added Fire Damage + Culling Strike
  • Vitality + Reduced Mana

Well I'm not sure about that last one, but it might be viable. Without mana on gear, and considering how much mana you'd have at level 90 with Intelligence requirements met, you'll have at least 912 mana. Oh and of course, get the highest quality Frenzy gems you can because the bonus is massive.

Notable gear choices:
  • Darkray Vectors helped this build out a good amount. The extra maximum Frenzy Charge is great, and at 8 of them you get 16% chance to dodge attacks (probably a great reason to get Acrobatics, hmmm...).
  • Alpha's Howl is awesome. Put your linked up auras in this for, well, obvious reasons. Good thing it's pure evasion! Starkonja's Head is a competent alternative.
  • Mana leech on gear is imperative, as Frenzy has quite the ridiculous mana cost.
  • Accuracy Rating is very helpful. You want to hit your enemies, don't you? I mean sure, you have a ton of Dexterity and 16% increased accuracy rating, but it's likely not enough.
  • Added physical damage from gear is extremely helpful, as wands have such little base physical damage in the first place. Glass cannons should consider Abyssus. =)
  • Obviously you'll want a ton of evasion, life, resistances, and etc. Having unique items puts a lot of stress on what chest armor you have.

Bandit Rewards:
  • Normal: Oak for +40 base maximum life.
  • Cruel: Oak for +18% increased physical damage or kill all to get another life node on the tree.
  • Merciless: Kraityn for +1 maximum Frenzy Charges.

Ok, to give you an idea about how much phys damage you need to do a phys build.
I have +504% physical damage from tree/skills/gear on my wander.

This is my wand.

With +504% physical damage and Power siphon's inherent 125% damage effectiveness, I get 224-425 phys damage on my lmp chain. You're getting about 140% with frenzy and the 3 damage nodes. Also you're using frenzy which only gives a 110% damage effectiveness and only for phys.

I do 324 avg phys/hit.

you'd do less than 70 average phys/hit. That's tiny. Also you'd be attacking so fast that there's no way you could sustain the mana cost. 5 attacks/second with a lmp chain frenzy = 400mana/second

Not even eldritch battery builds can sustain that. Even with mana leech and 1k mana, you'd only be getting back 125mana/second. Not even half of what's needed to sustain your attack.

Side note: items which give x-x phys are NOT affected by phys damage. For example, if I get 40-60 damage, nodes on the tree that say "phys with wands/other weapon" or something like that don't affect that damage.

Finally, you get point blank, as a wander. That's a terrible idea. LMP chain inherenty screws that mechanic up.
IGN: TsuruyaNyro
I'm not using Chain, even though Point Blank is bugged with it and reassesses the distance between after each bounce. Having a high enough attack speed and some Pierce removes the need for Chain. Also, I like Point Blank a lot. With practice it's easy to make good use of it. Keep in mind the block, dodge, and evasion chances and that I can knock enemies back with Projectile Weakness. There's also Frost Wall, Freeze Mine, etc.

So let's take a look at the damage your wand would do in this build (considering if you have two, since this is a dual wielding build).

93-175, an average of 134 physical damage. +80% increased physical damage at 8 Frenzy Charges, +40% from the tree, 30% from Lesser Multiple Projectiles at level 16, so +150% altogether. That brings the average damage to 335. Frenzy bumps that to 368.5. Point Blank's bonus brings it to 552.75. Lesser Multiple Projectiles then brings it down to an average of 386 (rounded down from 386.925) per projectile.

Now let's take into account critical strikes. There's +235% increased critical strike chance from the tree and +200% from the 4 Power Charges, so +435% altogether. With your wand that'd bring you to 55.64% chance.

There's the 80% critical strike multiplier from the tree and +102% from Increased Critical Damage at level 16, so +182% altogether. That brings you to 423% critical strike multiplier; apply it to the average damage and you get 1632 (from 1632.78) damage. Apply a level 16 Added Fire Damage and you get 571 (from 571.2) Fire damage, and a level 16 Hatred for 375 (from 375.36), bringing you to 2578 damage per critical strike hit. When you're performing a critical strike more than half the time, that's pretty damn good.

Now let's find out how many attacks per second you'd have. +70% increased attack speed from the tree, +176% from a level 16 Frenzy with 20% quality and 8 Frenzy Charges, so +246% overall. That brings you to 4.498 attacks per second, and then 4.9478 with the dual wielding speed bonus, so pretty much 5 attacks per second.

The mana cost of Frenzy is tough, but I overcame it in Closed Beta with the previous iteration of this build and I think it's doable now. If anything it may be a good idea to use Thief's Torment for the Mana Gain on Hit, which would likely solve the problem completely. With it I could even remove Life Gain on Hit from the links and use Pierce to ensure 100% Pierce with Projectile Weakness and a good amount with Critical Weakness. With the links stated it'd be 55 mana cost for Frenzy, so 275 per second considering attack speed.

That's probably the main problem in this case, and I'll try to find an option available other than having to use Thief's Torment. There is the obvious-though-neglected Mana flasks, which can definitely fit in this build considering the taking of Alchemist, you'd just probably need two of them with the exact amount and duration needed. I have a level 45 character using this build in Anarchy so when I take time off my Onslaught character I'll try to level him up to do some more testing.

I don't think this build is any better than the other wand builds, it's just an alternative. I like making unique builds more than I like playing the crazy ones.
same name in-game
"
iao wrote:
I'm not using Chain, even though Point Blank is bugged with it and reassesses the distance between after each bounce. Having a high enough attack speed and some Pierce removes the need for Chain. Also, I like Point Blank a lot. With practice it's easy to make good use of it. Keep in mind the block, dodge, and evasion chances and that I can knock enemies back with Projectile Weakness. There's also Frost Wall, Freeze Mine, etc.

So let's take a look at the damage your wand would do in this build (considering if you have two, since this is a dual wielding build).

93-175, an average of 134 physical damage. +80% increased physical damage at 8 Frenzy Charges, +40% from the tree, 30% from Lesser Multiple Projectiles at level 16, so +150% altogether. That brings the average damage to 335. Frenzy bumps that to 368.5. Point Blank's bonus brings it to 552.75. Lesser Multiple Projectiles then brings it down to an average of 386 (rounded down from 386.925) per projectile.

Now let's take into account critical strikes. There's +235% increased critical strike chance from the tree and +200% from the 4 Power Charges, so +435% altogether. With your wand that'd bring you to 55.64% chance.

There's the 80% critical strike multiplier from the tree and +102% from Increased Critical Damage at level 16, so +182% altogether. That brings you to 423% critical strike multiplier; apply it to the average damage and you get 1632 (from 1632.78) damage. Apply a level 16 Added Fire Damage and you get 571 (from 571.2) Fire damage, and a level 16 Hatred for 375 (from 375.36), bringing you to 2578 damage per critical strike hit. When you're performing a critical strike more than half the time, that's pretty damn good.

Now let's find out how many attacks per second you'd have. +70% increased attack speed from the tree, +176% from a level 16 Frenzy with 20% quality and 8 Frenzy Charges, so +246% overall. That brings you to 4.498 attacks per second, and then 4.9478 with the dual wielding speed bonus, so pretty much 5 attacks per second.

The mana cost of Frenzy is tough, but I overcame it in Closed Beta with the previous iteration of this build and I think it's doable now. If anything it may be a good idea to use Thief's Torment for the Mana Gain on Hit, which would likely solve the problem completely. With it I could even remove Life Gain on Hit from the links and use Pierce to ensure 100% Pierce with Projectile Weakness and a good amount with Critical Weakness. With the links stated it'd be 55 mana cost for Frenzy, so 275 per second considering attack speed.

That's probably the main problem in this case, and I'll try to find an option available other than having to use Thief's Torment. There is the obvious-though-neglected Mana flasks, which can definitely fit in this build considering the taking of Alchemist, you'd just probably need two of them with the exact amount and duration needed. I have a level 45 character using this build in Anarchy so when I take time off my Onslaught character I'll try to level him up to do some more testing.

I don't think this build is any better than the other wand builds, it's just an alternative. I like making unique builds more than I like playing the crazy ones.

"bringing you to 2578 damage per critical strike hit"
That's a tiny, tiny amount. That's 1700 damage/hit without point blank bonus, and it scales down ridiculously fast. To put it into perspective, I do 1/4 of a LMP-Chain-CritDam-Siphon-Added fire link crit at your highest damage. With 450% mult.
1. Chain no longer reroll's distance, so point blank really sucks with it now.
2. Pierce + Point blank = dead ineffective wander. You're literally going to do near no damage from far away, so there's no point to using pierce in the first place, and getting close to mobs completely negates the point of being ranged. (Being that you're going to get stunned and die). Finally, WHY WOULD YOU WANT TO KNOCK BACK TARGETS WHEN YOU DO MORE DAMAGE WHEN THEY'RE NEAR YOU????
3. You have like 0 accuracy if you use a thief's torment, and if you don't use a theif's torment, you're going to have huge mana issues.
4. It's incredibly hard to maintain mana flasks in groups. Even if you have 2 surgeons of xxx you'd also need life flasks/granite flasks/quicksliver flasks.
5. Why did you skip IR/US???!?!?!?!?
IGN: TsuruyaNyro
Lol, calm down brah. By the way, what's your attack speed?

1. And this build doesn't use it.
2. What can I say? It's not ineffective from how I play. The Point Blank damage lessening is very gradual by distance, by the way. You'd want to knock enemies back because they're approaching you, and it's not even by much anyways.
3. I wasn't having mana problems in Closed Beta, though I haven't gotten beyond a 4L right now with the current iteration. I don't ever expect to get a 6L anyways. I'll make changes, though.
4. True. I mainly play slowly but obviously this should be usable in parties as well, so I'll make changes.
5. I thought it might be interesting to try an evasion character, but with the current iteration of lessening enemies' chance to hit it takes too much investment.

What do you think of this iteration of the tree? This is much closer to the original version of the build. In my opinion Unwavering Stance really isn't needed.
same name in-game
I like this idea. I like the machine gun fire effect. Yeah sure the DPS will go down on high armor enemies, but not everyone needs a 75K dps build, and many of us won't ever have the items to achieve it anyway. I totally understand the need to knock back as a survival tactic, and the enemies move right back to you, so the loss of dps from it is probably minimal, and it's not as if it's melee range = double damage, 1 unit away from melee = 0 damage.

Great idea, no, no awesome non-cookie cutter idea
I can see your / Back is turned and / If I could I'd / Stick my knife in.
Crawl Away, TOOL

Don't get hacked. Make a new email for your account and use a long password.
To creator of this build. Please refresh this one, because after new patch i cant made right choise for passive skills, so i need your help.
This guide is very old, and I don't know how current physical wanders tick. Sorry, you're better off looking elsewhere.
same name in-game

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info