A question on Lightning Strike

"
narthagass wrote:
Well I watched the projectiles very closely now and I'm 99% sure that one of them allways hits the target that also receives the main hit. When you support Lightning Strike with a Fork Gem there will also instantly be one projectile that forks (you will see 4 instead of 2 or 3 projectiles flying away behind the main target).
I've confirmed that this has stopped working as a part of changes made to the skill recently. Working on a fix now.
UPDATE: Fixed for a future patch
Mark, your wording was a bit unclear. Do you mean that it will no longer be possible to hit a target with both the melee hit and projectile at the same time?
Alteration Orb Union Local #7
"Holding the line, on sixteen to one!"
Ya I think he means that he's working on a fix to make sure that it will no longer be possible to hit a target with both the melee hit and projectile at the same time whereas before it was possible but was not intended
Build of the Week 14
The first Righteous Fire/Non-Shavronne's/Shavronne's HC
Shameless self-proclaimed theory-crafting extraordinaire and forum crusader
That would be a huge nerf to users that use lightning strike as a non-ranged melee attack, likely also a huge nerf to Fidelitas. I'm really fond of lightning strike and using it as a melee attack, this would ruin it for me.
"
Flab wrote:
That would be a huge nerf to users that use lightning strike as a non-ranged melee attack, likely also a huge nerf to Fidelitas. I'm really fond of lightning strike and using it as a melee attack, this would ruin it for me.

Yeah, will be a big nerf unfortunately. I already switched to other spells. The earlier to depart from Lightning Strike as your single target attack the better, I thought.

I'm sorry to be the guy that pointed the devs at it, but well, if it's not intended, it's not intended.
Yeah I always thought that the projectile and the melee attack being able to hit the same target was intentional, pretty much the only saving grace of this as a semi-functional AOE melee skill (running up to things, whacking one main target with decent damage and still hitting some other monsters around the target), which will now be relegated to basically a pure ranged attack.

Down to cleave and ground slam.
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
"
narthagass wrote:
When I use Lightning Strike on a target there will almost allways only be shooting 2 projectiles rather than 3. Does that mean that one of the projectiles also hits the target I clicked on and the total damage done to the target is the hit + 1x projectile dmg?
That should be impossible - the lightning strike projectiles explicitly cannot hit the same target as the melee attack.

It is possible to click the ground at melee range and hit nothing but still fire three projectiles, one of which hits the intended recipient of the melee. I've tried many times, and that occasionally is the cause. Especially if you're spamming mouse buttons as if that'd get you to your wedding on time.

Maybe something to consider?
Last edited by Crossflip on Nov 22, 2012, 10:40:01 AM
Oh, I understand now why Fidelitas and the boss in the Dungeon Map can be such pain in the arse...

This fix is very welcome.

I'm sure I wouldn't say the same thing if I was using lightning strike though...
Shadow : Covenant Pulser (504561)
Ranger : 12 charges Frenzy Archer (65154), Dual Claws Elemental ST (709126)
Witch : Self-Cast Arc Tanky Witch (770185), AoF EK/Bear trap (863970)
Templar : Frenzy + AB/Fireball "Cast on Crit" Wander (611200)
Marauder : Death Oath Staff User (498864)
"
VoxelSquid wrote:
Mark, your wording was a bit unclear. Do you mean that it will no longer be possible to hit a target with both the melee hit and projectile at the same time?
Yes. That was never supposed to be possible, and did not used to occur - it's a recently-introduced bug I wasn't aware of, which has now been fixed (for 0.10.0 if not sooner).
"
Flab wrote:
This is how Lightning Strike worked when it was created, and what it was balanced around. It's only some quite recent changes which had an unintended side effect of making the skill behave wrong.
Lightning Strike has worked by not letting any projectiles hit the melee target for almost all the time it's been in the game, I just fixed a recently-introduced bug that broke that behaviour.
Last edited by Mark_GGG on Nov 22, 2012, 5:54:41 PM
Well, I clearly misunderstood intentions of the skill, I always wondered why projectiles would seemingly ignore or pierce the melee target (without quality) until recently, and then I thought it finally got fixed, go figure.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info