A question on Lightning Strike

Hi.

When I use Lightning Strike on a target there will almost allways only be shooting 2 projectiles rather than 3. Does that mean that one of the projectiles also hits the target I clicked on and the total damage done to the target is the hit + 1x projectile dmg?

Thanks in advance!
"
narthagass wrote:
Hi.

When I use Lightning Strike on a target there will almost allways only be shooting 2 projectiles rather than 3. Does that mean that one of the projectiles also hits the target I clicked on and the total damage done to the target is the hit + 1x projectile dmg?

Thanks in advance!

Yes
Build of the Week 14
The first Righteous Fire/Non-Shavronne's/Shavronne's HC
Shameless self-proclaimed theory-crafting extraordinaire and forum crusader
Thanks!

Another thing, that has come to my mind: Does Iron Grip work with the Projectiles of Lightning Strike?
Thats a good question, if you go by the wording Iron Grip effects "Projectile attacks". Lightning Strike is by no means a spell so in Theory it would work but never tested it. But at the same time the Lightning Stike projectiles are already benefiting from strength so I don't know if it would stack.
Last edited by Lionguild on Nov 21, 2012, 7:52:48 PM
I don't have a link to the quote, but mark told us recently that iron grip will in fact work with LS.
Let a man walk alone -
Let him commit no sin.
Let him bear few wishes,
Like an elephant in the forest.
"
narthagass wrote:
That should be impossible - the lightning strike projectiles explicitly cannot hit the same target as the melee attack. If there were other monsters, chests or terrain items near you it may have hit those? I'll investigate.
"
Lionguild wrote:
Thats a good question, if you go by the wording Iron Grip effects "Projectile attacks". Lightning Strike is by no means a spell so in Theory it would work but never tested it.
It does.
"
Lionguild wrote:
But at the same time the Lightning Stike projectiles are already benefiting from strength
No, they aren't. The basic strength bonus applies only to melee damage, and projectiles are never melee. It applies only to the melee attack part of Lightning Strike.
Iron Grip changes it to affect melee or projectile damage, thus it then affects both parts of the skill.
Well I watched the projectiles very closely now and I'm 99% sure that one of them allways hits the target that also receives the main hit. When you support Lightning Strike with a Fork Gem there will also instantly be one projectile that forks (you will see 4 instead of 2 or 3 projectiles flying away behind the main target).

Regarding the damage bonus of strength not affecting the projectiles: I'm confused now. So how exactly is the damage of the projectiles being calculated then? Until now I thought each projectile deals the same amount as the converted lightning portion (influenced among a lot of other things by the Strength damage bonus before the conversion) of the main hit does, minus the built in 30% penalty.
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
"
Lionguild wrote:
But at the same time the Lightning Stike projectiles are already benefiting from strength
No, they aren't. The basic strength bonus applies only to melee damage, and projectiles are never melee. It applies only to the melee attack part of Lightning Strike.
Iron Grip changes it to affect melee or projectile damage, thus it then affects both parts of the skill.

Ok I see what you are saying, the projectile it self is not effected by strength without irongrip. I was thinking that since the projectile damage is based off your melee damage, you can see where my logic came from. Thanks for the clarification though.
"
narthagass wrote:
Regarding the damage bonus of strength not affecting the projectiles: I'm confused now. So how exactly is the damage of the projectiles being calculated then? Until now I thought each projectile deals the same amount as the converted lightning portion (influenced among a lot of other things by the Strength damage bonus before the conversion) of the main hit does, minus the built in 30% penalty.
The projectile damage has nothing to do with the portion of damage converted to lighting.
Both the melee swing and the projectiles deal your weapon damage, but different modifiers apply to each - the melee hit is affected by melee damage modifiers, and the projectiles are not, whereas the projectile damage is affected by projectile damage modifiers, where the melee damage is not.
Both deal the full weapon damage, affected by the appropriate modifiers - including the physical part and the part converted to lightning.
Ah! Okay, thanks for the clarification.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info