[1.2] Wurpo's quill rain + cast on crit build (aka stress test build) with videos

"
running the same build ' With ARC ' in a 5L chest and a 4L bow ' not using quil rain ' and its working out flawlessly. starting to work more on the crit nodes in the skill tree but more often then not ' im level 58 ' i crit every other LA and when i do crit everything melts including rare boss packs etc. i can see now why a 6L is so needed though, i dont think Voll's is 100% needed same with a 6L quill, i honestly think you can bypass quill entirely if you cant afford it. hell im doing it with a rare.
anyways thanks a bunch for the build man its amazing and really fun


Without voll's keeping up power charges can be quite a chore, and the extra crit you get from them is pretty high.

It's possible to not use it though, yeah.


"
Anfiza wrote:
I am currently leveling a Shadow with a really similar build (I can't get some Scion's nodes)

I really don't have a decent gear (Voll and a 2nd Quillrain still in my bank, trying to get a 6L, only a 4L quillrain equiped) but it's starting to get real fun.

I currently use split arrow + cast on crit + chain + arc because lightning arrow is too expensive without Thief's torment (hard to find one I can afford ~1,5ex) and explosive arrow as a mono target skill. It works pretty well but it's really hard to manage my mana at this time (3 potions equiped and that's not enough)

I'm sure thief's torment will solve almost all my problems.

Thanks for your awesome build !


Yeah, thief's torment is the only way to support the mana cost. I was using blood magic before I got it, but it's a massive skill point investment that is costly to undo.
will th is build work if i start witch and on nemesis? or is the survivability a problem

nevermind i just noticed how evasive heavy this is, wont fly in nemesis any idea on a modification with iron reflexes?
Last edited by lunarcash on November 17, 2013 5:23 AM
"
lunarcash wrote:
will th is build work if i start witch and on nemesis? or is the survivability a problem

nevermind i just noticed how evasive heavy this is, wont fly in nemesis any idea on a modification with iron reflexes?


lol
Does anyone have any levelling tips for this build? I'm at 21 and feel like I'm levelling a bit slower than I should be.
"
neurotech wrote:
Does anyone have any levelling tips for this build? I'm at 21 and feel like I'm levelling a bit slower than I should be.


Join public groups, leveling this build is not easy.
question about cold snap and power charges:

say you have 4 max power charges, and are critting. Will the power charges be filled up before, after or during the cold snap trigger?
So, if you have 0 Charges right now, and cold snap is on cooldown, can it trigger?
And if you have 4 Charges right now, and trigger cold snap 4 times (all non-criticals), how many charges do you have in the end?
And the most important question: can cold snap trigger at maximum the number of times you have power charges (+1 if off cooldown), or can it get it's own charges? Or is even only one power charge spent for all the triggers (or can it even only trigger twice)?


I used Firestorm as a test, and it triggered massively, while cold snap seemed to trigger less.
Build looks really nice and viable for endgame. Not cheap indeed but in my opinion buying required items allows you to play happily without thinking of upgrading too much. I gathered all 3 items for 14 ex. Now I only need to level my lady.
Really appreciate your concept Wurpo!
IGN: Cesare__Borgia & LittleSheila
MY SHOP: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/710889
Last edited by HeyterVic on November 18, 2013 6:11 PM
"
Allirion wrote:
question about cold snap and power charges:

say you have 4 max power charges, and are critting. Will the power charges be filled up before, after or during the cold snap trigger?
So, if you have 0 Charges right now, and cold snap is on cooldown, can it trigger?
And if you have 4 Charges right now, and trigger cold snap 4 times (all non-criticals), how many charges do you have in the end?
And the most important question: can cold snap trigger at maximum the number of times you have power charges (+1 if off cooldown), or can it get it's own charges? Or is even only one power charge spent for all the triggers (or can it even only trigger twice)?


I used Firestorm as a test, and it triggered massively, while cold snap seemed to trigger less.


Firestorm's effect is just more obvious, it's hard to tell when cold snap is stacking on itself in comparison.

Due to how cast on crit and voll's work, you will maintain max power charges with one cold snap gem in place. If you look at your character sheet you'll notice despite the power charge indicator going crazy, your crit chance doesn't actually spike.

If you put in two cold snap gems you'll notice you actually spike up and down in your crit chance because it can't properly support two cold snap gems (it does partially support it though, but you don't get full use out of both)
thanks for the reply :) i noticed sometimes that the crit-counter goes crazy (shows 0 charges with a timer), thanks for clarifying the actual character stats (although english isn't my first language - it doesn't spike means it won't reach maximum, but won't change too much?)

One question still remains, and that's why i tested with the very obvious firestorm. I tried to count the appearances, and firestorm triggered like crazy (without LMP/GMP the lightning arrow hits 3 guys 3 times, so 9 possible triggers). I know the cold snap animation isn't too obvious, but even when watching closely it seemed to trigger less per hit.
It is not very obvious when you shoot 5 times per second, but since i use a crit-bow (i can't pay the mana cost of quill rain yet, tested that as well - can't afford a thief yet) it sticks out. So i would love if you helped testing or if you could otherwise confirm the truth - my theory is that you can trigger at maximum 1 time per power charge + 1 if it's not on cooldown (in my case 4-5 times, since i took the frenzy charge). But it could be completely different as well.
Perhaps i'll buy the cold snap hand animation just to verify this :D
"
HeyterVic wrote:
I gathered all 3 items for 14 ex.


Wow, that's a lot ! I hope you got 5 or 6L for that price.

A friend dropped a Quillrain and I bought a 2nd for 5alch, I dropped a Voll's protector and just bought a 2nd for 1chaos (that's a great deal !). Only Thief's torment cost me way much, a bit less than 3ex.

I only have a 4L quillrain and voll's, and work on a 6L on both extra uniques.


Since I got the ring it became really enjoyable, no more mana troubles !

I will probably make a video in french in a few days/weeks about your build Wurps.
Last edited by Anfiza on November 19, 2013 2:00 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info