[1.1.0] Wurpo's quill rain + cast on crit build (aka stress test build) with videos

Hey man.

Why only level 1 Lightning Arrow?
"
Limited505 wrote:
Hey man.

Why only level 1 Lightning Arrow?


To save mana... the damage doesn't come from LA. LA is just being used as AOE attack that hits targets multiple times. And if it crits, then Arc comes in and makes the kill.
First of all, gratz for the nice build, it looks plain fun a realy wish i have the currencies to use it one day.
Besides this, i was wondering why in the leveling section you say tp use cold snap and not arc in a 5 link item. Isn't arc better than cold snap for this build ?
"
Completed 1 Challengehyper_ch wrote:
"
Limited505 wrote:
Hey man.

Why only level 1 Lightning Arrow?


To save mana... the damage doesn't come from LA. LA is just being used as AOE attack that hits targets multiple times. And if it crits, then Arc comes in and makes the kill.


True, but a level 1 lightning arrow cost 12 mana. A level 20 lightning arrow cost 15. Is it really viable to lose out on a little bit of damage for 3 mana?

Also I have a surgeons mana flask on which guarantees I have max mana at all times.
"
Limited505 wrote:
"
Completed 1 Challengehyper_ch wrote:
"
Limited505 wrote:
Hey man.

Why only level 1 Lightning Arrow?


To save mana... the damage doesn't come from LA. LA is just being used as AOE attack that hits targets multiple times. And if it crits, then Arc comes in and makes the kill.


True, but a level 1 lightning arrow cost 12 mana. A level 20 lightning arrow cost 15. Is it really viable to lose out on a little bit of damage for 3 mana?

Also I have a surgeons mana flask on which guarantees I have max mana at all times.


With his relatively mana-hungry support gems (GMP, Chain, and Cast on Crit) it turns out to be a lot more than just a 3 mana difference.

lvl 1 lightning arrow with gmp (200% mana mult), chain(200%) and cast on crit(140%) is 12 mana x 3.4 = 41 mana
with lvl 20 LA: 15 x 3.4 = 51 mana.

So it's actually making LA cost 10 more mana, and when you are attacking about 4 times per second (quill rain with some attack speed), that's over 40 mana/sec more mana used with a lvl 20 LA vs lvl 1 LA, and what do you gain? Projectile damage, which basically adds no damage to this build because all the damage is coming from arc and cold snap or other spells proc'd by the crits.
Last edited by KingDonko on November 15, 2013 7:59 PM
"
Mykeul33 wrote:
First of all, gratz for the nice build, it looks plain fun a realy wish i have the currencies to use it one day.
Besides this, i was wondering why in the leveling section you say tp use cold snap and not arc in a 5 link item. Isn't arc better than cold snap for this build ?


Both will work, but I prefer cold snap while leveling because it will freeze everything and prevent deaths, if you can make arc work without dying, go for it.
Can you upload a couple new vids? would like to see some ice-spear action and maybe some harder bosses/higher maps
Last edited by Posewicht on November 16, 2013 11:21 AM
I am currently leveling a Shadow with a really similar build (I can't get some Scion's nodes)

I really don't have a decent gear (Voll and a 2nd Quillrain still in my bank, trying to get a 6L, only a 4L quillrain equiped) but it's starting to get real fun.

I currently use split arrow + cast on crit + chain + arc because lightning arrow is too expensive without Thief's torment (hard to find one I can afford ~1,5ex) and explosive arrow as a mono target skill. It works pretty well but it's really hard to manage my mana at this time (3 potions equiped and that's not enough)

I'm sure thief's torment will solve almost all my problems.

Thanks for your awesome build !
running the same build ' With ARC ' in a 5L chest and a 4L bow ' not using quil rain ' and its working out flawlessly. starting to work more on the crit nodes in the skill tree but more often then not ' im level 58 ' i crit every other LA and when i do crit everything melts including rare boss packs etc. i can see now why a 6L is so needed though, i dont think Voll's is 100% needed same with a 6L quill, i honestly think you can bypass quill entirely if you cant afford it. hell im doing it with a rare.
anyways thanks a bunch for the build man its amazing and really fun
Looks great, thanks for sharing!
IGN: Scordalia_

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info