[1.1.0] Wurpo's quill rain + cast on crit build (aka stress test build) with videos

[UPDATED FOR SoTV EXPANSION]

v- READ THIS -v
Disclaimer: This build is pretty expensive, it's not recommended to make this as a first character on a league. Additionally, while the jump from 5 to 6 link for most builds is only a small increase, the difference between 5 and 6 link for this build is double the power, or inversely only having a 5 link will be half the power.

Oh, and this build causes some lag. Don't do it if your computer is a potato. I also do not recommend using custom skill effects like the grasp cold snap, it only makes it more laggy.

Videos
Spoiler

Piety kill in 5 seconds with barrage: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKP7w3JGPvU (could be faster) (this is with pre-buff barrage as well)

(old videos)
In a 73 map (with barrage): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wioOtnkcecc
In a 73 map (before barrage came out): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OimKHWqA960

The Build
Spoiler

[Build updated for SoTV]

The build

The build basically can't be used as a cast on crit build until at least 60, but preferably 70. Level with spectral throw or something until then.

Required Uniques
Spoiler
Quill Rain
Thief's Torment
Voll's Protector

Optional: Voll's Devotion amulet (nice for build, but not obtainable in domination league

Gems+Links
Spoiler

Split Arrow + Chain + Cast on Critical + Arc + Cold Snap + Ethereal Knives
OR if you don't want to use physical damage at all:
Split Arrow + Chain + Cast on Critical + GMP + Arc + Cold Snap

Barrage + Cast on Critical + GMP + Fireball + Arctic Breath + Concentrated Effect
(the idea here is to stand close to them and shotgun them with all 10 projectiles, doing massive damage, it's pretty safe if you also use the blind knockback flame totem)

Critical weakness somewhere alone in a slot

Grace somewhere, probably with reduced mana

To help with physical damage or reflect from EK (if you use it):
Cast when damage taken + Enduring cry + Enduring cry + Immortal call

Overall you need a GGGBBB and a GGGGBB, it doesn't matter which is which for your quill/voll's, the voll's will be INCREDIBLY hard to color correctly, so whichever one you get first make the quill rain the other one.

If you only have a 5L voll's, use barrage + cast on crit + gmp + fireball + arctic breath (it's nowhere near as good as the 6L version though)

If you only have a 5L quill rain, use either arc or eth knives as the spell

Highly recommended optional skill setup:
Flame Totem + GMP + Knockback + Blind

This will allow you to push rare mobs and bosses against walls and lock them there while also blinding them, INCREDIBLY useful, as this will also allow you to shoot the wall with lightning arrow and hit the boss with all 5 of them, doing more damage than the single target might do.

My gear
Spoiler

Leveling
Spoiler
This build can be a bit of a pain to level. I was just using whatever gems I found honestly, I used spectral throw most of the way and went to public groups as opposed to soloing.

Once you get a bunch of the crit nodes you can begin to transition over to actually playing the build like a cast on crit build, I doubt this can happen before 60.

Notes/Tips (read these):
1. Split arrow gets the most extra projectiles at level 17, but keep leveling it to make it 20% quality.
2. Get surgeon flasks, you'll get about 20 charges per crit on a big pack, and can refill them steadily with single target frenzy procs
3. Recommended flasks: Similar to what's in the video, 1 healing, 1 jade, 1 quicksilver (optional), 1 mana, 1 diamond all surgeon except for diamond which cannot get surgeon
4. For bandits, help oak for the +40 HP, kill all 3 in cruel, and help alira in merc for the power charge
5. You will need to cap your resists without the usage of rings or a chest due to the specific required uniques of this build, so shoot for life and at least two different resists on your other pieces of gear, if not more.
6. When using cold snap you'll notice that your power charge indicator spikes up and down, it's a visual bug and it isn't actually lowering the crit, you'll remain at full power charge crit level.

My character sheet tabs in case anyone wants to know.
http://i.imgur.com/VxXUIU3.jpg (this is a bit old now)

Last edited by Wurps on March 13, 2014 5:18 PM
Hey i thought about a similar build in this forum. But with advice of some people, i am trying to convert it to power siphon build with cast on critical of course.

Well i was thinking about near same gems for 6L except i will think about icespear. Your are shooting at ranged, so the second form of icespear if very interesting to up the dps here and freeze everything.

Why playing life build ? You take nodes around witch and shadow, with plenty of ES. I think i will try this build too but with this talent tree (and only quillrain as a mendatory unique):

If you put two spells on cast on critical, when you crit i suppose the two spells are triggering ? Intersting thing...

Hope this will help you, feel free to critisize too and talk about this idea i really like.

Mono: ice shot(or frenzy or explosive arrow) + life leech (or life gain on hit) + cast on critical strike + arc + ice spear + artic breath

or why not for crazy dmg:

ice shot + cast on crit + ice spear + ice spear + ice spear + ice spear (if it can cast multiple time the same skill don't know...if not wil replace it by: Cold snap + ice spear + artic breath + arc)
Last edited by Garvil on November 1, 2013 11:59 AM
"
Garvil wrote:

Why playing life build ? You take nodes around witch and shadow, with plenty of ES. I think i will try this build too but with this talent tree (and only quillrain as a mendatory unique):

Using ES would waste how much life on hit I get with this build, it's pretty insane actually. As long as I don't get one-shot I don't die due to thief's torment.
well can do it with ghost reaver, but why not...And for the other questions ? :)
Delicious build! I might try it out if I get a 5-6L Quill Rain. Or I can do it in Standard, where I have those things.
IGN: CantripN / Magic_Missile_Mage / Elemental_Storm

My Guide to EK: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/545446
My Guide to Cold Snap: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/858444
1300 life is scary. Looks cool though.
88% allres 53k armor coc discharger http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/562291
shitty shop http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/620730
"
Garvil wrote:
well can do it with ghost reaver, but why not...And for the other questions ? :)

Ghost reaver is life leech, not life on hit.

Ice shot is infinitely inferior to lightning arrow for this build.

I don't know what else you asked.

"
pabrt wrote:
1300 life is scary. Looks cool though.

Yeah, I haven't put in the life nodes on my actual character yet.
Last edited by Wurps on November 1, 2013 2:38 PM
Video and build updated/improved
Hi there,

i am running your build since i saw you in a public docks group. Pretty impressing and finally something to get back to my loved Quill Rain (was EA Marauder for a long time).

I dont have a 5/6L Quill yet, so i am running the 6L Setup in a Tabula Rasa, obviously i have no Voll's Protecotr then. I keep up with charges by using the Power Charge on Crit gem instead of Arc and Arctic Breath instead of Cold Snap (cant generate the Charges fast enough for Cold Snap).

My big problem is the Single Target Damage. You explained in your video that you use Frenzy with Cast on Crit , ConcEffect and Firestorm / Fireball. Can you do Piety for example with that setup? I think i will have to get my chance to hit up, since i can not manage to cast to firestorm constantly.

Anyway, ty for the idea, great and efficient fun and farm build :)
"
alesar wrote:
Hi there,

i am running your build since i saw you in a public docks group. Pretty impressing and finally something to get back to my loved Quill Rain (was EA Marauder for a long time).

I dont have a 5/6L Quill yet, so i am running the 6L Setup in a Tabula Rasa, obviously i have no Voll's Protecotr then. I keep up with charges by using the Power Charge on Crit gem instead of Arc and Arctic Breath instead of Cold Snap (cant generate the Charges fast enough for Cold Snap).

My big problem is the Single Target Damage. You explained in your video that you use Frenzy with Cast on Crit , ConcEffect and Firestorm / Fireball. Can you do Piety for example with that setup? I think i will have to get my chance to hit up, since i can not manage to cast to firestorm constantly.

Anyway, ty for the idea, great and efficient fun and farm build :)

:)

I've recently changed around what I use for my single target, instead using 3 ice spear gems.

I can do piety and dominus, but not as well as other builds can, I like to use cast on damage taken + portal to hop back and forth from town to spam diamond flasks.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info