[2.2] Wurpo's quill rain + cast on crit build (aka stress test build) [not scion anymore]

Ascendancy update
As you can probably imagine, this build is now an assassin (shadow). It's pretty crazy.

I'll just leave this post here, but I'm going to make a new thread in the shadow section.

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1607182

===============================================================================

IMPORTANT NOTE: This build doesn't really do anything until like 40ish after you get all of the crit nodes on the tree, you will have to level with a different skill until then. Grab a reverberation rod, slot in storm call/reduced duration/faster casting and you'll be good for a while

=========================================================================

Started using herald of thunder + herald of ice + arctic armor, works pretty nice so far.

Required uniques: Voll's protector, quill rain
You will also need thief's torment or elreon jewelry to support the mana costs, you can buy elreon rings or amulets from elreon once he's like level 3 or 4 or something, you'll need pretty decent rolls, they go up to -8 mana for abilities
Note: The +2 mana gained per attack jewels could probably sustain this build now that I'm using blast rain

Jewels:
Just get whatever you can, spell damage/area damage/cold damage/life% etc, you can get accuracy and global crit as well. Damage ones are probably best though.

My Gear
Spoiler

Videos
Spoiler

[2.0] Low/mid level demonstration: https://youtu.be/wcTFogo5Zi8

(old videos)
Piety kill in 5 seconds with barrage: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKP7w3JGPvU (could be faster) (this is with pre-buff barrage as well)
In a 73 map (with barrage [shotgunning has been patched since 2.0, this no longer works the same]): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wioOtnkcecc
In a 73 map (before barrage came out): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OimKHWqA960

The Build
Spoiler

http://exiletools.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAwYABAcEsQSzBUIGIwj0CaoN0Q5ID6sQWBEtES8Rlha_GYobrSBuJIsmlSlPKgsqOCsKLJwtHzLROlhBlkSrRUdFfEWdS1dMs1AwU1JVS1WuVcZXlF3yX7Bh4mNDakNrF2u3b55wUncHexR8g311f8aCEIKbg9uExYV9hxOJ04uMjDaPppUglwaXl5o7muCbtZykoaSiAKKjp9Sus7Q4u-O86sBUwGbAmsDjwfPDOsSiykrQH9D1037Vptn8217fsOFz4dvjhOUZ6-7tPO_r8B_xs_nd-_X-uv7I

Don't get vaal pact if you don't have life leech socketed

Required Uniques
Spoiler
Quill Rain
Thief's Torment (optional now, you could probably use elreon jewelry instead!)
Voll's Protector
Fertile Mind unique jewel (optional, but damn it gives a lot of int if you put it in the slot left of vaal pact, this lessens the burden int needs on your gear)

Optional: Voll's Devotion amulet

Maligaro's/Rat's nest can be used, but it becomes increasingly difficult to cap your resists. With the new base crit increase from the assassin ascendancy, the crit gets pretty crazy though.

As for the rest of your non-required gear, just get basic life stuff with tri-resist and maybe accuracy.

Gems+Links
Spoiler

[Main AoE clearing setup] Split Arrow (whatever level you can support the mana cost of) + Chain + Cast on Critical + Arc + Cold Snap + Life Leech (or another spell instead of life leech, if you opt for a third spell don't get vaal pact)

[Single target setup] Barrage (lvl 1) + Cast on Critical + GMP + Cold Snap + Concentrated Effect + Cold snap (6th)

[If you have voll's devotion amulet] CoDT + Immortal Call + Inc duration

Herald of Ice + Curse on Hit + Poacher's Mark + Innervate [gives you free frenzy charges and onslaught as you kill stuff, pretty sweet]

Herald of Thunder

Arctic armor

Bandits
Spoiler
N- Help Oak, C- Kill all, M- Help Alira

Leveling
Spoiler
I managed to use the build in 2.0 with a 5L quill rain cutting out the life leech at around level 40, leveling until then is whatever you want, maybe flame totem or something

Notes/Tips (read these):
1. You can keep your defensive flasks up ALL THE TIME with this build, and you definitely should, get used to hitting them often
2. Get ALL surgeon flasks (except diamond since you can't get surgeon on diamond), you'll get about 20 charges per crit on a big pack, and can refill them steadily with single target frenzy procs
3. Recommended flasks: Similar to what's in the video, 1 healing, 1 jade, 1 quicksilver (optional), 1 mana, 1 diamond all surgeon except for diamond which cannot get surgeon
4. For bandits, help oak for the +40 HP, kill all 3 in cruel, and help alira in merc for the power charge
6. When using cold snap you'll notice that your power charge indicator spikes up and down, it's a visual bug and it isn't actually lowering the crit, you'll remain at full power charge crit level. (This may be fixed, not sure)
Last edited by Wurps on Mar 8, 2016, 3:05:41 AM
Last bumped on Mar 8, 2016, 3:06:27 AM
Hey i thought about a similar build in this forum. But with advice of some people, i am trying to convert it to power siphon build with cast on critical of course.

Well i was thinking about near same gems for 6L except i will think about icespear. Your are shooting at ranged, so the second form of icespear if very interesting to up the dps here and freeze everything.

Why playing life build ? You take nodes around witch and shadow, with plenty of ES. I think i will try this build too but with this talent tree (and only quillrain as a mendatory unique):

If you put two spells on cast on critical, when you crit i suppose the two spells are triggering ? Intersting thing...

Hope this will help you, feel free to critisize too and talk about this idea i really like.

Mono: ice shot(or frenzy or explosive arrow) + life leech (or life gain on hit) + cast on critical strike + arc + ice spear + artic breath

or why not for crazy dmg:

ice shot + cast on crit + ice spear + ice spear + ice spear + ice spear (if it can cast multiple time the same skill don't know...if not wil replace it by: Cold snap + ice spear + artic breath + arc)
Last edited by Garvil on Nov 1, 2013, 7:59:02 AM
"
Garvil wrote:

Why playing life build ? You take nodes around witch and shadow, with plenty of ES. I think i will try this build too but with this talent tree (and only quillrain as a mendatory unique):

Using ES would waste how much life on hit I get with this build, it's pretty insane actually. As long as I don't get one-shot I don't die due to thief's torment.
well can do it with ghost reaver, but why not...And for the other questions ? :)
Delicious build! I might try it out if I get a 5-6L Quill Rain. Or I can do it in Standard, where I have those things.
[3.22] 💀The Grim Reaper💀 - Hexblast Poison Mines Assassin
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3347191

[3.22] ❄️⚡CantripN's Hadoken! - Lightning Conduit / Crackling Lance / Arc Permafreeze⚡❄️
www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3229590
1300 life is scary. Looks cool though.
"
Garvil wrote:
well can do it with ghost reaver, but why not...And for the other questions ? :)

Ghost reaver is life leech, not life on hit.

Ice shot is infinitely inferior to lightning arrow for this build.

I don't know what else you asked.

"
pabrt wrote:
1300 life is scary. Looks cool though.

Yeah, I haven't put in the life nodes on my actual character yet.
Last edited by Wurps on Nov 1, 2013, 10:38:39 AM
Video and build updated/improved
Hi there,

i am running your build since i saw you in a public docks group. Pretty impressing and finally something to get back to my loved Quill Rain (was EA Marauder for a long time).

I dont have a 5/6L Quill yet, so i am running the 6L Setup in a Tabula Rasa, obviously i have no Voll's Protecotr then. I keep up with charges by using the Power Charge on Crit gem instead of Arc and Arctic Breath instead of Cold Snap (cant generate the Charges fast enough for Cold Snap).

My big problem is the Single Target Damage. You explained in your video that you use Frenzy with Cast on Crit , ConcEffect and Firestorm / Fireball. Can you do Piety for example with that setup? I think i will have to get my chance to hit up, since i can not manage to cast to firestorm constantly.

Anyway, ty for the idea, great and efficient fun and farm build :)
"
alesar wrote:
Hi there,

i am running your build since i saw you in a public docks group. Pretty impressing and finally something to get back to my loved Quill Rain (was EA Marauder for a long time).

I dont have a 5/6L Quill yet, so i am running the 6L Setup in a Tabula Rasa, obviously i have no Voll's Protecotr then. I keep up with charges by using the Power Charge on Crit gem instead of Arc and Arctic Breath instead of Cold Snap (cant generate the Charges fast enough for Cold Snap).

My big problem is the Single Target Damage. You explained in your video that you use Frenzy with Cast on Crit , ConcEffect and Firestorm / Fireball. Can you do Piety for example with that setup? I think i will have to get my chance to hit up, since i can not manage to cast to firestorm constantly.

Anyway, ty for the idea, great and efficient fun and farm build :)

:)

I've recently changed around what I use for my single target, instead using 3 ice spear gems.

I can do piety and dominus, but not as well as other builds can, I like to use cast on damage taken + portal to hop back and forth from town to spam diamond flasks.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info