Oro's Ceaseless Discharger (Spectral Throw + Cast on Crit Discharge)

Interesting. this is really something to look at thanks :D
"
muffintop wrote:
"To deal with ele reflect packs I use another Spectral Throw with the Cast on Crit gem linked with Etheral Knives because it is a physical spell"

Am I missing something? Why not link faster projectiles, faster casting, critical damage to your EK? No need to cast it on crit.

Each target that is hit by spectral throw is hit multiple times (usually) and there can be multiple targets (with GMP/LMP), especially considering the natural 100% pierce chance. Each of those hits can crit, and thus proc EK (which also then gets the GMP/LMP). So against multiple enemies you will proc more EK per second this way than if you cast it - assuming your crit chance is high enough. You also don't have the mana cost of EK but the mana cost of Spectral Throw (which may or may not be an advantage).

Think of this setup as replicating something similar to multistrike but for spells - although it has the disadvantage of being dependent on crit chance and using two gems slots as opposed to one. You can get multiple charges per attack this way though (which is why discharge works so well with this), unlike multistrike (iirc).
Last edited by Aimeryan on Oct 31, 2013, 3:02:14 AM
"
muffintop wrote:
"To deal with ele reflect packs I use another Spectral Throw with the Cast on Crit gem linked with Etheral Knives because it is a physical spell"

Am I missing something? Why not link faster projectiles, faster casting, critical damage to your EK? No need to cast it on crit.

You have 0 cast speed and like 100 mana. You could do blood magic EK, but Spectral Throw with Cast on Crit melts stuff much faster on this build than a proper linked EK would.
Ah cool. I'm gonna try something like this guy out!
I've just hit 31 and I am trying out ST|GMP|CoCrit|Spell(currently Ice Spear) with Low Life. I am using Pain Attunement (from crown, but would only be a few points to get it from where I am in the tree anyway), plus two Red Beaks. I am using Blood Magic gem + Clarity to get to Low Life, and am using some Energy Shield gear to compensate. I also have a surgeon granite flask with resistances.

It is working very well, although I have to be a little cautious against fast magic mobs with a rare that surround me as it is difficult to cone aoe these. If I had a CoDT gem and the appropriate defensive options these would be an absolute breeze, so I'm going to see if I can get one. I will try to get a Voll's Protector so that I can transition to the thread's build, but this is decent intermediate I feel.

Edit; So I am now 36. Some areas I am starting to feel a little squishy - barracks with the arc mages for example. Some of the reason for this is that my energy shield is not really increasing due to not picking up energy shield nodes (since I wont be using these later with this build) and needing the gem slots means replacing some gear is tricky. That said, the arc mages ARE nasty in groups anyway. I am thinking this will only get worse due to the lack of scaling without energy shield nodes.

I am going to try get some good crit daggers and go back to just being full life. The dps will go down somewhat (the much greater crit chance proccing a lot more spells will hopefully compensate a fair bit), but the survivability should greatly increase. The Low Life did work very well through Act 2 and for a fair bit of Act 3, including docks. You could potentially play this playstyle as a Low Life build by investing more deeply into it (energy shield nodes, some specific uniques) but that would be changing a lot.
Last edited by Aimeryan on Nov 1, 2013, 1:56:38 AM
What other Auras are you using?
"
seradine wrote:
What other Auras are you using?

Asking me or the OP? :P

I just started using discipline and that is actually extending the use of the Low Life play - I killed Piety with zero deaths. The arc mages in the barracks were much more doable as well, but for added measure a topaz ring made them fairly trivial. I still think I'll have to drop the Low Life play eventually because of scaling issues. I would need to get either a LOT of chaos resist or get Shavronne's Wrappings (yeah, right), grab energy shield nodes (instead of life nodes) and focus on getting strong energy shield gear. Either way, pretty expensive which is the issue with Voll's Protector for me.

I am still hoping to get Voll's Protector, but I would love to find a good cheap way of making the build work without it. Probably can not do it as a discharge build without Voll's, but a Spectral Throw|GMP|CoCrit|Spell build with decent damage and survivability should be doable.

Regarding the Aura for the OP's build, Clarity would be great to help with the mana costs but you don't have that much mana - so it likely wouldn't be max level (or even close). Since the OP is using Eldritch Battery (energy shield to mana) it makes sense to use a high level Discipline aura - it will give you more maximum mana, which is countered by reserving a lot of it, but because more maximum mana increases the base mana regen it works well. Between the two your mana costs should be fine and can use flasks for other things (diamond flasks for example).
Last edited by Aimeryan on Nov 1, 2013, 8:00:44 AM
Why you use only level 1 gems for spectral throw? I dont understand that? Its the mana costs?
"
etw0 wrote:
Why you use only level 1 gems for spectral throw? I dont understand that? Its the mana costs?

Yes its beacause the mana, you need only the crit for the proc, not the dmg from ST.
I just got Clarity and the reserved mana gets high fast. At what gem level should i stop leveling it with this build?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info