Cold Penetration

"
soul4hdwn wrote:
it does both, or more correctly, whichever is more penalty on foe. the reduction adds with other reductions and if multiple reductions sum up to be more than what ignoring res does, then the reductions.

or at least that is how i was corrected. like 75% res cap mob has is now 35% with a lv 16 penetration support. but if a elemental curse plus this going on both of lv 16 (the curse is -45% to max res) that is 45 +40 = 85 less resistance. taking an guess that mobs have 100% res but still under the cap of 75%, res used is either 75 -40 =35% or 100 -85 =15%, so 15%.

however in case of a foe with 0 res already, it goes into negatives.

I agree this calculation works assuming the mobs restistance is positive. However, are you assuming that cold penetration dips into the negetive or are you assuming it? For instance I'll say a mob has 80% cold resistance for the sake of easy numbers not accuracy. If I use double curse, both a level 11 elemental reisstance and forstbite. The mobs cold resiastance is now 0 (80-40-40=0). Now if i use a cold spell with the support gem cold penetration, level 16(40% cold resistance PENETRATED) will the mob have -40% resistance or will there be no effect since there is no resistance to penetrate. Because the wording is different than the curses, I am not sure if functions in the same way. Hopefully a dev can clarify this or someone who has tested it.
that post is sorta old now considering i was explained penetration simply happens last. and that matches with what devs said about penetration can go into negatives with how you explained things as well via double curse.
"
soul4hdwn wrote:
that post is sorta old now considering i was explained penetration simply happens last. and that matches with what devs said about penetration can go into negatives with how you explained things as well via double curse.

yeah after i posted that I read the other threads for the different penetration support gems and devs had answered there. that seems insanely powerful... ill have to try it out.
"
wyoungb wrote:
Because the wording is different than the curses, I am not sure if functions in the same way.

They do not work the same way, but both can reduce resists into the negatives.
Resistance reduction simply substracts from the total %Resistance on the target.
Penetrate is a flat reduction to the *final* resistance the enemy has.

If you target a monster with 125% Resist with only Penetrate 40, the monster will has 75 - 40 = 35% Resists. The overstacked resistances are flat-out ignored.
If you first curse with with Frostbite and EW, at -40% a piece, the monster will have 125-40-40 = 45 resists. Then, Penetrate 40 is applied; 45 - 40 = 5% resist.
Does penetration work with auras?
auras don't deal damage, they boost attacks.
Does not work with auras, actually pretty sad. In the end makes sense to boost hatred with this gem.
"
Tlaloc4 wrote:
Does not work with auras, actually pretty sad. In the end makes sense to boost hatred with this gem.
you boost attacks with support gems and auras. auras can only be boosted by cost and size and via passives, effect.
you WILL boost hatred if you link an attack with cold penetration.
Hatred only effects you and your allies. I'm not sure why you'd want it to reduce Cold Resists.
Herald of Ice explode-effect will most likely benefit from cold penetration.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info