Mortal Conviction - Another Look

I think the entire thing needs to be reworked.

Changing the percentages won't fix it. It shouldn't be a primary aura notable. It's behind Blood Magic, it should be a primary blood magic notable.

It shouldn't allow aura-stacking and shouldn't work towards aura-stacking.

It should allow a single aura to be run with the same sacrifice mana users have ( read: basically none ).

It's purpose should be to support blood magic. It's purpose should not be to support auras.
My vision for a better PoE: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/863780
They could just do a node for a cost free aura guarded by blood magic, if that's OP put restrictions on what auras it can be. Or limit BM to the one free aura pierod.

If thats too OP then one aura restriction for 10% life, etc.. you get what i'm suggesting.
Last edited by Aldor_Peacekeeper on Nov 5, 2013, 7:00:53 PM
"
They could just do a node for a cost free aura guarded by blood magic, if that's OP put restrictions on what auras it can be. Or limit BM to the one free aura pierod.

If thats too OP then one aura restriction for 10% life, etc.. you get what i'm suggesting.

I like this, make it just set all auras reserved to 10% life, or make it so you're only able to run 1 aura at no reserve cost. Something like this so as BM you can at least use an aura without sacrificing all your HP.
IGN: StorminRH
Hi

I was thinking GGG could've set a max to players aura usage,2-3, then add a keystone(Auric Transmogrification) that would allow the usage of 2 more. Put this keystone between witch and templar move the curse keystone to be between shadow and witch, then rework aura costs. I think this would have opened more options for builds.

Mortal conviction with sovereignty node and reduced mana gem brought my vitality to 16%(from 40%) and I didn't get the reduced mana gem very high. BM never really seemed to be great on auras to begin with, unless you wanted a low life build.

The look needs to be looking at flat % costs to effectiveness of that aura. I agree hatred didn't seem to be different at all except in cost. I am sure GGG will rectify this...eventually.:)

cheers
Conan: Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.
Never dance with the Devil because a dance with the Devil could last you forever...
-I thought what I'd do was,I'd Pretend I was one of those deaf mutes-
Nullus Anxietas:)
Just like to mention my friend's BM facebreaker vaal pact build that runs Hatred at about 18% with just MC, Prism Guardian, and a 20/20 Reduced Mana.

..."Just".
Luna's Blackguards - a guild of bronies - is now recruiting! If you're a fan of our favourite chromatic marshmallow equines, hit me up with an add or whisper, and I'll invite you!
IGN: HopeYouAreFireProof
I think that making MC reduce the MAXIMUM mana reserves. There is apparently a hard cap when using all of the reduced mana reserve nodes (that I just found out after leveling my character to 55) at about 67%. I got to 86% reduction, but it only reduced my auras to 20% from 60%.
"
reeves98 wrote:
I think that making MC reduce the MAXIMUM mana reserves. There is apparently a hard cap when using all of the reduced mana reserve nodes (that I just found out after leveling my character to 55) at about 67%. I got to 86% reduction, but it only reduced my auras to 20% from 60%.

Hmm... or you did the calculation wrong. At first the reserved mana is calculated and notes taken into consideration. The maximum is 46% less reserved mana (if I didn't calculate wrong). So the multiplier for Mana-Reservation is 0,54. After that Mortal Conviction comes into play with a multiplier of 0,7 (30% less). The last modifier is the reduced mana gem with 0,71. So there are 4 minima which players could achieve.

MC RedMana Passivs: 0,71 x 0,7 x 0,54 = 0,27
MC RedMana Passivs/AH: 0,71 x 0,7 x 0,46 = 0,23
MC RedMana Passivs/PG: 0,71 x 0,7 x 0,29 = 0,14
MC RedMana Passivs/AH&PG: 0,71 x 0,7 x 0,21 = 0,10
(PG - Prism Guardian, AH - Alpha Howl)

So the least mana a 60% Aura can reserve is 19-20% and the least life 6-7%

I Agree however getting free reservation would make sense. If BM gets 40% free Reservation they could reserve one 40% Aura without any costs or run a cheap 60% Aura. Than again I like the idea of setting the Aura efficiency to zero for all BM chars and getting them some cool benefits for being BM better. To make it really cool offer some nice additions that fit the blood theme and since it is called bloodmagic it might include a certain dislike for arcane stuff.

I don't really see a reason why BM should be made combatible with Auras. The only possibility is giving them a free aura basically, which creates problems since there are 3 different types of Auras (60%, 40% and Clarity). In some situations packing the Clarity Aura on the BM char might be the best idea if it is free, since it can cost more than a 60% Aura on another char. Making BM don't use and don't benefit from Auras (well they would be allowed to cast them, but won't benefit from them) would make them completly different also from chars that just use the BM gem.
They should make it something like we can still run auras without losing too much hp but only 1 aura maximum

New mortal conviction-First aura costs only 200 HP instead of 60%
Honestly, I feel that giving up running auras would be more palatable if blood magic was more powerful: like instead of mortal conviction there was a life leech keystone and some Life nodes behind it instead of mortal conviction.

Basically, that you understand that you're giving up the ability to Run auras when you take blood magic (just scrap mortal conviction altogether) and balance it around it making the melee character extra beefy themselves on a singular level.
Having played around with two 70+ characters since the aura for a significant amount of time, I can say this with confidence:

You don't need auras. At all. Not even one.

You know what my most used aura is right now? Clarity. And that's because mana regeneration is kind of shit, so either you're going Clarity, which eats up a shitload of your mana globe, or you're going Blood Magic support, which means you're essentially at a 5L, or Mana Leech (also 5L), or you're going Blood Magic keystone. Losing a (non-Clarity) aura to gain a link is more than fair.

So acting like Blood Magic is bad because you don't get an aura is bullshit.

That said, Mortal Conviction itself does feel kind of weird. Just because BM doesn't need auras to be good doesn't mean MC is a particularly appealing node. For most everyone who would be interested, it's underwhelming; trying to make it less underwhelming would open the door for very non-standard builds to abuse the fuck out of it, even if it's still shitty for the bulk of players.

In short, I don't believe the Blood Magic keystone is in a bad place at all, but I think Mortal Conviction might be, and I'm not sure exactly what to suggest. I guess it doesn't hurt anything for MC to be on the tree, but it's definitely not something I plan on taking, ever, even if I take Blood Magic.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Nov 30, 2013, 3:20:54 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info