Seriously, a ban on the word "jew"

You're offending multiple players whether you allow usage of the word or not, so there's your answer. Do something else.
If I were a Jew I'd be offended simply because the word was banned.
Jew is not a race therefore there cannot be racial jokes about Jews
some of my IGNs:

EKDDtemplar/DualTotemSparkfotm/jesusbestjewever/EverhardDick/SilSol/SilSol_eight/SilSol_seven/
SilSol_ten/FiretemplarwithAA/JesusFacebreaker/SilSol_three/SilSol_two/grumpycatbestgodever
"
Dashtun wrote:

Actually it is a race as well as religion...

Edit: oops, it is actually a nation. But still;)
✠ ✠
Last edited by wiggin on Oct 27, 2012, 4:47:52 AM
Yes, the problem is not saying the word jew, cos there is nothing wrong with that word, but the whole "buying/selling jews" joke. I personally couldn't care less about it, but many people seem to be offended. It is like the new rage of the couple last years - to be offended over stuff on the Internet. The community won't stop making that joke - there will always be "that one guy" that keeps saying it no matter if you ask him politely to stop. Your only real option is to rename the item if you want it to end.
In my experience, the subset of people that ought to be offended by certain expressions don't care about the expressions in the slightest. The ones that care to complain are often completely unrelated.
I'm thinking primarily of people that feel good about themselves because they think they are proving to have a better personality when they condemn jokes (or simple coincidences) relating to a specific category of people.

The thing is though, not everything is meant as a joke. Some expressions really are meant to hurt. The Jewish players probably know best how the use of the abbreviation of jeweler's orb comes across. Sadly though, I expect it would be rather difficult on this forum to get an understanding of an opinion representative of the Jewish community.

Also, option b) would be akin to doing nothing.
By politely asking not use the abbreviation, you may convince some people that it is not the smart thing to do in global chat. However, at the same time, those that feed on strife will deliberately start using it.
"
wiggin wrote:
"
Dashtun wrote:

Actually it is a race as well as religion...

Edit: oops, it is actually a nation. But still;)

Actually the nation you're thinking of is Israel.
And it is considered a religion and a race, you're right about that.
Its always in the last place you look
Last edited by Verb on Oct 27, 2012, 5:38:28 AM
Don't pander to the minority. Unless there is a huge jewish population playing this game and it will effect sales, fuck em. It's harsh but really, if you open the door for one group, you'll have to do it for everyone.

If people get out of control with it and it turns into actual hate speech, tell them to stop then start throwing out mutings.

Changing orbs is not a good option because again, it says that if someone complains enough they can change things about the game just because they get offended easily.

Look at the situations in the US, which is being overrun by political correctness. Tracy Morgan says if his son was a faggot, he'd stab him. Next thing you know he's spending a month as LGBT lacky doing talks for them and begging for forgiveness. Katt Williams blasts a mexican heckler at a show, makes national news, says he isn't sorry and it just fades away.

These people/groups only have power if you give it to them. Yes, I know you want to be a good person and make the community welcoming to everyone but there's always going to be internet assholes who will be cunts because they are behind a computer screen but you can't fold to a few people who are upset.

Like I said, there are only two solutions, put in a full censorship (because again, censoring just "jew" makes no sense when everything else that is commonly seen as offensive can be said, including all pejorative slurs rather than one that the group is commonly known as and in most contexts isn't offensive) or leave it completely uncensored like it has been.

TBH, I doubt many people would really mind a full censorship if there was an option to allow swears to be unfiltered, as most games and TV still have censorship so it wouldn't be surprising to see it here. It is surprising to see one group be favored over others allowing their word a special rule.
Finished 17th in Rampage - Peaked at 11th
Finished 18th in Torment/Bloodline 1mo Race - peaked at 9th
Null's Inclination Build 2.1.0 - https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1559063
Summon Skeleton 1.3 - https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1219856
The word 'Jew', when used as a noun, is not derogatory, however, when used as an adjective it's a different thing entirely.

With regard to the best approach going forward, unfortunately, I'd have to suggest option (a) as there will always be one person, who will deliberately abuse the word, in the misguided belief it's humorous, regardless of any warnings given.
"
Verb wrote:
Actually the nation you're thinking of is Israel.
And it is considered a religion and a race, you're right about that.

... also called Jewish people or Jewish nation or simply Jews. Israel is usually referring to the State of Israel, it wasn't what I was thinking of. Though it doesn't change the fact that there can be racial jokes about them since it is an ethnic group.

BTW how many people here are Jews and how many people are offended when they see jokes about Jews?
✠ ✠
"
renatobaal wrote:
In my experience, the subset of people that ought to be offended by certain expressions don't care about the expressions in the slightest. The ones that care to complain are often completely unrelated.
I'm thinking primarily of people that feel good about themselves because they think they are proving to have a better personality when they condemn jokes (or simple coincidences) relating to a specific category of people.

Pretty much this^

The 'PC Consciousness' has gone to the point when anything and everything you say can be twisted into potential insult against 'some category of people'. The 'defenders' usually dont even belong to said group, but just feel the need/feel somehow 'better' about themselves when they complain/argue about it. Theres a point when you just have to draw the line to that nonsense.

One would jump on 'WTB Jews' another on calling stuff 'retarded' (desync, drop rates, fusings, unrelated shit...) etc etc. You give PC crowd something to feed on, they just wont stop.

I guess if you really want it to end the only option is orb rename but, can't just keep doing that crap or next time someone will ask for removing animal mobs due to 'animal rights'. Serious racial crap should be bannable, granted, but this is far from it. Caring about making this PG13 and everyone that gets easily butthurt over whats said on the internet is really... well not the way to go imho. Just makes you waste too much time and brainpower on modding and worthless crap. Theres always hello kitty.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info