Animate Weapon

"
ironstove wrote:
I think that the duration for AW is a relic of the previous AW that had no limitation on it.

AW already has a huge disadvantage to other minion builds in its summoning restrictions which disallow it to run master missions and trials, so I believe the duration should be entirely removed because we are capped at 50 anyway these days.

You would get into the same situation as with spectres: people would intentionally choose the best weapons to animate and carry them around. The skill would scale basically infinitely as long as you keep throwing exalts at it. (50 animated Disfavors anyone?)

Similarly to spectres the skill would have to be nerfed to the ground to be balanced around people pre-selecting the weapons to animate, which would make it completely unviable with the current ad-hoc way of using it.
Last edited by Abdiel_Kavash on Apr 6, 2018, 11:55:16 AM
"
Abdiel_Kavash wrote:
"
ironstove wrote:
I think that the duration for AW is a relic of the previous AW that had no limitation on it.

AW already has a huge disadvantage to other minion builds in its summoning restrictions which disallow it to run master missions and trials, so I believe the duration should be entirely removed because we are capped at 50 anyway these days.

You would get into the same situation as with spectres: people would intentionally choose the best weapons to animate and carry them around. The skill would scale basically infinitely as long as you keep throwing exalts at it. (50 animated Disfavors anyone?)

Similarly to spectres the skill would have to be nerfed to the ground to be balanced around people pre-selecting the weapons to animate, which would make it completely unviable with the current ad-hoc way of using it.

No, my suggestion is to remove the duration, not the loss of weapons upon changing instances, so people would definitely not do this.

Having weapons persist through instances is a HUGE code change on the backend, whereas removing the duration is a very small amount of work.

My proposed change would drastically improve the QOL of AW players.

Also, even if AW persisted, they are not nearly as tanky as spectres i.e. able to sit in shaper's beam and stay full HP. One flameblast from normal atziri alone destroys half the weapons.

I think the assumption that AW would follow in line with spectres is not accurate, they're very very different skills, and should remain so, but at the moment having a duration on AW, wasting mana on failed casts, and having to manually target each weapon rather than cast in an area are all QOL problems and bad design which needs to be fixed. The only 'enjoyable' version of AW you want to play these days are autocast builds/spell totem which have an array of problems on their own.

"Oh, dropped a 6l weapon? Nice FIND! It would be a real shame if someone were to... animate that for you... " trollface GGG
I really want animate weapon to be a good thing. I very often level using it on a spell totem. It quickly falls behind for me though.
It's really retarded that 50 minions just insta-die to some of the mobs. Like those idiot elder beasts spawning from null portals. they insta kill minions with 12k life generous life leech and max res.

What about beyond bosses obliterating my minions within seconds? why is there a skill gem in this game that doesn't really work? what am I supposed to do then all of my minions die to the first null portal within seconds?

its funny because I can do T15 bosses just fine, but elder beasts and a lot of random map mobs have some sort of cryptonite effect on my minions. absolutely not fun

a serious buff is needed for this othetwise unique and extremely original skill.

don't worry devs, AW will never get meme status, people are too clearspeed meta slaves to abuse a skill that requires you to stop and cast constantly. just buff it already. AW deserves it, it's one of the most original skills across all games
Last edited by nucleus on May 18, 2018, 12:43:05 PM
I've been avoiding guardian bosses for a reason, but I've decided to try them again just for science.

I entered Forge of the Phoenix boss room with 30 melee and 10 ranged minions. The 30 melee minions died instantly as soon as he cast his AoE damage skill.

my minions have 15k life, 3k life leech and 600 life regen.

It's just sad for such a nice skill to be shut out of many boss fights.
What AW needs is a chest with "Supported by cast while channeling" and "minion speed". Bam, done. AW is now a good option.
Please reconsider my post from over a year ago. It should be even more clear that progression of the game has left Animate Weapon in the cellar of neglect. Summoners must use either a spell totem, CWC support, or Jorrhast to bypass the super clunky and slow AW skill mechanics. Giving the gem the raise zombie treatment instead would help to revive it.

"
... weapon self cast to summon any valid weapon within range if the player does not click on a specific weapon choice which is very similar to the mechanics of raise zombie wherein a specific corpse can be targeted (if corpse target is enabled) or any corpse within range can be summoned...
- May 2017
Fix this dumb spell already, make it aggressive and add a vaal version that spawns 10-20 weapons.
Hi, I've just recently been playing with AW with the chains of command unique items. AW is a skill that is both fun and frustrating.

Why does AW have a skill duration tied to it? AW's are not very tanky. They die all the time. Please make them permanent until they die. Also, please make AW's cross with you when you change zones. Why can't AW's function similarly to spectres and zombies?

I have not read this thread so I apologize if these problems have been mentioned before.
"
generalchaos wrote:
Hi, I've just recently been playing with AW with the chains of command unique items. AW is a skill that is both fun and frustrating.

Why does AW have a skill duration tied to it? AW's are not very tanky. They die all the time. Please make them permanent until they die. Also, please make AW's cross with you when you change zones. Why can't AW's function similarly to spectres and zombies?

I have not read this thread so I apologize if these problems have been mentioned before.

It has been brought up several times before, and the answer is the same as for Spectres: if you were to make AW persistent, you would have to balance them around people animating 50 Atziri's Disfavors and such. With current values, this would absolutely annihilate anything they touch. If you were to scale their power proportionately, people who just animate random drops they find on the ground would not be able to compete at all. (Not to mention anyone who can't afford 50 Disfavors.)

I could see a threshold enabling this playstyle but massively reducing the power and probably number of weapons you can animate at the same time. Sort of like a reverse Soul's Wick.
Last edited by Abdiel_Kavash on Aug 8, 2018, 4:04:34 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info