Animate Guardian

Anyone who could PM me and point me in the direction where I can see how HP and the Guardian skill work? I'm building a templar summoner atm and I need to know which skill to pursue first :)

Thanks!

EDIT: Or is the health shown in http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Animate_Guardian meant "per item equipped" and if so do rings and amulets count? Because even so that's 10 slots and only 760 base hp at lvl 20 gem which doesn't sound correct?
Last edited by Krehlmar on Sep 10, 2014, 10:47:23 PM
Stats are listed here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ahqk9lptRHcMdHdjM1hTNTV1NzhBeEtQYlVvM1NvSFE#gid=5

The number on wiki shows % life increase, not its base hp. The hp stat is any 1 item raised, more items does not increase its hp.
This skill has been in the game for over a year and it has never at any point been useful for any build in any situation.
The Amazon Basin: A Community of Friends Playing Games

http://www.theamazonbasin.com
it has its uses as strictly a support skill, you can use it with high block (necro aegis , a sheild on the guardian and bone offering)

to proc zahndethu's aoe life regen 4% life regen is nice for minions

you can also put a dying breath and leer cast on one for 33% increased damage as an aura.
or you can link blind on him and melee splash with a fast weapon to get blind on bosses ..

there are uses , but they are gear dependent.

and considering you lose the gear when you place it on a guardian , that is a risk most dont want.

im not even talking about what happens when a guardian dies.
Tried the Guardian today after hearing numerous times of other summoners using it for support.

I am personally fine with permanently losing gear to make it stronger, but it's currently laughable at best but the potential remains enticing.

Frankly, in either support or "guardian" roles, this unit's AI sucks. It's a heartache to invest specific items onto it, only for it to run off and get killed the first moment you look away.

My recommendation would be:

- Shorter leash distance from the player
- Only aggros when player is attacked
- Does not simply attack anything it detects nearby

Make it act like a "Guardian". Something that stands by your side and only reacts to anything that attacks first. It shouldn't be proactively trying to kill everything for you.

Additionally, some basic stat buffs:

- Increased resistances per gem level
- Its own energy shield based on gem level

Above all else, I think the best buff that could be given would be the choice to desummon it:

Like how it can be summoned after re-equipping the gem or logging back in and casting in an empty space, make it so we can also desummon it by casting in an empty space.

- This would give us the option to save it skillfully rather than watching it die, or resorting to unsocketing the gem or logging out, which is far more mechanically displeasing.
- You could even make an alternate button for this, similar to the Detonate button for mines.

Some QoL would be greatly appreciated too.

- Display Equipped items' tooltips when mousing over the gem or unit icon on-screen
- Display its max HP on tooltip like Zombies

Casual Alt-Life is best Life.

Gen 1: Spectre Necromancer, Caustic Trapper, Righteous Incinerator, 3Dragons Deadeye, Elemental Raider
Gen 2: Flicker Blade Vortexer, Perandus Hierophant, Iron Commander, Poison Flurrier
Gen 3: Cycloning Slayer, Berserker Witherstormer, LL SRS Auramancer.
Last edited by JunBerry on Sep 13, 2014, 7:54:55 AM
"
Starxsword wrote:
Stats are listed here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ahqk9lptRHcMdHdjM1hTNTV1NzhBeEtQYlVvM1NvSFE#gid=5

The number on wiki shows % life increase, not its base hp. The hp stat is any 1 item raised, more items does not increase its hp.

Oh ok, not that much tho considering you can only have ONE at a time as well as invest items to it.

Can't GGG make this skill in the fashion of the Golems/Iron Golem in Diablo 2? As in The Guardian would be this really badass unit that was hard to kill. I mean sure it might not do near as much damage as mass Zombies or Spectres but at least make it tanky or supportive (like the auras) without having to waste huge amounts of gear for it; Since that makes it a skill reserved only for the richest.
It is tanky even with somewhat low end gear. You just need a good shield (30-32% block) and some okayish resists items.
If you want it to almost never die, yeah, stack it up with insane gear.
"
soul4hdwn wrote:
"
pelife123 wrote:
If i get the gem to lv 20 and reset it with the quality recipe (gem cutter + lv 20 for lv 1 with 20% quality) will i lose my existing animate guardian (on the lv 20 gem) during the process?
he'll break if he has armor that doesn't meet the new lower requirements of the gem's allowance.

otherwise he should be fine and most likely will only need to be resummoned, granted the above condition didn't break him.
u sure? i thought that this would be technically a new gem, and the guardian is bound to gem, not character...
And worst change is putting almost all bosses in new version of maps into fucking small areas, where you can't kite well or dodge stuff. What a terrible idiot invented that I want say to him: dude flick you, seriously flick you very much.
"
silumit wrote:
the guardian is bound to gem, not character...
Incorrect. The guardian is bound to the character which summoned him, not a specific gem used to do so.
If you summon a guardian with high level gear and then swap to a low level gem, it won't be able to summon with that gear.
If at least one item is usable by the lower level gem, it will be resummonable, but will fail to use the other gear which is over it's level restriction. However unless you add more gear to replace it, it will still have the high level gear stored and can use it with a higher level gem.
question ,

Since the player technically loses the gear he attaches to guardians,
ie you cant take it off for use on other characters , for trading (buy or sell etc)

And given the current meta around end game which boasts unsurvivable damage spikes that are expected to be avoided or mitigated with advanced game play.

(ie atziri flame blasts you are supposed to pop a ruby flask , run an aura or use a fast moveskill to avoid)

Is it still reasonable to expect players to continually replace the gear lost on the guardian?

I dont know about others. but it absolutely deters me from investing anything of value on him. I would most certainly never use him as a main skill because of this.

His ai, no all summon ai is no where near advanced enough to deal with high level threats.

Would it not be better to instead say add a long cool down to him incase he dies so he cant be easily resummoned?

like say if he dies you need to either port out or wait a full minute. You get around the cheese of being to resummon a powerful minions easily when it dies but you are free to actually invest into him as a viable build.

I would love to put a serious weapon on a guardian and run him on a 6l, but i cant there is just no way i could do such a thing right now given how easy it is to lose him with out gems like max level empower and +2 minion gear.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info