Animate Guardian

"
Mark_GGG wrote:

This is one of the sources of issues with the skill, since it can be very good with carefully chosen items, but people are wanting it to also be good with just whatever they happen to find. We're looking into ways to raise it's effectiveness when used with sub-par gear without making it too powerful when you put effort into it's build.

Somehow I missed this post. I think the biggest thing you could do to help tone down its power is fixing snapshot if your worried about builds that put effort into it. Players won't feel inclined to wear Skullhead, Sidhebreath, and Chober Chaber as normal gear. If you can't "Snapshot" a guardian like this, it loses a TON of defensive stats. If people want a guardian that is more than a disposable tank they would have to invest in minion passives and gems like a summoner would. If snapshotting is also fixed, perhaps we could see some quality of life changes like permanent spectres (or at least a way to get properly leveled spectres when switching from normal areas to maps).

If removing snapshot means he can be buffed, and perhaps the perma death removed, then I am all for it. Its a clunky mechanic. However, I do think if you put effort, and gear, into him you should be rewarded compared to someone who just casts it on any white random trash on the ground. Not really sure how you can manage this without making players who want to use it as an endgame skill feeling left out.

Anyways, glad to know you guys haven't forgotten about him yet.
Last edited by Moose65 on Feb 22, 2014, 5:34:46 PM
sugerence: you can make guys that based on the item type used on the guardian it adds stats to it.
i dont know about numbers or balance just an example.

white item: adds 20 life 2damage
blue item: adds 30 life 5 damage + item stats/mods
yellow item: adds 40 life 10 damage + item stats/mods
Unique item: adds 50 life 20 damage + item stats/mods

So this stats would be added to the guardian plus the stats that items adds.
So if you invest more in the guardian, you will be rewarded and the guardian would be less likely to die.

Lets say i raise a guardian with 2 blue items and 3 yellow ones, the my guardian would have a 180 bonus to life and 40 to damage.

just an idea. i hope its well explained.
IGN: Ariannahh
Alf's True summoner: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1322360/page/1
Alf's Only SRS: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1454368
Hideout: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1428672
Last edited by kjksdajk on Feb 24, 2014, 5:51:39 AM
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
"
Teriderol wrote:
The gem is a great item sink and really supportive if you go ranged and squishy. However, it would be great if also other stats beside +x to Maximum life or +x% increased Attack Speed would carry over, so that it wont use your defenses.
And yes, if you give it a complete set of rares, you prolly looses a few alterations vendoring it, but it won't die so fast.

Suggestions:
- use item stats from items placed upon it (including movement speed and energy shield)
It does get all the stats of the items you make it from. That's pretty much the entire point of the skill, and what allows for customisation (by using uniques or aiming for certain affixes such as resistance).

This is one of the sources of issues with the skill, since it can be very good with carefully chosen items, but people are wanting it to also be good with just whatever they happen to find. We're looking into ways to raise it's effectiveness when used with sub-par gear without making it too powerful when you put effort into it's build.

The problem really is multifold:

The guardian runs around like crazy. He's not an ally. His name is Leeroy Jenkins. THis, causes him to die.

And when the gaurdian's AI causes it to die, and you lose SERIOUS investment of items, well, it's worse than dying to desync really.

So, WE have Leeroy running around, and getting himself killed. And we have a high investment of items into making him not suck.

The problem isn't that we want him to be good with bad items. The problem is, that we don't feel it is worth the time and effort into putting good items into him, when he is going to die, really fast, regardless of what items we put on him.

And then, there is the problem of

Not being able to see what it has equipped.
Not being able to see what his stats are.
Not being able to do..... well really anything with him.

And while you can keep notes, it feels counterintuitive to playing a Computer game, to need to keep notes on my minion outside of the game.

While I understand that micromanaging this minion is the best way to get the most out of him, without better tools in the UI to micromanage him, it really is more difficult than it should be to tell if an item is going to be an upgrade over what it has equipped, what he needs to keep moving forward, etc...

I tried for 40 levels to make it work. 40 levels of pumping gear into guardians, and watching them leeroy themselves to death, before i gave up on it.
How to use this im hovering over an item on the ground and push R for the spell but my scion only does a stance without anything happening? :s
Is it an unidentified blue or yellow item?
You mean i need to identify the item then drop it and then cast? weird. I was trying to use it on white ones.
"
thewandmirror wrote:
You mean i need to identify the item then drop it and then cast? weird. I was trying to use it on white ones.

Make sure the item isn't of a higher level than your gem is capable of supporting. That or your trying to animate a belt/ring/amulet/wand/bow.
i would like to ask just this

if guardian dies item goes with him

right?

how can i avoid his death? just logout before he dies? i play HC so my death = his too so i am woring more about guardian
AG gets unsummoned when you remove gem, so either remove gem manually or place it in weapon slot and press weapon swap key.
I don't know what I'm doing wrong but this skill is not working for my characters. Tried with every kind of weapon and armour. Also tried disabling Key Pickup options. My character just play the casting animation and nothing happens...
██▄░░░░░░▄███▄░░░░░░▄██▄░░░░░░░▄██▄░░▄██▄░░▄██▄░░░░░░▄██
█▄░░▄██▄░░▄█▄░░▄██▄░░▄█▄░░▄██▄░░▄█▄░░▄██▄░░▄█▄░░▄██▄░░▄█
█▄░░▄███████▄░░▄██▄░░▄█▄░░░░░░░▄██▄░░▄██▄░░▄█▄░░▄██▄░░▄█
█▄░░▄██▄░░▄█▄░░▄██▄░░▄█▄░░▄██▄░░▄██▄░░▄▄░░▄██▄░░▄██▄░░▄█
██▄░░░░░░▄███▄░░░░░░▄██▄░░▄██▄░░▄███▄░░░░▄████▄░░░░░░▄██

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info