Cast on Melee Kill

"
Velt wrote:
I have one small qualm with these recent changes to CoMK. The damage scaling that you get is increased Spell damage and not Elemental damage. This means that Detonate Dead's damage will not scale with the damage of CoMK, which is really unfortunate for anyone who was planning on using that ability. Even though I believe that the combination of CoMK and detonate dead can be very powerful on its own, it would be sweet if you could change the bonus damage of the gem to Elemental rather than Spell damage.

My 2 cents.
inferno blow says why do that when i do better.
This gem isn't working with animate weapon. It needs to be fixed.

Edit: My bad, i didn't link it to a melee skill.
Last edited by DarbeliMatkapTr on Sep 12, 2014, 11:09:50 AM
Can the modifier of this gem get changed to simply "More damage"? Not just for the spell cast, but potentially even for the melee skill itself, but maybe at a smaller rate. Increased spell damage is a pretty small bonus in my opinion, considering the attack which actually needs to kill the monsters has several issues.

1) Actually kill something to trigger. Thus, if you have a very powerful spell linked that does the killing you won't get to trigger this gem much and

2) You lose 2 links to the melee ability. This is a humongous downside without gaining any damage bonus to the melee ability. (This makes #1 even harder.)

3) The spell itself is losing a link to the melee ability, so it will be weaker (intentional of course, but this starts to make your gem setup for this gem very clunky.)
@Moylin (Beyond)
Last edited by Avelice on Sep 12, 2014, 3:32:57 PM
The quality bonus is "Increased damage". 0.5% per quality if I recall correctly.
"
Velt wrote:
I have one small qualm with these recent changes to CoMK. The damage scaling that you get is increased Spell damage and not Elemental damage. This means that Detonate Dead's damage will not scale with the damage of CoMK, which is really unfortunate for anyone who was planning on using that ability. Even though I believe that the combination of CoMK and detonate dead can be very powerful on its own, it would be sweet if you could change the bonus damage of the gem to Elemental rather than Spell damage.

My 2 cents.

If it was elemental damage then EK would not scale and others will complain.

If it was increased damage it would scale the melee skill as well. (what the quality does)

I'm currently running it with cleave - weapon elemental damage - faster attacks - CoMK - DD
and I have a ton of elemental damage passives so it works quite well but not sure DD is the correct gem. Ice nova may be better or summon raging spirit.

IGN: LiveD_LivE
"
requiner wrote:
"
Velt wrote:

My 2 cents.

If it was elemental damage then EK would not scale and others will complain.

If it was increased damage it would scale the melee skill as well. (what the quality does)

I'm currently running it with cleave - weapon elemental damage - faster attacks - CoMK - DD
and I have a ton of elemental damage passives so it works quite well but not sure DD is the correct gem. Ice nova may be better or summon raging spirit.

my link is cleave - weapon elemental damage - CoMK - Discharge - Endurance Charge on Melee Stun
It works no so bad (not so good too. My single cleave can do similar damage than my 10 charges Discharge...) in solo, but shitty as hell in party.
I have already used Oro's Sacrifice (which has Culling Strike against Burning Enemies). However, it's still so bad in party.

1. You melee attack can't do even enough damage in a 6 man party. BAD.
2. You can only deal so little killing blow to mods even if you have culling strike. Really BAD.
3. Your spell is still not strong enough even if you can kill a mod (I use Disharge with 4 frenzy, 3 endurance and 3 power with over 200% elemental damage passive). Still not xxx enough. I will expect that spell triggered by CoMK should do massive damage (Should be CoC -> many but small in one hit. Selfcast -> middle. CoMK -> few but massive) but it's not. Really Really BAD BAD BAD.

All in all. it sxxks.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Last edited by WillisTheWillis on Sep 16, 2014, 10:02:07 PM
This gem should be stand-alone like Cast when Damage Taken, so you could craft your own procc without gimping your attack.
I feel like culling strike is necessary to use this support gem viably in a party, but it is difficult to place culling strike in and do good damage without a 5L. I recommend adding an effect of "if enemy dies soon after being hit" like on infernal blow to the gem, so it has a better chance to activate in parties.
"
Avelice wrote:
Can the modifier of this gem get changed to simply "More damage"? Not just for the spell cast, but potentially even for the melee skill itself, but maybe at a smaller rate. Increased spell damage is a pretty small bonus in my opinion, considering the attack which actually needs to kill the monsters has several issues.

1) Actually kill something to trigger. Thus, if you have a very powerful spell linked that does the killing you won't get to trigger this gem much and

2) You lose 2 links to the melee ability. This is a humongous downside without gaining any damage bonus to the melee ability. (This makes #1 even harder.)

3) The spell itself is losing a link to the melee ability, so it will be weaker (intentional of course, but this starts to make your gem setup for this gem very clunky.)

I agree with this.

It's impossible to use in anything other than solo, and even then you are sacrificing a lot to have a spell go off after you've killed the enemies.

The damage increase is on the wrong side, and it's not big enough.

In a party, because you have gimped your melee damage so much, you will, never, ever be the one to kill anything. So your spell will never, ever go off. Even with its pathetic damage increase.

It's still a failure of a gem.

tl;dr:
It could increase the spell damage of linked spells by a million percent, but if you never kill anything, then the spell never goes off, so who cares?

EDIT:

Also the targeting is stupid.

It casts on the spot of the enemy you just killed. What is the use of that? I just killed that enemy. It should target the nearest valid enemy.
It's worth noting that +2 maps are a dangerous thing.
They can cause players to get out of their depth -
playing maps that are too hard for the items they currently have. Herp Derp.
Last edited by RickyDMMontoya on Sep 22, 2014, 3:42:17 PM
I tried something that I think should have worked, but didn't.
It's using Viper Strike with CoMK in conjunction with Desecration. Sounds like a match made in heaven.
But sadly, unless actually kill them directly with an attack from Viper Strike, not the DOT's, it won't trigger CoMK.

Which in turn basically renders Viper Strike useless with CoMK.
I wonder if this is intentional or not.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info