How do you feel about resistance penalties?

"
TheAxiom wrote:
To be clearer, how each person deals with resistance penalties can vary drastically and it is ultimately left up to the player. Would you like to forego additional resistance nodes and have higher a higher damage output or health pool? Would you dump more passives into resist nodes and forego the additional dps?

This would be the case if the resistances were not implemented as simple %. Like this the most rewarding choice is to cap resists and raise the cap if available.

All those choices I hear from penalty fans are already made, not up to player. I am almost sure it became a popular argument to defend such a poor decision devs made because of the official explanation of the reason behind penalties. Well, devs said it and they were wrong, now everybody repeats it.

I have yet to hear from a player that decided to not run resists as high as possible. People don't choose it, it would be really bad choice. They might run low resists because they don't have time to farm better gear, yes, but not by choice.

Gear grind as time sink, passive tree as skillpoint sink. Difficulty raising? Not really, just less elemental damage overall after reaching the cap. Easier endgame, harder leveling.

I guess it's obvious how I feel about those penalties, hehehe.
✠ ✠
Last edited by wiggin on Oct 24, 2012, 6:57:22 PM
"
wiggin wrote:

I have yet to hear from a player that decided to not run resists as high as possible. People don't choose it, it would be really bad choice. They might run low resists because they don't have time to farm better gear, yes, but not by choice.

very well said

i always laugh when i see someone "making choices" or even worse "resistance penalties make me think what to do"

/facepalm

before change MF gear was the most important,now you need resistance gear - you cannot "make a choice" not to run resistance on gear coz you gonna fucking die,there is no choice,we just swaped priorities - MF gear for ele res gear

we are at the same point as before penalties,but now we can tap ourselves on the back coz we are hardcore
some of my IGNs:

EKDDtemplar/DualTotemSparkfotm/jesusbestjewever/EverhardDick/SilSol/SilSol_eight/SilSol_seven/
SilSol_ten/FiretemplarwithAA/JesusFacebreaker/SilSol_three/SilSol_two/grumpycatbestgodever
Resitance penatlies are ok. Im perfeclty fine with them. I enjoyed this mechanic in D2 and i enjoy it here.

Last edited by Kabraxis on Oct 24, 2012, 7:34:18 PM
I also like the penalties. :3
I don't have a problem with them. I figure there needs to be something to counteract the fact that you can reach the cap on resistances at any time if you've geared for it, but you can never "cap" armour/evasion/ES/health.

In that light I do find it slightly odd that GGG didn't use the same kind of "rating" system for resistances that they did for armour and evasion from the beginning (and then they wouldn't have needed to bother with the penalties). But I guess there's something to be said for variation in mechanics.
I think these penalties are just right. It's a nice tribute to D2 as well.
"That's how you die properly, Sailor Boy.."
Um.... I don't run max resists. Or anywhere close.

Usually around 0-25% depending on what ring I have on. Only cold resist can hit max 75% with a ring change, which I tend not to use because it doesn't have any MF.

Further, I farm lvl60s with 2 anda rings when I dont feel like running high lvl maps
Last edited by SL4Y3R on Oct 25, 2012, 1:57:31 AM
I'd rather resistances functioned as a rating, like armor, so people could invest as much as they want to get better mitigation, as the current cap (even pushed up to 80 for mara) is just too low.
IGN: Jerk, Princess

http://orbswap.info - the easy way to trade currency
Apparently if you overlevel the area by 15-20 levels you can exchange some resists for MF. Maybe this is the "meaningful choice" everybody was talking about lately.

BTW even Chris is running max resists, how could he, how, how? ;)
✠ ✠
Last edited by wiggin on Oct 25, 2012, 12:52:22 PM
It was a failed experiment.
Elemental damage is still completely harmless with max resists, and it isn't all that difficult to obtain.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info