Stun and Reduced Stun Threshold: the quick and dirty way

I've been wondering for a while now: is stun pretty much useless against unique mobs/bosses? It seems like it would be impossible to deal enough damage in a single hit unless you're taking down the enemy in just a few hits.
IGN: Iolar
"
BRavich wrote:
I've been wondering for a while now: is stun pretty much useless against unique mobs/bosses? It seems like it would be impossible to deal enough damage in a single hit unless you're taking down the enemy in just a few hits.

Absolutely not. Check my example below, if you want.

Spoiler
Kuruku, the False God is a unique that is always in The Ledge. If you've seen it, you will remember: it's a giant totem that spouts Spark incessantly. I can Leap Slam on it and then use Heavy Strike and it stops shooting Spark immediately.
"
Ladderjack wrote:
"
TehHammer wrote:
What about energy shield mobs?

I cannot speak with any authority...
The point I was trying to make was that you CAN hit a mob above it's entire life pool and it may not die, in the case of energy shield mobs.
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
Having any ES at the point you're hit means a 50% chance to avoid any stun entirely.
ES is not included with life for purposes of determining stun duration.
I assume this applies for mobs as well. Let's say I hit a mob with energy shield with enough damage to get 100% chance to stun, their energy shield will give them a 50% chance to avoid that stun, correct? What if the damage made the energy shield 0? What if the damage didn't make the energy shield 0?
How Fusings Work: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/38585/page/3#p1451934

IGN: TheHammer
Last edited by TehHammer on Oct 25, 2012, 8:05:01 AM
"
TehHammer wrote:
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
Having any ES at the point you're hit means a 50% chance to avoid any stun entirely. ES is not included with life for purposes of determining stun duration.

I assume this applies for mobs as well. Let's say I hit a mob with energy shield with enough damage to get 100% chance to stun, their energy shield will give them a 50% chance to avoid that stun, correct? What if the damage made the energy shield 0? What if the damage didn't make the energy shield 0?

It would be like the man says: if the mob has any energy shield at the time they are hit, they have a 50% chance to avoid stun regardless of chance to stun. The only relevance the state of the energy shield would have is on the next hit.

edit: accidentally a word
Last edited by Ladderjack on Oct 25, 2012, 8:09:24 AM
Again, you prove to completely miss the point. I brought up energy shield strictly because someone said if you hit a mob above it's life pool, it's dead. I was simply pointing out that you can, in fact, hit a mob above it's life pool and it can survive.
How Fusings Work: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/38585/page/3#p1451934

"
TehHammer wrote:
Again, you prove to completely miss the point.

This comes off as unfriendly and condescending. FYI.

"
TehHammer wrote:
I brought up energy shield strictly because someone said if you hit a mob above it's life pool, it's dead. I was simply pointing out that you can, in fact, hit a mob above it's life pool and it can survive.

I was replying to the question you posed about energy shield and the chance to avoid stun, hence the quote. =)

Edit: fun with tags
Last edited by Ladderjack on Oct 25, 2012, 9:02:28 AM
"
Ladderjack wrote:
"
TehHammer wrote:
Again, you prove to completely miss the point.

This comes off as unfriendly and condescending. FYI.
Good, so does this.
"

I was replying to the question you posed about energy shield and the chance to avoid stun, hence the quote. =)

Edit: fun with tags
You responded to something I directed at Mark. I don't want to hear what you think, I want to hear what a dev knows to be true. He specifically said:
"
Having any ES at the point you're hit
He didn't specify when a mob was hit. I just wanted confirmation, from him, that what I assume to be true is, in fact, true.

Last edited by TehHammer on Oct 25, 2012, 9:20:27 AM
I'm not doing this. Enjoy your angry postings, kid.
"
TehHammer wrote:

I've bolded the part where you answer your own questions before you ask them.

But hey, it's OTHERS that miss the point.
"
Ladderjack wrote:
I'm not doing this. Enjoy your angry postings, kid.
I'm not angry, you've misinterpreted feelings on the internet, not exactly an uncommon thing to do.

As for being a child, I am not, and haven't been for a long time.

I do, however, apologize that I didn't specifically state "Mark" at the beginning of my question directed at him, it would have been more clear who I wanted a response from.

You first said:
"
Ladderjack wrote:
I can tell you that over my lunch break, I faced plenty of Necromancers and Diabolists in the prison and their energy shields didn't seem to give them any protection from stun.
Which would make me believe that the 50% chance to avoid stun does not apply to mobs. Then you said:
"
Ladderjack wrote:
It would be like the man says: if the mob has any energy shield at the time they are hit, they have a 50% chance to avoid stun
These would seem to contradict each other. I just want clarification from Mark because he didn't address mobs, or at least the wording wasn't very good if he was trying to address the stun chance of mobs with ES.

My initial energy shield mobs question was meant to be rhetorical, it was an example of a way you can hit a mob for more damage than their life without them dying, another would be a mob with the "Allies cannot die" aura from a nearby totem/rare.

Nonetheless this is a very informative thread and your OP is a very good one, so despite the minor squabbling, thank you for it.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info