Streaming my game programming?

Stream up. Working on some game stuff.
working on a little bit of level generation.
Still working on some level generation, path finding-ish stuff.
I appreciate your endurance.
Continuity is the way to get successful in broadcasting media,
even if your program is only appealing for a small usergroup.

Please continue. :)
Stream will be up about 1 min after this post.

I will continue to be working on the level generation tonight.

If anyone would like to join the stream, listen to some okay music, and ask about plans, or how I am completing a certain goal, you are welcome.

twitch.tv/epicmice
I'm going to take a break and head to bed.

What I've done so far atm...

I managed to get a decent direct point to point zig-zag path code (not diagonally connecting instances, as you have to go from "box" to "box" rather than crossing through them.)

Basically, when a player completes an area, they can only progress to the adjacent tile/area.

Which means zig-zag, not traversing diagonally.

So I used...
Spoiler

[Any code in this spoiler is for public use.]

"cp" 'CurrentPoint'is a public variable (Point) (outside of the method/function) used to portray the current stage in path progression. When this changes, it is added to the list of points which make up the path the player must take to get from one tile/area to the next.

"end" is a public variable (Point) that is the final point in the path. When the 'CurrentPoint' reaches the 'End Point', the path is complete.

The Yellow is the starting point, and the Red is the end point.

The points are chosen at random from a grid of every existing point I initialize. This code works from every point to any other within the grid.

public void makePath(){

System.out.println("begin");
while(!cp.equals(end)){
System.out.println(cp+":"+end);

Point p1 = new Point(cp);
Point p2 = new Point(end);

if(p1.x > p2.x){

cp = new Point(cp.x-1,cp.y);
path.add(new Point(cp));
}else if(p1.x < p2.x){
cp = new Point(cp.x+1,cp.y);
path.add(new Point(cp));
}

if(p1.y > p2.y){

cp = new Point(cp.x,cp.y-1);
path.add(new Point(cp));
}else if(p1.y < p2.y){
cp = new Point(cp.x,cp.y+1);
path.add(new Point(cp));
}

}
System.out.println("end");
System.out.println(path);

}

When I get further into Level generation, I can make it choose at random which direction to go next. This is just a direct path.

I can obviously tell it to choose 2 points, connect them, choose 2 more points that haven't been selected yet, test if they would overlap existing points, and try another until it succeeds.

Or I can give it a clean flawless generation where it runs an algorithm to know where it can go before hand.

The latter is more difficult if I were to test my game. It can be implemented whenever I have time for it, but I will stick with a slight guiding hand to make a 'soft' generation so that the points can never inevitably collide in the first place. This means that the paths will ultimately be going in one general direction (away from the rest of the points) but it would do for a simple game.

If I feel like adding depth into it later on, I sure can make the path wind and turn.

Good night.

Oh, just a side note...
If Path of Exile had a TCG, The logo on the back would be the ultimate logo a TCG would ever have. :3
Last edited by micecd on Oct 16, 2013, 3:28:32 AM
Stream up in a few. Not sure what I'm going to work on. Perhaps Tile/Area objects for the player to play in.
Stream will be up in a couple minutes. I will be working on some general interface code for selecting certain objects and interacting with them, like Choosing a location to travel to, buttons, menus within the game later on.

Stream will be up in a couple of minutes.

I posted a todo list on the main post but I'm not sure what I will be working on for the next hour, I have work in two hours.
Hey, I will be streaming in a few minutes after setting up my music and ide.

I will be programming for about 2-3 hours. It's nice to have ppl chatting with me while I do it :D

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info