Map\Zoom hacking in Path of Exile racing.

"
Hilbert wrote:

"
3. Persons sell their end of season rewards for big in game currency amounts, which at times can equate to hundreds of dollars in the real world currency conversion.

Speaking of experience?

Yup.

"When I close my eyes, I see this thing, a sign, I see this name in bright blue neon lights with a purple outline. And this name is so bright and so sharp that the sign - it just blows up because the name is so powerful... It says, "Diamond Supporter."
"
Morsexier wrote:
"
Hilbert wrote:

"
3. Persons sell their end of season rewards for big in game currency amounts, which at times can equate to hundreds of dollars in the real world currency conversion.

Speaking of experience?

Yup.

nice taryns and rainbowstrides, rmt confirmed enjoy the permanent vacation poe
http://www.twitch.tv/rhoxxx

follow the stream :)
"
Hilbert wrote:

"
Zooming wouldnt work for the most part if the map seed code was properly implimented and only sent local (visible) information to the client. Fix one and the other should be mostly fixed along with it.

It is implemented that way, even D2 rendered only 2 screens distance+ mobs.
The only difference are rendered tilesets, but seeing 2 screens further is still a big advantage.

Later maphacks in D2 exposed every monster on the map, along with their type, mods, the works. I dont know exactly what the PoE maphack shows aside from the actual map seed, but whatever its showing can be greatly limited by simply not sending that information to the player until theyre within range. Reducing the advantage gained from seeing the entire map and every monster on it to only seeing the map that youve explored and monsters an extra half screen away would be a pretty big step in the right direction.

"
Hybriis wrote:
"
KoTao wrote:
Zooming wouldnt work for the most part if the map seed code was properly implimented and only sent local (visible) information to the client. Fix one and the other should be mostly fixed along with it.

Except this would likely cause too much loading lag as the player moves around.

Its up to GGG to impliment it in a way that isnt intrusive. I already get major hitches when rogue exiles or monster-only auras etc load for the first time so its certainly something to be concerned about. Perhaps this is why its taken them so long to make improvements, though that still doesnt excuse copypasting such clearly cheat-prone map seed code from D2 in the first place.
IGN: KoTao
@Morsexier
You know as good as everybody that those items can easily be identified and are untradeable.
While random Demigods, random level 100 rewards can easily be traded away.

"
Later maphacks in D2 exposed every monster on the map, along with their type, mods, the works. I dont know exactly what the PoE maphack shows aside from the actual map seed, but whatever its showing can be greatly limited by simply not sending that information to the player until theyre within range.

Actually the very first maphack already did that quiet early in 2001.

In that term PoE is too similar to D2.
But given the nature that coders/scriptkiddies aren't that much interested in POE.
The public hacks are so primitive the original coder didn't spent more than 2h on it.
Or look at Pixelscanbot attempts. The OB launch was quiet big yet there were barely any attempts compared to D3, where Fixed Area and AH Bots flooded the game really fast.

It only bugs me why doesn't GGG add that 2 liner to detect the tool.

"
though that still doesnt excuse copypasting such clearly cheat-prone map seed code from D2 in the first place.

It isn't copy pasting. There are just different approached how to settle the map issue.
And even the client doesn't know the entire map. It's not possible to prevent monsters to be seen outside of the max. Screen and even then a map is generated by tiles and that's nothing else than a many puzzles and where you are looking for the edge pieces.

Similar to this kind of puzzle game:
http://www.classicdosgames.com/game/Oilcap.html but can only know parts next to the dicovered part and you can put matching parts next to the dicovered part and there are several possibilities.

There are games which already offer a discovered map and even shop mobs on the minimap.
Other games have a really simple linear structure they don't have a map at all.

When i mention copypasting of code, its meant figuratively (they end up with an identical or near identical result), not literally (im pretty sure if they actually stole whole blocks of code from other games- assuming it was even remotely compatible in the first place- theyd have been shut down long ago).

And as far as that goes in relevance to this thread, PoE ended up with the exact same issue D2 had (map revealing being trusted to the client and thus wide open to cheating), so i think my copypaste statement is pretty apt.
"
KoTao wrote:
so i think my copypaste statement is pretty apt.

in before 3 page reply as to why it isn't
"
KoTao wrote:
"
Hybriis wrote:
"
KoTao wrote:
Except this would likely cause too much loading lag as the player moves around.
Its up to GGG to impliment it in a way that isnt intrusive. I already get major hitches when rogue exiles or monster-only auras etc load for the first time so its certainly something to be concerned about. Perhaps this is why its taken them so long to make improvements, though that still doesnt excuse copypasting such clearly cheat-prone map seed code from D2 in the first place.
The thing is, it's really not all that much data which needs to be sent. The image and movement data for the trees, the dirt, the monsters is all stored on the client; the only thing the server needs to do is specify which tree from a list of trees, which dirt from a list of dirt, which monster from a list of monsters. Sending the data on-demand shouldn't really be a bandwidth issue, so that part isn't hard. What is hard is training the server when to send which data, which is actually a pretty complicated programming problem.

The real bad news is zoom hack. Even once map-hack is thwarted and the data available to the client is limited to the immediate vicinity of the player, it will always be required to send a significant amount of that data in advance — you don't want monsters poofing into existence on-screen, you want them poofing into existence slightly off-screen before the player encounters them directly. This means that fixing maphack will partially mitigate zoomhack, because instead of seeing 2+ extra screenlengths out, zoomhack would see maybe 1 extra screenlength out, with things poofing into existence on the edges of zoomhack vision. However, that's still significantly more than non-hack vision, and the worst part is that there really isn't anything we could do to solve it.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Bump for relevance.
Next appropriate bump date, approximately Jan 15th 2014.
"When I close my eyes, I see this thing, a sign, I see this name in bright blue neon lights with a purple outline. And this name is so bright and so sharp that the sign - it just blows up because the name is so powerful... It says, "Diamond Supporter."
"
Morsexier wrote:
Next appropriate bump date, approximately Jan 15th 2014.

bump
IGN: Korvashi or Kalamth

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info