0.9.12w Patch Notes

"
So many great ideas to augment current FFA-loot system!

it's not ffa completely, you may have noticed there is a timer which assigns loot to persons until it runs.

"
To repeat, FFA kills relaxed mood in a party

if i want to relax i do other things than playing an fast and exciting online game.
Last edited by cronus on Oct 22, 2012, 2:56:50 AM
Well, that's just you.
I personally have no problem with a timer, it's just way short.
Zaanus:
Global chat: Mechanics for A work one way, B for another, C for a third but also with A, B uses C but not A, and D uses A&B but not C

___
Isn't a "no" better than an ignore?
Fine the way it is.

Long timers, confirmation boxes, even instanced loot adds time to gameplay, and takes away from immersion. I may want that RGB L and he doesn't.

Keep it the way it is.
I'd argue for removing the assigning of loot thats going on right now, keeping the grace period, like, just give every item drop a 3 second timer before its pickable by anyone.

While this wouldn't really help players with high latency it would remove the entitelment that exists due to loot being assigned to someone for a couple of seconds.
I feel this entitelment is a problem and more often then not leads to unnecessary drama when it comes to loot.
Sure it sucks to loose that sweet drop to someone else, but it forces you to pay more attention to whats dropping around you.

Instanced loot takes away a huge part of the excitement, please don't ever implement it.

Honestly, if you really want the drop, and can't manage to pick it up within the timer you are probably doing something wrong.

The competition of looting is one of the major things that made d2 public games intresting. Sure, players used pickit and stuff like that to pickup loot, but its not like you couldn't beat them to the items while playing legit.

And it's not impossible to make friends with other players ingame if your irl buddies isn't playing, thrn play with them with your own rules for looting?

Alot of the highlevel d2c chaos sanctuary runs used some kind of round robin system or similar for loots off diablo, that worked too even tho d2 was completely ffa.

And if you'r really that cheap that you can't stand seeing loot go to someone else then stick to soloing ;)
Last edited by dmouze on Oct 22, 2012, 11:01:13 AM
Instanced loot is the antithesis of "fair loot distribution" which is what people /really/ want.

WOW-style loot allocation does not fairly distribute loot either, it just creates MORE entitlement to loot you may need. It also slows down the game.

The current system is fine, though we could possibly draft a better system, I don't think it's worth development time at this juncture.
My Keystone Ideas: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/744282
How about running a 2-week league "Instanced loot only", just to test it out?

Let's see how big of a jump in multiplayer games this will create, and also how it will dramatically change the way people behave in this new multiplayer environement.
Sorry anubite, but I have to say something here...

"
anubite wrote:
Instanced loot is the antithesis of "fair loot distribution" which is what people /really/ want.

How is instanced loot not fair? Some time you will not get anything good, while other people do. And sometimes it will be the opposite. Over the long term though, you'll get your fair share. In FFA loot, you get your loot stolen if you are not fast enough or just didn't notice it in time. That's not really fair.

"
The current system is fine, though we could possibly draft a better system, I don't think it's worth development time at this juncture.

I want PoE to attract as many players as possible. I want this game to be a success. For this to happen, people will have to develop a strong attachment to the game, and in the long term, this happens mostly through a solid multiplayer experience.

I don't think people play much parties right now, other than for boosting or farming bosses. Maybe I'm wrong. I don't consider myself much of a multiplayer guy, and I don't play much party in PoE. In fact I play only with a real life friend.

Despite this, I played tons of party games in D3 with random people, because it was mostly fair and the setup of the game promoted this. And sometimes you met the occasional fun guy you added to your friends list. It's what kept me playing D3 longer than I should have, because even though the game had terrible design in many departments, the multiplayer aspect was solid, technically and by design (after tweeks).

I would like this to happen for PoE too, because that's how their F2P model will work: people will buy cosmetic loots to show them off to other people. And because of this, making the multiplayer as good as possible before open beta should be number 1 priority.
Last edited by Thalandor on Oct 22, 2012, 2:09:09 PM
Too all the people saying 'all is fine, nothing needs changing' I'd simply say just look at the number of public groups on the board at any given time and tell me all is fine.

I'd submit one of the primary reasons people are not grouping up as much as they could or would LIKE TO is because of the current system.

To those that say the timer in place is fine, I guess it is if your a ninja looter quick on the draw, or just like strife in your life.
Yah, I said that.

For my caster and arrow tosser I'm usually further away from where the drop occurs, it takes time to get there. NOt to mention all the other gear that drops as one is always hoping for a four or higher link object to fall.

Last time I public grouped (a week ago) there were
any number of times I wasn't there in time and the other players got the items.

If ya want some good shooter stress, sign up for the military and take a tour in Afghanistan .

Me, I"m playing a game I like to enjoy it not stress out.

CliffH raved: maybe if half the mods Werent neckbearded, introverted middle aged men covered in a layer of cheeto dust, they would review the reports before smacking their over protruding forehead on the mute button. FUNNY!
"
Buzi wrote:
Too all the people saying 'all is fine, nothing needs changing' I'd simply say just look at the number of public groups on the board at any given time and tell me all is fine.

I'd submit one of the primary reasons people are not grouping up as much as they could or would LIKE TO is because of the current system.
I am curious as to why you believe this, and I suspect you're wrong.

Here's some evidence against your position:
This thread recently asked people why they don't play in public parties. At time of writing this post:
  • FFA was not the most posted reason - more people say they avoid public parties because they like to play at their own pace and take breaks when they want than because of the looting system.
  • There were more than twice as many totalled non-FFA-loot reasons for not partying than loot reasons. Many just prefer playing with friends than people they've never met.
  • More than half of the players who did list FFA as a reason for not playing in public parties also listed other reasons they don't play public parties.
  • There were very nearly as many responses from people saying they do play public parties as those who don't because of FFA (3 fewer)

The feedback that you the players give does not support the suggestion that FFA loot is the main reason why people don't play in public parties, and in fact indicates that removing FFA would get only a relatively small number of additional players into public parties.

I'd encourage you to put your own reasons down in that thread if you haven't already - giving your own reasons for why you don't play public parties is more useful to us that speculating about why other people don't, as we know you're right about the first.
Last edited by Mark_GGG on Oct 22, 2012, 8:25:42 PM
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
"
Buzi wrote:

I am curious as to why you believe this, and I suspect you're wrong.

Here's some evidence against your position:
This thread recently asked people why they don't play in public parties. At time of writing this post:
  • FFA was not the most posted reason - more people say they avoid public parties because they like to play at their own pace and take breaks when they want than because of the looting system.
  • There were more than twice as many totalled non-FFA-loot reasons for not partying than loot reasons. Many just prefer playing with friends than people they've never met.
  • More than half of the players who did list FFA as a reason for not playing in public parties also listed other reasons they don't play public parties.
  • There were very nearly as many responses from people saying they do play public parties as those who don't because of FFA (3 fewer)

The feedback that you the players give does not support the suggestion that FFA loot is the main reason why people don't play in public parties, and in fact indicates that removing FFA would get only a relatively small number of additional players into public parties.

The next logical question to that then is:

Does GGG have any specific plans due to this type of information that will lead to the formation of groups that support the most complained about reasons why they do not join groups? (even if those reasons are not FFA related?) What major walls are currently in place that have been identified that prevent a healthy community of randomly grouped parties?

In other words, players often choose not to group, for various reasons, yet in a multiplayer gaming environment, playing multiplayer style should probably not just be supported, but actively sought out by a large portion of the population. Since this is apparently not occurring, there should be some analysis as per what could motivate a healthy multiplayer community/environment.

Once players seek to jump in and out of cooperative parties in non-cutthroat leagues at their convenience, then one can reconsider what impact timed allocation has on this active and healthy multiplayer (randomly grouped) population.
If you have account problems please [url="http://www.pathofexile.com/support"]Email Support[/url]

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info