State of Decay

"
Sonnac wrote:
"
nzrock wrote:
"
Sonnac wrote:
Did any of you use a PS3 controller on the PC to play this game? Or do you all have a Xbox controller?

I use this: http://forums.undeadlabs.com/showthread.php?34504-SODBK-key-bindings-in-a-simple-gui

Cool! I got to try that out. Finally I can play State of Decay! Thanks :)

Beware that it's not perfect. Camera turning/movement is still pretty bad(it's slow) and trying to aim with a gun to get a headshot, is just horribly hard and can't be fixed if the Devs don't add proper support.
Also trying to assign some of the keys to your keyboard, can be annoying and requires trial & error testing.
Sweeping Maid
Yea I highly recommend playing with an Xbox or PS3 controller. There is a huge demand for keyboard and mouse support but personally these types of games with combo attacks and 3rd person camera are always better played with a controller. Also driving without analog control of your acceleration seems like it would be hard to keep your car from reaching high speeds which is asking for trouble.
Last edited by Funkhauzer on Oct 11, 2013, 11:48:55 AM
"
Funkhauzer wrote:
Yea I highly recommend playing with an Xbox or PS3 controller. There is a huge demand for keyboard and mouse support but personally these types of games with combo attacks and 3rd person camera are always better played with a controller. Also driving without analog control of your acceleration seems like it would be hard to keep your car from reaching high speeds which is asking for trouble.

I disagree, 3rd person game controls on kb+m is perfectly fine and in most cases far more superior then a controller. I think there's a lot more freedom, precision and can be smoother or quicker to response when using mouse to control the camera.
Now I guess you just aren't used to or tried enough playing 3rd person games on kb+m, but I had no problems with many of 100+ 3rd person games, that I have played over the years... Not to mention aiming with guns is far better with a mouse :)
Driving with kb+m is fine too, problem in SoD is that the car physics are too floaty, which the Devs also mention it was a problem that they're fixing soon.
Sweeping Maid
Last edited by nzrock on Oct 11, 2013, 1:32:05 PM
"
nzrock wrote:
"
Funkhauzer wrote:

I disagree, 3rd person game controls on kb+m is perfectly fine and in most cases far more superior then a controller. I think there's a lot more freedom, precision and can be smoother or quicker to response when using mouse to control the camera.
Now I guess you just aren't used to or tried enough playing 3rd person games on kb+m, but I had no problems with many of 100+ 3rd person games, that I have played over the years... Not to mention aiming with guns is far better with a mouse :)
Driving with kb+m is fine too, problem in SoD is that the car physics are too floaty, which the Devs also mention it was a problem that they're fixing soon.

I agree with your points but my hangups about keyboards is when you need to press buttons for combos while also holding down keys to move. It just feels more natural using a controller for me.

Aiming on a controller is a whole different than a mouse. I usually strafe aim. Like move my character to line up my crossair with an enemies head. Not even close to mouse accuracy but it works for single player games.

I will never ever ever play a FPS with a controller though. Worst experience possible.
Last edited by Funkhauzer on Oct 11, 2013, 1:59:58 PM
"
Funkhauzer wrote:
"
nzrock wrote:
"
Funkhauzer wrote:

I agree with your points but my hangups about keyboards is when you need to press buttons for combos while also holding down keys to move. It just feels more natural using a controller for me.

Aiming on a controller is a whole different than a mouse. I usually strafe aim. Like move my character to line up my crossair with an enemies head. Not even close to mouse accuracy but it works for single player games.

I will never ever ever play a FPS with a controller though. Worst experience possible.

Combo moves right now is hard to pull of on keyboard, is because there's no proper support for it yet and the controls are still using controller buttons.
Like many other 3rd person action games, those keys will be fixed, eg. Stealth kill will just be the E key. I guess you didn't think about it like that huh? /semi-facepalm

Yeah I'm forced to strafe aim too, because there's no proper support yet :/
Sweeping Maid
"
nzrock wrote:

Combo moves right now is hard to pull of on keyboard, is because there's no proper support for it yet and the controls are still using controller buttons.
Like many other 3rd person action games, those keys will be fixed, eg. Stealth kill will just be the E key. I guess you didn't think about it like that huh? /semi-facepalm

Yeah I'm forced to strafe aim too, because there's no proper support yet :/

No matter you are still holding down a movement key and have to press another key to preform an action with the same hand. Using analog stick for movement and having your other hand have access to several buttons is what I was talking about. With these games you need to bind several attacks to different keys you'll be using like 4 keys to preform special attacks so not only E but 3 other buttons. Plus some can only be used while sprinting so now you are holding down W and sprint key AND the kick key. See where I'm getting at here? There are just too many actions for the small amount of keys near the WASD layout on a keyboard.
Last edited by Funkhauzer on Oct 15, 2013, 10:42:59 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info