For those interested in making Uniques..

I like the idea about mixing things in game. So why not a weapon which scales damage with Mana?

EDIT1: As suggested in Reddit, some changes have been made.

"The strong, hits heavier.
The smart, acts better.
The skillful, wonder forever.
The trickster? He does it all. At least, the people believe that he does."
Last edited by DiogoStone on Aug 29, 2014, 9:13:25 AM
Brainstorming... (didn't make a fancy little graphic version tho)

Purpose of the Unique:
Satisfy the niche player-base desire for the ability to dual wield shields. This solution should enable that without the disruption in game balance that would come from any number of combinations of existing shields.

I'd actually suggest a series of this unique that fills different shield roles.
This is the offensive close combat shield-bashing type. (could have a caster's version - floaty orbs, defensive version - may be a dual tower shield unique that takes both weapon slots rather than gloves, even a minion version)

The concept (stats may include some or all of the listed effects):

Armor (based on Gloves - Ancient Gauntlets)
Name: Pinions of Solaris
Level 44

Armor: 800 (Remember: this takes the 2 weapon & the gloves slots, if anything, this is low)
(Perhaps there would be a way to scale this with current armor from other slots, or strength)

Chance to block: 50% (or slightly higher)

Reflects 200-400 physical damage to attackers. (may be low... depending on restrictions; if this is the only source of damage, it's low) Perhaps increase damage based on total armor rating OR the enemy's damage before mitigation. Critical hits possible?
Damage could scale off passive tree using axe, claw and shield nodes.

Reflects (some%) spell damage to caster; plus 5% chance to reflect curses back to casters.

25% reduced enemy stun threshold. (you're bashing them upside the head with shields)
I hope enemies can be stunned by reflected damage, otherwise, this stat is useless.

All elemental resists +30%

Blocks restore flask charges. (OR instant life recovery of partial damage that would have been done had it not been blocked) (meant to be a face-tank item)

Maybe add:
Gems in this item are supported by "Cast when Damage Taken" "Level ?"
OR (new)
Gems are supported by "Cast on block"
SOME sort of gem support would be welcome because they lose out on so many slots.
(Maybe empower? More efficient gems in the 4 slots they do get)

Flavor bonus: Light radius does not decrease with loss of life or energy shield.

Two options for an essential feature: the Restricted Equipment Rule:
1) Cannot equip weapons or shields (in my opinion, too restrictive gem-slot-wise)
2) Can only equip claws in either hand. This would mimic the style of combat I'd envision with shield combat... but might not please purists for this concept.

Appearance: Golden Talon-like Gauntlets with large golden wings extending from either side of both forearms (Thumb edge and opposite), with "wing shoulders" extending past the fist and the pinions curving and tapering back in toward the elbows forming a mostly round, oblong shield with sharp wing edges like axe-heads.

Flavor text:
Favored with Solaris' protection,
her warriors blazed into battle,
burning away the darkness.

Oh well, just brainstorming. I don't know the math very well.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info