Why desync is fixable:

Just a question...

In PoE multiplayer, there are communications between players or each player communicate only with server?

[Sorry if it has been answered before]
Roma timezone (Italy)
"
SL4Y3R wrote:
As has been said before. Your suggestion introduces a noticeable delay. This is by design. When you slave the client to the server, this is the end result. No desync, but less responsive gameplay. Case in point, I refuse to play on EU servers unless my arm is twisted. Even though the additional latency is only 100ms, it makes the game horrid.

Ill pass.

Sorry, but do you read what we wrote before? With good servers it is possible to have a 25-50ms delay and that isn't noticable at all. AoS/MOBA games have a huge pro scene, do you really think that pro players, in games were ms can decide a situation, will play a game that isn't responsive? Sorry again, but your argument is only viable if there are shitty servers, shitty internet connections or you live in sibiria without any internet at all.
With decent servers and a normal connection (pretty much everything over 1k speed) you won't even realize the latency.

You cry about something that was never tested and got shut down with shitty arguments like yours, for no good reason, because it definitly works for even more responsive games (or does anyone think a game like CounterStrike doesn't have to be responsive?).
Isn't pretty much the entire problem of desync due to the netcode being made entirely wrong for a game this fast.
IGN: Asser, AssDelver, Assphobic, AnointedAss, BetrayedByMyAss, CrackedAss, FracturedAss, FulcrumedUpMyAss, ImpaledAss, IncursionOfTheAss, WarForTheAss, UnleashTheAss, ScreamingAsshole, SwampAssKing, Yui
Last edited by Wooser69 on Sep 13, 2013, 6:52:53 AM
"
DE3me wrote:
With good servers it is possible to have a 25-50ms delay and that isn't noticable at all.
With good servers, desync wouldn't really be a problem, either.

It's a good thing good servers grow on trees, and all Chris Wilson has to do is take a trip to the good server orchard.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
"
DE3me wrote:
With good servers it is possible to have a 25-50ms delay and that isn't noticable at all.

It's a good thing good servers grow on trees, and all Chris Wilson has to do is take a trip to the good server orchard.

If your integration or state is garbage and not synched well or often enough due to relying on prediction, as is the case with PoE (imo), a 1ms ping would still be fucked due to divergence caused by all sorts of discontinuities (inputs, collisions, etc).

Your base error (or entropy as it's known) easily explodes over time. It still fucks out horribly at times, even with low pings and great connections, doesn't it? (I can't personally, honestly say, since I've only ever been able to play with a high and/or unstable ping, but this from other people, videos and my relatively basic understanding of the architecture)

Ideally, low latency, high frequency for best cases, any reliance on prediction should be minimized.

High latency, low frequency for worst cases, prediction could be used more aggressively.
"
DE3me wrote:
"
SL4Y3R wrote:
As has been said before. Your suggestion introduces a noticeable delay. This is by design. When you slave the client to the server, this is the end result. No desync, but less responsive gameplay. Case in point, I refuse to play on EU servers unless my arm is twisted. Even though the additional latency is only 100ms, it makes the game horrid.

Ill pass.

Sorry, but do you read what we wrote before? With good servers it is possible to have a 25-50ms delay and that isn't noticable at all. AoS/MOBA games have a huge pro scene, do you really think that pro players, in games were ms can decide a situation, will play a game that isn't responsive? Sorry again, but your argument is only viable if there are shitty servers, shitty internet connections or you live in sibiria without any internet at all.
With decent servers and a normal connection (pretty much everything over 1k speed) you won't even realize the latency.

You cry about something that was never tested and got shut down with shitty arguments like yours, for no good reason, because it definitly works for even more responsive games (or does anyone think a game like CounterStrike doesn't have to be responsive?).

Except all of those games you listed, the vast majority of the tournaments (at least the ones worth a shit and with prize pools $10k+) are on a lan, where there is absolutely no delay, and that's because even 25-50ms does make a difference to an experienced player.
"
Septile wrote:

Except all of those games you listed, the vast majority of the tournaments (at least the ones worth a shit and with prize pools $10k+) are on a lan, where there is absolutely no delay, and that's because even 25-50ms does make a difference to an experienced player.

Ehm, no. These games doesn't even have a Lan mode (yet). I think LoL added a Lan mode this or last Year and DotA 2 doesn't have Lan mode (yet). (For The International they use an extra Server just for tournament games, all other tournaments, even on lan are played on standard servers.)
Not to sure about CS:GO, but considering it is run by Valve it may be probably the same like DotA 2.

"
ScrotieMcB wrote:

That is only partial true, because the mechanic they use is a guessing game. That means that even with a perfect server - pc connection there is a possibility for desync. That desync wouldn't be that huge, but still be there, because you can guess wrong anytime.
Last edited by DE3me on Sep 13, 2013, 7:29:57 AM
"
Septile wrote:
"
DE3me wrote:
"
SL4Y3R wrote:

Ill pass.

I like when people talk facts out of their ass.
IGN: Smegacore
"
battled wrote:

The thing is that GGG doesn't even need to discuss or respond, because they have their fanboys that yell at everyone and facts doens't matter it seems.
Last edited by DE3me on Sep 13, 2013, 2:21:48 PM
"
DE3me wrote:
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:

That is only partial true, because the mechanic they use is a guessing game. That means that even with a perfect server - pc connection there is a possibility for desync. That desync wouldn't be that huge, but still be there, because you can guess wrong anytime.
Then explain GGPO, which is hailed as the ultimate lag fix for fighting games and works so well precisely because it uses a prediction-based netcode. Except you can't. Like I said earlier, the real problem here is how often the client receives messages, which has to do with how the server sends messages to the client — frequency, protocol, and bandwidth. Waiting vs prediction isn't really that huge of a factor, and actually (accurate) prediction is preferred over waiting. In other words...
"
battled wrote:
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info