Have a glimpse of the market and How to make wealth in PoE.

"
"
tmaciak wrote:
Congratulation Inexium, in one post you described exactly what I hate most in this game and what I don't want to take part in.

What saddens me most though is, that even if I choose to ignore this part of game, such activities will still spoil my gameplay, as Master Merchant will be afraid, that raising orbs drops to enable self-founders to craft would broke his precious "economy"...
QFT
Any "Master Merchant" who has such a fear isn't in fact a master merchant, but simply someone who's found an arbitrage technique that works... and is afraid he'd be unable to find a new one if his current technique was made less profitable.

On the other hand, a true master trader relishes metagame changes and market shifts. Change brings opportunity, and the more drastic the change, both the higher the risk and the higher the potential reward. Someone who's very confident with their trading skills will take in on with courage and enthusiasm: "challenge accepted."

GGG shouldn't be worried about various changes impacting the "master merchants," they're resilient enough to withstand most anything thrown at them, with the sole exception of account-bound schemes (making items actually untradeable destroys arbitrage opportunities). Actually, they should make trading even more skill-intensive, allowing the clever for great opportunities at arbitrage if they're creative enough to find them.
Discussion/proposals re: current issues in trading (and trading vs crafting balance):
Problem: Ease of evaluation. Think of various ARPGs — Diablo 2 and 3, Path of Exile, whichever others you have played — and think about the task of looking at a stash and trying to reduce it down to a single number. That number might have units of gold, or high runes, or Exalts; the unit of currency doesn't matter, the point is the process of boiling down items to trade values. How easy or difficult that process is gives you an idea of the ease of evaluation in the game. Good ARPG trading rewards evaluation skill by making this process rather difficult, leading to major disagreements on item value even by skilled traders; bad ARPG trading oversimplifies this process to the point where determining an item's value is as easy as looking it up in some index. What killed trading in Diablo 3 wasn't vast amounts of auction house arbitrage, but precisely the opposite — that the auction house simplified trading to the point that arbitrage quickly became nearly impossible.

Solution: Item/affix diversity through build diversity. This is actually a two-parter. First, there need to a be a lot of different, viable builds throughout the game. The more the build metagame isolates itself towards a small handful of builds, the more affixes for those builds are seen as "good" and affixes not for those builds seen as "bad." Instead, there should be no right or wrong answer on any one particular affix, and it's the combination of affixes which determines the value of the item — in other words, evaluation based on internal synergy. Second and most importantly, builds need to have particular affixes or items tied closely to them; a Diablo 3 system where all Wizards want to be wearing essentially the same items, even if their builds are radically different, is not the system you want. Done right, and evaluations become largely personal, based on build preference and thus more difficult to compare directly.

Complication: Orb general utility. Imagine three very different builds in Path of Exile — let's say melee Marauder, bow-wielding Ranger, and spell-slinging Witch. Now think about how build dependent the various orbs are for each. Does any of those builds want Exalted Orbs more than another? Fusings? Orbs of Chance? There might be some small differences, but generally all builds want orbs equally. This is a very bad thing for item diversity; two traders might have difficulty agreeing on the proper price for a rare weapon, but have little difficulty establishing an exchange ratio between two currencies... which is why traders have been doing it relatively easily since closed beta. I've submitted a few suggestions on how to fix this in the past, but I do not wish to repeat them here — I now doubt they would work. Stumped, I suppose I'll have to leave this particular problem unsolved.

Specific suggestion: Give maps intrinsic mods. Right now maps have a general utility problem similar to orbs, but it's a lot easier to fix: make the maps more build-dependent by adding implicit mods to maps that favor some builds while hampering others. For example, a map with "+x% increased monster accuracy" would be more challenging for evasion-based characters... but the x doesn't have to be so big that diverse groups couldn't bring their evasion guy along (after all, each of them would have maps they're weak in, so everyone would take turns getting carried). Revamping the map affix system to be less "flat bonus" and more build-dependent would also be a good thing, although the primary focus with map affixes, above all else, should be fun, new, difficult challenges.

As far as "self-found" goes: The only legitimate complaint self-founders have is that, when you're farming, the game currently feeds you far more "tradeables" — stuff that you can trade away for somewhere from 1 Fusing to a few Chaos — than it gives actual currency. The solution is simple: increase currency drop rates and simultaneously reduce item rarity (or perhaps quantity of non-orb items). Done right, and the game wouldn't really be any easier or harder, because you'd get the same farming value/hour; however, those who don't trade would be better equipped to craft their own gear.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Sep 11, 2013, 9:47:47 AM
exalt droprates does not have increased and your dagger isnt worth it unless you can get crit on it. ;-) as you cant roll a critchance anymore, dont waste eternals on this.
Last edited by NomadFX on Sep 11, 2013, 9:58:50 AM
"
reboticon wrote:
Again, POE economy just mirrors the real world. The guy who physically assembles in item (equal to the guy that finds an item in POE) usually makes less than the guy who sells the item.

Which certainly explains why the world (the real one) is in such a piss-poor state right now, ruled by inhuman finance/banks...

I play games for fun, not to reproduce the same pathetic capitalistic horrors that are plaguing the world.

The OP has written a nice "guide", but as it was stated several times, I don't consider continuous trading as part of the game. This procures as little fun as it does IRL. Waste of my free time...
"
Inexium wrote:
Very good comments.

What about buying a Soul Taker 17-20 ex on Ana and wait till you cann sell 25-30 on Standard, is there any risk ?

As for scamming/ripping off :

IRL don't we live the same stuff ? Some people write WTS IPHONE : XXX$, bought much much cheaper ( crafted with cheap whetstones ) using an army of underpaid workers. You can choose to be the CEO of APPLE or the buyer of IPHONES.

Or.. maybe, is there a third solution ?

It is like Apple,and it is why the world is in a such bad place
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/417287 - Poutsos Flicker Nuke Shadow
"
Inexium wrote:
i thought i might try to collect all the ways you can acquire wealth on PoE, to help players get an idea. I, personnaly, would have loved to read this in the past when i was new.

Brilliant! Ty for the efforts
I known Inexium for some time now he is a rly nice guy i dont consider that so much trading is fun or good but as he said and i understand he wished some items set him self a goal and went apeshit on the economy of the game.

Trading and making wealth for WHAT U NEED is rly simple other then that is just a overkill,i gave so many items and orbs to ppl that i dont know the number of anymore but i do it only with ppl i realize that they dont know the game but when i see some1 lowballing me i refuse to sell no matter what the price is.

The main problem i have with the economy of this game is ppl dont wanna pay not even close to the amount what item is worth and that like 80% of the population or more,or they dont want to learn nothing noobs that called me all kind of names when i was selling some "overpriced" item and i sell it for even more then i asked.

A lot of new players need to take their time and learn about this game what works for what build dont just google Kripp and copy a build guy stopped playing i think so no more help from him try to make a build or search a similar build and make ur own READ THE TALENT NODES so u actually know what they are for dont be idiots that just copy a build and then troll in trade.

I can say and i am not bragging i helped at least 10 players called them on my Ventrilo gave them some gear explained them the guidelines and basics of this game tryed to make something like a "guild" etc.

Older players have to help the new ones then we will all be much happier in game and in trade much less lowballing and all of that,sadly for me i see only lowballing and lowering the prices of items and calling ppl idiots coz they ask for this and that,no1 is paying for items easily anymore and thats coz of RMT or ppl just being ignorant.Only few items are still traded for what they are worth or at least close to it.

I went off tracks all i wanted to say Inexium is a nice guy and he had the best intention to learn some new players how to trade and how to make some orbs while doing it
There's no school like old school, and I'm the fucking headmaster.
This is the thriving reason why I decided to build POETradeChat

I used to not play the game really. I used to sit and trade all day long. Before /trade # command, I noticed the game was partitioned in chat, and I realized that when I switch way points from TOWN to TOWN through out the difficulties, I would connect to a new trade chat. So I took that too my advantage. I had one Character (IamMoe) that had all three difficulties and areas in each unlocked.

So I would go to Act 1 Lioneye.
Type in Chat "WTB Deathharp"
Go to every Town way point available to me, and re post the message. I literally get 10 people every rotation linking me death harps. I pick like 5 of the best and cheapest ones- buy them for two chaos each - some times 3.

Then I would do the same method to sell them one by one. (WALL OF TEXT DOES NOT WORK)
I would get a lot of people PMing me doing this. I would sell 1 - 2 Gcp each (the good rolls). I would make 4-5 exalted a day doing this alone, with death harps. [And because I knew I had an unfair advantage, I donated all my currency everyday :) ]

I also flipped currency when it was all over the place. I honestly think I drove the exalted price up in one night lol.

I then made a service called "TheTradingService" Where I helped people find the specific items they want, by spamming trade the way I did.

No one ever caught on.

But then I wanted to go bigger. I wanted to see all the trade chats, and this is where POEtradechat comes it. I actually had it work before /trade # - and I also made it send messages to all the servers. But people didn't like it and I was shutdown.

Second time around with a little bit of tweaking and some blessing from GGG - POEtradechat is alive.

HAPPY TRADING MY FRIEND!

He brings life from the dead
So, AH or no AH. Trading is still the most efficient way to collect wealth, instead of playing the game and killing monsters.
Holy ***t Dotmoe! It's you

Nice, i see that you are lurking the forum like 50% of the players ;)

Impressive my friend IMPRESSIVE! And yeah i thought about making the "TheTradingService" but did not try it yet ( now i know )

I have several suggestions i would like you to put on your website, i have questions aswell if you dont mind.

Thanks for your effort btw!

@BackwoodsS

Welcome.

@TrueGdark :

There should be an army of my friends protecting me on forum :D Thx for the nice comment^^

Spoiler
"
reboticon wrote:

Trading is an art, and one I am particularly terrible at. What I did was take my good non-unique finds, and give them to a very good trader friend to sell. Then he would keep about 1/3rd of the total profit. To both of us, it felt like we were getting a great deal, because to him it was free money for a little time worth selling, and for me it was free money for an item I would never have spent the time to sell, because I have zero desire to do so.

Did this happen after i offered you that service then retracted because i found i had less and less time ?

"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
Any "Master Merchant" who has such a fear isn't in fact a master merchant, but simply someone who's found an arbitrage technique that works... and is afraid he'd be unable to find a new one if his current technique was made less profitable.

On the other hand, a true master trader relishes metagame changes and market shifts. Change brings opportunity, and the more drastic the change, both the higher the risk and the higher the potential reward. Someone who's very confident with their trading skills will take in on with courage and enthusiasm: "challenge accepted."

Yeah, as i said some traders would always amaze me. Somone can make 3-4 ex a day by trading death harps.. i don't even!

"
ScrotieMcB wrote:

Discussion/proposals re: current issues in trading (and trading vs crafting balance):

Solution: Item/affix diversity through build diversity. This is actually a two-parter. First, there need to a be a lot of different, viable builds throughout the game. The more the build metagame isolates itself towards a small handful of builds, the more affixes for those builds are seen as "good" and affixes not for those builds seen as "bad." Instead, there should be no right or wrong answer on any one particular affix, and it's the combination of affixes which determines the value of the item — in other words, evaluation based on internal synergy. Second and most importantly, builds need to have particular affixes or items tied closely to them; a Diablo 3 system where all Wizards want to be wearing essentially the same items, even if their builds are radically different, is not the system you want. Done right, and evaluations become largely personal, based on build preference and thus more difficult to compare directly.

Oh no man no more mods !! DO you want us to become crazy with a million no good rares :D ?

"
ScrotieMcB wrote:

Complication: Orb general utility. Imagine three very different builds in Path of Exile — let's say melee Marauder, bow-wielding Ranger, and spell-slinging Witch. Now think about how build dependent the various orbs are for each. Does any of those builds want Exalted Orbs more than another? Fusings? Orbs of Chance? There might be some small differences, but generally all builds want orbs equally. This is a very bad thing for item diversity; two traders might have difficulty agreeing on the proper price for a rare weapon, but have little difficulty establishing an exchange ratio between two currencies... which is why traders have been doing it relatively easily since closed beta. I've submitted a few suggestions on how to fix this in the past, but I do not wish to repeat them here — I now doubt they would work. Stumped, I suppose I'll have to leave this particular problem unsolved.

Woh currencies class based, sound exciting actually

"
ScrotieMcB wrote:

Specific suggestion: Give maps intrinsic mods. Right now maps have a general utility problem similar to orbs, but it's a lot easier to fix: make the maps more build-dependent by adding implicit mods to maps that favor some builds while hampering others. For example, a map with "+x% increased monster accuracy" would be more challenging for evasion-based characters... but the x doesn't have to be so big that diverse groups couldn't bring their evasion guy along (after all, each of them would have maps they're weak in, so everyone would take turns getting carried). Revamping the map affix system to be less "flat bonus" and more build-dependent would also be a good thing, although the primary focus with map affixes, above all else, should be fun, new, difficult challenges.

Awesome! But i know GGG don't want you to play 1 single char indefinitely , they want you to try other builds, and they want maps to be difficult to roll.

[/quote]
Anarchy/Onslaught T-Shirt Owner.
Trading Guide : http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/519890
Killing Vaal merc with (600 life) : http://is.gd/qsgV9P [Open Beta]
Let's be Crazy: http://is.gd/TxxLsS / Old Suggestion: http://is.gd/Jd09W0
<< God blesses those who bless themselves >>
Last edited by Inexium on Sep 12, 2013, 1:47:17 PM
"
Inexium wrote:

Did this happen after i offered you that service then retracted because i found i had less and less time ?

Yah, I found another good seller who liked the idea ^^
Anarchy/Onslaught T shirt
Domination/Nemesis T shirt
Tempest/War Bands T shirt

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info