Have a glimpse of the market and How to make wealth in PoE.

I was very poor once.

I was wondering what the hell was an EX or.. oh nvm ( i would not even dare to think about it : A mirror )

Then i got lucky. That's all.

I wrote this thread to TRY to help all the old me, first and second to make all of you aware of what's happening ( evil market guys ) I wonder if those evil are related to RMT :p

"
Kirielis wrote:

I have one last method to share. Make contacts. Make friends. Friends can give you bro deals on things, but more importantly, friends can get you into maps. Anyone who regularly uses their friends-list status message to fill spots in high maps or MF runs is going to be your new best friend. Examples: "running mazed 77 6 chaos buy in", "3 spots left for 71s, 100iiq 240iir", etc. People, including myself, have made exalts off selling ilvl gear from other people's maps.

Woh i am gonna add this, thanks for the sharing ( Now i know who are the guys that sell white craft items rather than get a full stash of rares )
I was wondering to compare : High level MAP price VS selling its white items, and always thought you can't win anything doing this.. even your loss would be not that diminished.

"
cavespro wrote:
wait til you can trade through the forums or some dumb shit and the people who have no life at work, will work the forums trade market the entire day, making it where the people who actually work and cant get online at work even poorer hehe

Good observation :

I started to know what is going on the forum when i had a work of 2 weeks ( yeah i don't have a daily work.. but that's me)
I checked teh forum and opened every selling thread rofl

"
kleptrec wrote:
Most of these methods require close attention to the market, knowing the value of various items, or spending a lot of time trading. In other words, spending a lot of time doing things other than fighting monsters and collecting loot. This doesn't help casual players or those who are new to the game.

Sad thing is thats basically you how make money, unless you get a really lucky drop

Well, i was "casual" and i did not pay that much attention to the trading stuff.. or at least, i could not keep it up with what was happening.

I offer casuals these :

- Do not get attached to your items, sell them.
- Get as much currency as you can, as fast as possible ( read 1 )
- Play maps : you will find exalts.

I offer non casuals :

- 1 little more idea of what their fellow players are doing
- A protection against evil people ( lol )

"
Pacrian wrote:
"
dlinnij wrote:
This is one evil thread xD

That's exactly what I thought!
Wish there was another way just to play and enjoy. But sometimes you gotta do what needs to be done.

Evil may cry now :)

"
Fluffhead wrote:
Play > get drops > maybe craft something out of luck > profit

That was a huge wall of text to explain something that is so simple.

NO. Trade > play.
Anarchy/Onslaught T-Shirt Owner.
Trading Guide : http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/519890
Killing Vaal merc with (600 life) : http://is.gd/qsgV9P [Open Beta]
Let's be Crazy: http://is.gd/TxxLsS / Old Suggestion: http://is.gd/Jd09W0
<< God blesses those who bless themselves >>
Reminds me of why people want a self found league so much.

Trading > playing the actual game
Standard Forever
Thanks for taking the time to write all of that up. The market can be very frustrating, especially for new users. I've had to learn this over months and months...and months of game play.
IGN: Standard: Feugue, Domination: KaomsDisciple
"
Inexium wrote:

3) You must have a knowledge of known prices and UNKNOWN NEW updated prices.

People will always have an idea of what an item is priced and don't tend to think that the price may have changed between the time he saw selling and the time he got it himself.

Example : A shavronne's wrappings was selling : 20-25 ex if not linked at the beginning of Anarchy league.
25-30 for a 5 linked one
and 30-40 for a 6Linked one.

Prices have evolved this way (right now ) : Non linked 37-38ex
5L linked 38-41 ex
6L linked 60-70 ex.

So what do you do ?
You are lucky enought to find a seller of a shavronne's before others and buy it from him quickly. He might think 25 ex is a great deal.
You negociate and try to Buyout at 24 ex he agree. And you sell it for 35-37 ex. You made profit ;)

I skimmed most of the thread but this stood out. At first glance it may appear as if you've made a massive amount of profit by holding onto an item like shavs; however, this may not be entirely accurate. You have to remember that the purchasing power of an exalted orb is incredibly high when a league begins. Conversely, as the league persists inflation runs rampant and the purchasing power of an exalted orb falls dramatically. So while you may have a larger number of orbs, the quality and quantity of items you're able to purchase with said orbs may be similar to, or even less than, what would have been possible at the beginning of the league with the initial investment of 25-30 exalt (ignoring the fact items take time to be found/crafted). This perceived increase in opulence is also known as the "wealth effect". Certainly real profit is possible, but it's not to the extreme as stated above.

What you have shown is that buying highly desirable items, such as a shavs, is the best way to safeguard your purchasing power from inevitable inflation.

Other than my minor qualm, it's a nice write up for someone fresh to the game/genre.

Thank you i just remembered what i wanted to add :

19) Prepare for the end of a league ( in this case : Anarchy )

Some players are still buying exalts for 20-16 gcp ( 20 gcp hardly )

You can buy as much Gcps as you can, and wait till Anarchy merge into Standard. Now you can convert your gcps to standard exalt's ( i believe the rate is 1:13 ? )

_

Something important you said is the value of an exalt/chaos.

It's true a few weeks ago, 1 ex was 40-60 chaos BUT teh shavs were also selling for huge amount of exalts. Because everyone needed them for Challenges/achivements.

You had to sell the shavs, and sell the ex to chaos. Now i undertand more and more why some people don't accept only chaos.

Could you elaborate more.. this seems to be interesting.
Anarchy/Onslaught T-Shirt Owner.
Trading Guide : http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/519890
Killing Vaal merc with (600 life) : http://is.gd/qsgV9P [Open Beta]
Let's be Crazy: http://is.gd/TxxLsS / Old Suggestion: http://is.gd/Jd09W0
<< God blesses those who bless themselves >>
Sadly, playing high maps is one of the worst ways to generate stable currency unless you spend a lot of time micromanaging whites.
IGN: Arlianth
Check out my LA build: 1782214
"
Inexium wrote:
Thank you i just remembered what i wanted to add :

19) Prepare for the end of a league ( in this case : Anarchy )

Some players are still buying exalts for 20-16 gcp ( 20 gcp hardly )

You can buy as much Gcps as you can, and wait till Anarchy merge into Standard. Now you can convert your gcps to standard exalt's ( i believe the rate is 1:13 ? )

_

Something important you said is the value of an exalt/chaos.

It's true a few weeks ago, 1 ex was 40-60 chaos BUT teh shavs were also selling for huge amount of exalts. Because everyone needed them for Challenges/achivements.

You had to sell the shavs, and sell the ex to chaos. Now i undertand more and more why some people don't accept only chaos.

Could you elaborate more.. this seems to be interesting.

Your recommendation to convert exalt to gcp is a great example of temporary profitability due to arbitrage. Those quickest to trade when the leagues merge will be able to reap the rewards from the unknowing. Unfortunately the price discrepancy will only last so long in which case the ratios will converge and a "steady" price will become the new standard. I highly doubt standard league's gcp:exalt ratio will appreciate when the two economies merge so I'd consider converting anarchy exalts to gcp an investment of minimal risk until you're unable to get ~16:1. Once anarchy rates reach 16-15gcp:1 the benefits of converting become marginalized, especially if you are not one of the first few traders.

I can't be certain of an answer to your question regarding the appreciation of anarchy chaos orbs as it could be a multitude of factors. However, in late July/early August I noticed the chaos:exalt ratio falling. Additionally, I was selling higher level maps much faster than I previously had been. From my own analysis I would presume that more people were running 73+ maps and demanding additional chaos. Other possibilities could be that fewer people were/are currently playing anarchy, or that the ~55-60chaos:exalt ratio was unsustainable.

As for your final point about about people needing their achievements. It's certainly possible the shavs market was being propped up by a certain few, but I would wager the price drop is more in line with fewer players and a steadily increasing supply. While investing in such an item is a safeguard to inflation, it is by no means a safe haven.
Last edited by Mouchi on Sep 10, 2013, 11:54:14 PM
That's how to scam people guide. Nothing suprising there, buy low, sell high.
I hate all of those people searching forums for 2 hours to find something which can be sold for profit.

WTB real trading system, where you can find items, compare prices, not being scammed, and all of this in game not in some external web searcher.

All of rich people in this game are RNG luckers or what's more likely scammers (find low, sell high, fuck the seller and the buyer at same time). That really really sucks, if you need to spend your time searching forums instead of playing game to get rich.

More in-depth guides how-to-scam-people please...

^

Nailed it.
BLAMT!
Scamming =/= ripping off

Scamming = trading with someone, and you somehow managed to exchange the item without exchanging yours. Not only do you still have your item, but you have theirs.

Ripping off = trading with someone, and managed to profit more than the item is worth.

Sometimes you can take the game out of the garage but you can't take the garage out of the game.
- raics, 06.08.2016

Last edited by JohnNamikaze on Sep 11, 2013, 12:35:50 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info