The secrets/mysteries of RNG cloud and Why you should not ever stop playing after a godly drop. Ep3

I found this a little significant, because as far as I know this armor is at least slightly more rare:

Both dropped today, over less than 2 hours total time mapping.
Confirmation bias. Nobody ever posts something like:
"<insert expensive item> dropped for me today, and wouldn't you believe it, second one DID NOT drop on the same day! OMG crazy, right?"
The more you depend on forces outside yourself, the more you are dominated by them.
--Harold Sherman
"
mruuh wrote:
Confirmation bias. Nobody ever posts something like:
"<insert expensive item> dropped for me today, and wouldn't you believe it, second one DID NOT drop on the same day! OMG crazy, right?"

Well that would be RNG working correctly..

Just another person trolling the thread with no concept of how RNG is not really random.

Honestly it's really bad in this game because everything comes in streaks. If every drop was randomized you wouldn't have a few day streaks of the same unique dropping, then another for a few days.

That means RNG in this game is more like 'randomized significantly every so often' and not completely on each drop. The entire premise of the thread which you seem not to grasp.

Well, theoretically it is possible that their random number generator is just starved of entropy, but I find that highly unlikely, as something that serious would affect many more areas of the game. I stand by my opinion above - you only hear about those low-probability streaks, never about how such streaks don't happen.

Just like many people complain on a forum about a game, but very few come to say how happy they are with the game. Should we therefore conclude that the game sucks, because we only see criticism and complaints?
(I don't mean POE forums specifically, but forums for any game.)
The more you depend on forces outside yourself, the more you are dominated by them.
--Harold Sherman
Last edited by mruuh on Apr 16, 2014, 10:43:33 AM
Well people do in fact come to the forums to state RNG is working perfectly. You are one of many who dismiss the constant appearance of streaks in this game as pure chance.

The repeatability of the system is obvious when quickly applying orbs on items, rerolling them with alts, and every unique coming in week long multiple occurences.

You shrug this off as something bound to happen but it is noted by most players who care to pay attention to it, and it occurs far, far more often than probability dictates it should.
MIND = BLOWN

I was reading this thread, and I had different feelings about it. I'm not sure if I have to believe that there is some kind of "pattern", but it does sound strange that certain item drops within a specific amount of time.

So I went back to one more piety run; guess what; alpha's howl drops. What a fucking coincidence!

Thank you RNG!!!
"
fgcewoud wrote:
MIND = BLOWN

I was reading this thread, and I had different feelings about it. I'm not sure if I have to believe that there is some kind of "pattern", but it does sound strange that certain item drops within a specific amount of time.

So I went back to one more piety run; guess what; alpha's howl drops. What a fucking coincidence!

Thank you RNG!!!

Why? Is this like a second alpha's howl drop from here?
Good vaal orbs : http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/840813
Bad ones : http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/812199
Why? http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/854397(I got an answer)
There, a pattern has emerged! How to get uniques: 1. Read this thread. 2. Go farm Piety. 3. ??? 4. Profit!
--Harold Sherman
Just stumbled upon this thread.

And I have a story for you:

Me and my colleague in a map - there were about 10 monsters left in that map. Boss and a few blues around. I have killed a blue mob and unique ring dropped, assigned for me. Then we finished the boss and it dropped another unique ring for my friend.

When we identified them, they were exactly the same Blackheart rings. But exactly, absolutely same rolls.

Weird...
"
Fatalflaw wrote:
Well people do in fact come to the forums to state RNG is working perfectly. You are one of many who dismiss the constant appearance of streaks in this game as pure chance.

The repeatability of the system is obvious when quickly applying orbs on items, rerolling them with alts, and every unique coming in week long multiple occurences.

You shrug this off as something bound to happen but it is noted by most players who care to pay attention to it, and it occurs far, far more often than probability dictates it should.

Confirmation bias to the max and defensiveness against people who are rightfully skeptical.
I can tell you that I alt items and don't get consistent results, but nobody seems to come into this thread because they're interested in proof. And while some weeks have more uniques than others, they're usually common and different drops. They're here to talk about lucky streaks.

Your dismissive attitude is not warranted. He's not making claims about the RNG. You're the one claiming that it is slanted in some exceptional way. The burden of proof is on you.
Last edited by DeviantLightning on Apr 18, 2014, 5:28:35 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info