Holy Flame Totem

Can anyone give me some clarification on whether Flame Totem is currently working as intended in 2.1?

I posted a writeup with some calculations over here on reddit but the gist of it is that it seems like I'm not seeing the numbers that were hinted at in the patch notes. I don't know if this is intended, and I'm simply doing the wrong calculations, or if there is a bug/oversight on the numbers when the patch rolled out.

I'll attach a copy of the post here in spoilers for those who need it:
Spoiler
Hey there, guys,

Wondering if anyone can shed some light on this skill, how its numbers are calculated, and how it relates to the 2.1 update.

I know that in the 2.1 patch notes, it was stated that:

"
Flame Totem cast speed has been reduced from 200ms to 250ms. Flame Totem now does 25% less damage at Level 1, up to 24% more damage at Level 20. When combined with the cast speed changes, this now does 40% less DPS at level 1, up to 0% at level 21. It does more damage at levels 22 and beyond.

However, it seems that even those of us with level 21+ FT's saw DPS decreases. I wanted to figure out why, since GGG claimed that at level 21, the effective DPS was supposed to be the same, but I'm not seeing this.

First off, am I correct in assuming that I can simply calculate "average" DPS by averaging the minimum and maximum values for each skill at each particular level?

This means that 2.0 FT had these values:
  • Lv19: 97-145 ~121 @ 5 casts/s (0.2s delay)
  • Lv20: 112-168 ~140 @ 5 casts/s
  • Lv21: 123-185 ~154 @ 5 casts/s
  • Lv22: 136-204 ~170 @ 5 casts/s

2.1 FT's now have, according to the datamined values from poedb (since the Wiki isn't updated yet:)
  • Lv19: 105-157 ~131 @ 4 casts/s (0.25s delay)
  • Lv20: 122-183 ~152.5 @ 4 casts/s
  • Lv21: 136-203 ~169.5 @ 4 casts/s
  • Lv22: 150-225 ~187.5 @ 4 casts/s

I am also assuming that to get the 'average DPS' value, I would simply multiply each average damage value with their associated number of casts per second, to achieve a comparable 'DPS' stat to compare against.

If I have made any mistakes thus far, then please let me know, because that means everything I'm basing the calculations off of is incorrect.

My problem is that I'm not seeing the "24% more" damage at level 20. It's barely 10%, while the cast speed has been reduced 25%. 140 * 1.24 = 173.6 which is closer (and even beyond) the new gem's level 21 value.

Setting that aside, to figure out the relative DPS, I multiplied the damage values with their casts per second:

2.0 FT DPS (5 casts/s:)
  • Lv19: 605
  • Lv20: 700
  • Lv21: 770
  • Lv22: 850

2.1 FT DPS (4 casts/s:)
  • Lv19: 524
  • Lv20: 610
  • Lv21: 678
  • Lv22: 750

At all levels, even the stated 'level 21' seems to do less damage (which I see on my character with a level 20 FT in an Infernal Mantle - Overall listed DPS went down about 2k with no changes before and after the update.) Certainly, I don't see any improvement in the numbers for level 22 either.

Granted, it's in no way bad, as I still do plenty of damage with it, but I am simply confused because what I am seeing does not match up with what I read (and thus what my expectations were set at) in the patch notes.

Is this an oversight / bug, or is this intended and I'm simply calculating things incorrectly?

It's not game- or build-breaking for me personally, but I am certainly confused over the inconsistency I am seeing.

Thanks.
Last edited by DarkRogue_3 on Dec 13, 2015, 2:19:34 PM
I have made the same calculations, and ended up with exactly the same numbers. At level 21 and 22, the base fire damage has been boosted by 10% only, resulting in a net -12% damage. I don't understand the patch notes either.

Plus, you loose a little bit from any added flat damage (in my case added chaos gem and added fire from gear), but this is relatively negligible.
@LordAdagio
Thanks for the followup -- glad I'm not going insane and other people are getting the same numbers. Especially since the patch notes stated a damage increase , or at least damage parity, at these levels I'm concerned that it may be a bug, and wanted GGG to take a look at it.

Unfortunately, for whatever reason, my reddit post got downvoted to hell, so I don't know. Every single time I've tried posting there, it's been summarily ignored or insulted. That community feels somewhat toxic, haha.
R.I.P Flame Totem

Today i re-skilled my Dual Flame Totem 100% Chaos + pure crit.

- tooltip DPS before: 98k with buffs and the 4 second +100% crit node

- tooltip DPS now: 71k with buffs and the 4 second +100% crit node

I must say, i gave my passives more CRIT/MULTIPLIER/CASTSPEED more than it had before patch.

If i would go the same Passivetree as before Patch my tooltip DPS would be much lower.

Even though i added more dps to my tree, my dps still lower than before patch, this Nerf is crazy HUGE.

Flame totem now is useless, no more FUN.

GGG you messed up with this Nerf, check your calculations, im sure this was not intended since you said FT gets buff at end-game but only nerf in earlygame.

So sad this Game nerfs players and buffs monsters, hack&slay applied to monsters instead to Player.
Player has no more FUN is the result now.
One stupid question....

is spell damage not applying to flame totem anymore???? o.O
just started a new flame totem build and spell damage didn't give a raise to dps o.O
Flame Totem's base damage is so low that it's likely a single 10-15% Damage multiplier grants exactly zero Damage. However, it works towards the next point of Damage just fine, don't worry.
Any news on this? The Flame Totem end game dps is still low.
So I got lucky today and vaal'd a lvl20 Flame Totem to be lvl21 in Talisman. Using infernal mantle its lvl22.

Tooltip dps went up by about 1800dps so I was excited. But actual dps seems to have gone down. I have not changed anything else and if I just swap in a lvl19 flame totem clear speed in dried lake feels exactly the same as the lvl21 gem. I just don't understand it and it feels like a bug. Level 90 in Talisman and 93 in standard, have been playing Flame Totem a long time....

Edit: I switched to standard, where I have a flame totem character with 4k less tooltip dps, the exact same fire penetration, and he seems to have at least 2x the clear speed with a lvl20 Flame Totem. Something is definitely off with the lvl21 vaal'd Flame Totem.

Edit 2: Swapped out controlled destruction support gem for added chaos and Tooltip dps went down by 4k but clear speed went back up to normal. Still feels weird because I had the fast clear speed with controlled destruction before, so not sure what changed.
Last edited by Milamber9 on Jan 10, 2016, 12:05:32 PM
I tried out flame totem with an Echo Shrine, and it seemed to echo flames that the totem was casting! Pretty nifty.

Can anyone confirm whether this is what was actually happening?

And if it was happening, does anyone know why spell echo doesn't work with flame totem's flames?
(Is it because the flame isn't a spell? But in that case, why does it deal spell damage?)
Face it, all of your suggestions are worse than this idea:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/657756
Spell Echo doesn't work with Totems (it was explicitly a buff for hardcasting) - that doesn't mean that Repeat X doesn't work. The Echoing shrine simply applies to everything, even Skills that normally cannot Repeat.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info