Self-Found (League) [Thread outdated!]

nvm
Last edited by Nightmare90 on Aug 27, 2013, 7:33:08 PM
I can give my current thoughts on self found.

In the existing leagues, there is nothing stopping anyone from playing self-found, and we know many of our players do. We also have players that only engage rarely with other players, trading and partying occasionally.

So, as you can play self found in an existing league, I doubt we need to separate out the leagues. The question then is, are there progression problems with self found. I think there are two parts to this:

Can you play through self found? Currently there are issues with this, especially around the 40s. One of the main problems here is the availability of 4-linked items. Gear progression gets hard here, as replacement gear requires both beating existing gear in stats, and in skill support. This isn't usually an issue earlier, as you aren't needing full skill sets, and can skimp on stats and still progress quickly.

If we are going to make changes, it will likely be on the ability to make or the availability of 4 linked items.

The second issue is, what is the player expectation of self-found play. In general the main issue comes when players look to the top of ladders and to streamers to direct what their play experience would be like. This gives players a very distorted view of what they should be able to achieve. In general these players are pushing every advantage they can from trade, long play, group play.

Often, when I get told - "everyone is doing X", and I have a look, there are often only a handful of people doing, its just often these are the most visible. An example of this is 6-link Shavronne's. If I look at over level 90 characters, in all leagues, played in the last month, well under 50 players have Shavronne's Wrappings equipped. And if I look at the stats, if you want to die, wear a Shavronne's.

We will not be making a league to make it possible to replicate the play of these players. 1) We don't think its needed. 2) From past experience, if we make accommodations to make it possible to replicate these players, these players will still beat you. If we made a self found league with competitive advantages but solo play, you'll see the same players on top of those leagues, and we'll get a new set of complaints from people who want to replicate the achievements without the same investment.

Last edited by Qarl on Aug 27, 2013, 7:35:20 PM
One of the issues I have playing self-found is 'mandatory' items, things like granites and skillgems.

Edit: Too used to quoting, still.
"
Qarl wrote:

In the existing leagues, there is nothing stopping anyone from playing self-found, and we know many of our players do. We also have players that only engage rarely with other players, trading and partying occasionally.

So, as you can play self found in an existing league, I doubt we need to separate out the leagues. The question then is, are there progression problems with self found. I think there are two parts to this:

Can you play through self found? Currently there are issues with this, especially around the 40s. One of the main problems here is the availability of 4-linked items. Gear progression gets hard here, as replacement gear requires both beating existing gear in stats, and in skill support. This isn't usually an issue earlier, as you aren't needing full skill sets, and can skimp on stats and still progress quickly.

If we are going to make changes, it will likely be on the ability to make or the availability of 4 linked items.

The second issue is, what is the player expectation of self-found play. In general the main issue comes when players look to the top of ladders and to streamers to direct what their play experience would be like. This gives players a very distorted view of what they should be able to achieve. In general these players are pushing every advantage they can from trade, long play, group play.

Often, when I get told - "everyone is doing X", and I have a look, there are often only a handful of people doing, its just often these are the most visible. An example of this is 6-link Shavronne's. If I look at over level 90 characters, in all leagues, played in the last month, well under 50 players have Shavronne's Wrappings equipped. And if I look at the stats, if you want to die, wear a Shavronne's.

We will not be making a league to make it possible to replicate the play of these players. 1) We don't think its needed. 2) From past experience, if we make accommodations to make it possible to replicate these players, these players will still beat you. If we made a self found league with competitive advantages but solo play, you'll see the same players on top of those leagues, and we'll get a new set of complaints from people who want to replicate the achievements without the same investment.

Thanks, didn't expect a Dev response and especially such a informative one that early. :D
I'll include it into the main post and see if people are still interested in discussing it.
"
Qarl wrote:

Personally I find the biggest brick wall for self found happens around act 2 merciless.
It's the main reason I stopped playing onslaught. It forced me to start a character built solely for magic finding, a character I did not want to play, and I soon after burnt out on the game and ended up quitting.
"
boof wrote:
"
Qarl wrote:

Personally I find the biggest brick wall for self found happens around act 2 merciless.
It's the main reason I stopped playing onslaught. It forced me to start a character built solely for magic finding, a character I did not want to play, and I soon after burnt out on the game and ended up quitting.

Absolutely agreed, with all of my characters this was the case unless I got lucky or had reusable gear from another character (which is pretty much cheating in that respect), and I even tend to build towards that part of the game.
"
Qarl wrote:

Forcing yourself to play self found and playing in a self found league is not the same at all.

1) you don't have an empty stash just for that character (even if you empty out a stash the temptation will always be there plus you may accidentally buy items from npcs with currency you didn't earn)

2) if you group with others you will be severely weaker than them (they will carry you)

3) In the ladder you will be competing with people with much better gear and not with other self found players

4) as a min-maxer you will never enjoy a self enforced self found
"
H4T3MONG3R wrote:
That's a whole lot of post and all of it ignores the fact that you can play selffound on any league you want....

Ya think?
Pretty sure the OP is suggesting a self found league, where drops aren't influenced by the economy.

I'd love it. I's my #1 problem with PoE as it is atm. Hours of trash. Nothing but trash for hours and hours. Ohh, a unique dropped, guess what, you guess it , it's trash.
I do not like being penalized by the existence of a trading economy.
four links and player expectations are the problem, seriously ?
Dogs Summoner - http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/885199
"
"
H4T3MONG3R wrote:
That's a whole lot of post and all of it ignores the fact that you can play selffound on any league you want....

Ya think?
Pretty sure the OP is suggesting a self found league, where drops aren't influenced by the economy.

I'd love it. I's my #1 problem with PoE as it is atm. Hours of trash. Nothing but trash for hours and hours. Ohh, a unique dropped, guess what, you guess it , it's trash.
I do not like being penalized by the existence of a trading economy.

Why are penalized. You can play how you want? What exactly is your goal? If you don't want to or don't have the means to trade don't.

In a self found league you wouldn't be able to trade and other neither, so what gives.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info