ELE LIGHTNING STRIKE - ALL T16s, Shaper, Uber Atziri, HOGM, Chayula, Elder

"
qwertazx wrote:
why not frenzy as main attack

Hi, thanks for question. Frenzy gives less DPS than Double Strike. You will need to invest more passive points on the build's tree than someone with Double Strike in order to get approx. the same DPS, and you will also have more mana issues than someone with Double Strike - unless you are using Soul Taker axe.

Less DPS: (with current support gem set up on Bringer of Rain)
With my current passive tree:
- 20% level 20 Double Strike DPS is 17.2K with Hatred and Haste, if I get 4 frenzy charges in battle - then my Double Strike DPS goes to 18.6K and attacks/sec (APS) are 10.1
- 20% level 19 Frenzy is 11.3K with Hatred and Haste, if I get 4 frenzy charges in battle - then my Frenzy DPS goes to 16.9K and APS are 12.4. Less than my Double Strike DPS, while also using up more mana due to the higher attack speed

My Frenzy gem is not yet level 20 but even then I don't think the DPS would surpass Double Strike

- You would need to invest additional passive points on the tree to raise the maximum number of frenzy charges in order for Frenzy to have higher DPS than Double Strike - however Double Strike can also benefit from the higher maximum of frenzy charges

- This is what happens if you get 2 extra frenzy charges from the tree (this requires a 3 point investment to get those nodes), giving a total of 6 frenzy charges in battle:
-> Double Strike with 6 frenzy charges: DPS of 19.2K, 10.4 attacks/sec
-> Frenzy with 6 frenzy charges: DPS of 20.0K, 14.1 attacks/sec
- The higher attacks/sec is great for our Life Gain on Hit, however unless you are using Soul Taker you will have trouble keeping your mana up for attacks

More Mana Intensive:
- If you are using Mana Leech - you would prefer to have your DPS as high as possible without increasing your attack speed too much. This is because mana leech is based on a % of the damage dealt on hit, however each hit costs mana to use and so the more often you hit the more mana you use. This is why very high attack speed without a corresponding increase in damage can cause you to run into mana problems
- If you compare the results above between Double Strike and Frenzy with 6 frenzy charges: Frenzy gives about a 4% increase in DPS over Double Strike (20.0K vs. 19.2K), however Frenzy also results in about a 40% increase in your APS over Double Strike (14.1 attacks/sec vs. 10.4)
-> This is not effective as you are essentially burning mana 40% faster to get a 4% increase in DPS

I would recommend using Double Strike with this build, and then gaining frenzy charges to boost your damage through:
i) Blood Rage or
ii) using Frenzy with your Double Strike - this requires more thinking in fights as you have to watch your frenzy charge timer and remember to switch to Frenzy attack occassionally to keep your frenzy charges up before they time out (I will showcase this strategy in my next video).
Last edited by Ceryneian on Sep 25, 2013, 12:05:06 AM
I'd like to contribute to this build. At level 40 I came over
which I bought for 1chaos+2alcs. With mind drinker and these gloves even single targets can be constantly doublestriked. Bonus is the IAS and Life leech
"
Ceryneian wrote:
"
qwertazx wrote:
why not frenzy as main attack

Hi, thanks for question. Frenzy gives less DPS than Double Strike. You will need to invest more passive points on the build's tree than someone with Double Strike in order to get approx. the same DPS, and you will also have more mana issues than someone with Double Strike - unless you are using Soul Taker axe.

Less DPS: (with current support gem set up on Bringer of Rain)
With my current passive tree:
- 20% level 20 Double Strike DPS is 17.2K with Hatred and Haste, if I get 4 frenzy charges in battle - then my Double Strike DPS goes to 18.6K and attacks/sec (APS) are 10.1
- 20% level 19 Frenzy is 11.3K with Hatred and Haste, if I get 4 frenzy charges in battle - then my Frenzy DPS goes to 16.9K and APS are 12.4. Less than my Double Strike DPS, while also using up more mana due to the higher attack speed

My Frenzy gem is not yet level 20 but even then I don't think the DPS would surpass Double Strike

- You would need to invest additional passive points on the tree to raise the maximum number of frenzy charges in order for Frenzy to have higher DPS than Double Strike - however Double Strike can also benefit from the higher maximum of frenzy charges

- This is what happens if you get 2 extra frenzy charges from the tree (this requires a 3 point investment to get those nodes), giving a total of 6 frenzy charges in battle:
-> Double Strike with 6 frenzy charges: DPS of 19.2K, 10.4 attacks/sec
-> Frenzy with 6 frenzy charges: DPS of 20.0K, 14.1 attacks/sec
- The higher attacks/sec is great for our Life Gain on Hit, however unless you are using Soul Taker you will have trouble keeping your mana up for attacks

More Mana Intensive:
- If you are using Mana Leech - you would prefer to have your DPS as high as possible without increasing your attack speed too much. This is because mana leech is based on a % of the damage dealt on hit, however each hit costs mana to use and so the more often you hit the more mana you use. This is why very high attack speed without a corresponding increase in damage can cause you to run into mana problems
- If you compare the results above between Double Strike and Frenzy with 6 frenzy charges: Frenzy gives about a 4% increase in DPS over Double Strike (20.0K vs. 19.2K), however Frenzy also results in about a 40% increase in your APS over Double Strike (14.1 attacks/sec vs. 10.4)
-> This is not effective as you are essentially burning mana 40% faster to get a 4% increase in DPS

I would recommend using Double Strike with this build, and then gaining frenzy charges to boost your damage through:
i) Blood Rage or
ii) using Frenzy with your Double Strike - this requires more thinking in fights as you have to watch your frenzy charge timer and remember to switch to Frenzy attack occassionally to keep your frenzy charges up before they time out (I will showcase this strategy in my next video).

thanks for the explanation
You can also try cyclone, the problem with it is you either love the skill or hate it ;)
My guides
HC melee ranger: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/507976
HC RF scion: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/666667
HC RF marauder: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/842382
RF resource guide: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/832331
Hey just curious. I have some gear I would like to see if you find it suitable for this build.
I haven't started it yet but would like to if this stuff suffices for end game maps.

this is the main gear I think I'd use.
Thanks. Looks like a pretty fun build.
"
Hey just curious. I have some gear I would like to see if you find it suitable for this build.
I haven't started it yet but would like to if this stuff suffices for end game maps.

this is the main gear I think I'd use.
Thanks. Looks like a pretty fun build.

Hi! Yes! The build will work well with that gear, and you will have a lot of fun. The only required pieces are Bringer of Rain and Stone of Lazhwar - for both blind, evasion, block, and good spell block.

That shield is very good - the evasion is EXTREMELY high! Most high evasion shields are 1500+ evasion. Ideally you would prefer to get life/int (so you can use the high levels of Enfeeble and Tempest Shield int gems) on the shield as well. The dagger has very good damage too, keep looking out for an upgrade on the dagger - to see if there is a 1H weapon you can get with 300+ DPS for end game. As long as you can get some life and resistances from your other gear, and get your health above 2.5K for end game - you will be fine.

If you decide to use that shield - I recommend Rainbowstrides with your Lazhwar Stone to get as high spell block as possible: ~56% with Tempest Shield. If you decide to go with Rathpith for shield instead then you will easily get max spell block of 75%, and you can use a different pair of boots instead of Rainbowstrides. I'm using Sin Trek because they give a lot of evasion and int (for me to use Rathpith), and are very cheap ~1-2chaos for end game boots. However - I have done maps with the 56% spell block - and it works well too. If you go against heavy spell bosses like Piety/Megarea - then I recommend getting 75% max spell block (through Saffell's Frame or Rathpith).
Last edited by Ceryneian on Sep 27, 2013, 11:23:13 PM
Looking for suggestions on anything else I can add to the guide that would be helpful for others - please post here or PM me. I am making one final highlight video combining all my gameplay, including new use of Frenzy to gain frenzy charges and the Smoke Mine, and then I will add a note in the passive tree section about Dodge, and then wait for the new Act 3!
Last edited by Ceryneian on Sep 27, 2013, 11:47:47 PM
"
Ceryneian wrote:
Smoke Mine

Did you get Smoke Mine to work? I tried it, but it seems useless as escape skill comparing to Whirling Blades.

BTW As I showed my build sharing some similarities at beginning of this topics, I have to report that it worked well and as I planned I got to lvl 77 without deaths. The only change was, that I switched to Enfeeble when entered maps, having Blind on main attack was not enough. Will test it further but maybe later on, as it's time for eva/ar Facebreaker to level ;)
Anticipation slowly dissipates...
"
phenonymous wrote:
I'd like to contribute to this build. At level 40 I came over
which I bought for 1chaos+2alcs. With mind drinker and these gloves even single targets can be constantly doublestriked. Bonus is the IAS and Life leech

Phenonymous thanks a lot for the suggestion, I'm sure many will find it helpful as mana is sometimes an issue in the early-mid levels. I have quite a few updates to the guide to make and I will add this in.

tmaciak - I'm testing smoke mine for those who cannot use Bringer of Rain, or would like to use a chest piece with this build, as a way to help them incorporate blind into the build. It can also function for escape and re-initiation, but as you mention it is not that effective.

Updates coming to guide:

- Items: adding in a few cheap, yet effective items that are incredibly useful for leveling. Can be used from early stage and into Merciless: Slitherpinch gloves (phenonymous), Fairgraves' Tricorne, Wurm's Molt belt. Cheap end game boots: Sin Trek
- Hardcore alternative build trees (mvm)
- Stats: screenshots of current stats
- Mechanics: effective HP, energy shield vs. stuns, estimates for % physical avoidance
- New skills that can be incorporated: Frenzy, Smoke Mine
- Adding note on build without Dodge and Acrobatics (for high block users)
- Revamping map guide with mini notes for tips against certain hard bosses (Vaal, Weaver, Piety, Magaera)
- Adding a small guide section on flasks
- Adding highlight summary video
Last edited by Ceryneian on Oct 1, 2013, 1:35:21 AM
what do you think about running this build with 20q frenzy? you can get additional 84% phys dmg and 161% attack speed at gem lvl 20,so you can drop some dmg nodes and go for even more defense

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info