Ice Shot

"
Chris wrote:
Path of Exile Version 2.0.0: The Awakening Patch Notes

Projectile skills no longer "shotgun". You can't hit the same target with more than one simultaneously-created projectile from the same source any more. They've been rebalanced around this.

If I understand correctly, Ice Shot should still be able to "reverse shotgun", since the cones aren't simultaneously created.

Did anyone try it in beta ?

does the extra cold damage from the hatred aura get added to the cone?
Damage Based On, such as Hatred and Added Fire, are calculated before Conversion takes place. Despite the 100% Conversion to Cold, you still get the full benefit of Damage Based On Physical modifiers.

So: yes.
Most of this skill's damage comes from the 100% physical => cold damage cone. When linked with multiple projectiles, the separate arrows will not hit the same target. However, the cone aoe can and will often overlap to completely decimate anything behind the front row of mobs, especially when used with Herald of Ice.

DPS tooltip only accounts for the intial arrow hit damage without factoring in the cone aoe, which is very misleading in terms of gauging power. Each target hit by an arrow that pierces procs the cone. If linked to chain, the cone aoe can come at various angles, which helps with the group clear in a more uniform fashion.

The 100% physical -> cold makes this skill the most efficient in terms of element damage scaling off the tree. While 15% phys increase on the tree may seem the same as 15% ele damage for dps, it isn't. Elemental damage also scales added ele damage from affixes, auras, and heralds.
This might be a bad place to post this but is Ice Shot+Chain worth it or nah?
Disclaimer: I'm not that keen on PoE's postgame, so my experience with high-end mapping is little to none.

It's decent enough, a safer version of the old classic GMP Chain Lightning Arrow due to the Chill patches and Freezes. Its effectiveness is slightly unpredictable due to the cone-shaped AoE, but it looks rad as hell so w/e.

The biggest difference between Lightning Arrow and Ice Shot when it comes to GMP + Chain funtimes, is that Lightning Arrow multihits with GMP even against a single target (arrows striking walls can all hit the same enemy). As such, a Chaining Ice Shot tends to rely a little more on a single-target killer.

Edit@Mark, re single targets: Yep! That's why I specifically mention, 'a single target' :) As long as there's multiple guys around, it's all good.
Last edited by Vipermagi on Oct 21, 2015, 7:50:03 PM
I find chain on ice shot to be interesting, simply because chain, more than other supports, changes the direction the arrows fly, which makes a significant difference to ice shot due to it dealing damage in a narrow arc behind the arrow hit. Can be very effective on groups.
I suspect Vipermagi's on the nose regarding it's performance vs single targets, but it's worth noting that in the case of a boss surrounded by a few weaker monsters, chain's good because it can help make more of those damage arcs hit the boss, due to turning the arrows towards it.
1.There is a AoE tag.

So, do i take it clear:

Initial arrow'a damage does NOT scale with AoE
Blast damage DOES scale with AoE.

How daes AoE range affect to it?
It makes cone wider, longer or both?

Blast have the same damage type (and damage value) as inintial arrow. So it can poison, ignite and so on. Is it right?
"Отрастил скилл - имеешь право ногибать" СерБ
1. Correct.
2. It's an x-degree cone, the further it reaches, the wider it gets. Inc AoE improves the range, and thus the final width indirectly.
3. The cone has 100% Physical to Cold Conversion, as opposed to 40% on the initial arrow. It's mentioned in the flavourtext :> Additionally, the cone scales with AoE Damage, so it can deal a bit more Damage if you have AoE Damage modifiers. Those are the only two differences; it can Poison (if you can deal Chaos Damage), Ignite and all that just fine.
Cone's damage is also increased by projectile dmg, right?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info